The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-20-2012, 03:07 PM   #1
SHANE 73Z

Shane's build thread

Hey all,

Just wanted to introduce myself & outline the build presently occurring in the garage. This is not my first go round with these trucks. Story time……..

For my first vehicle (1993 or so), my father & I restored a 1969 GMC pickup. It was a mutt. We started with 3 trucks & a pile of parts to end up with a ½ ton long bed, 4wd, sbc, auto. The frame started as a 2wd drive that we transferred the front leaf spring mounts. We rebuilt the 350 and installed it with the supposedly rebuilt trans & transfer case. The truck served me well through my last year of high school & into college. The trans crapped the bed & my father performed a swap to an SM465 & Rockwell T221 case. Not long after that the coupler between the trans & t-case gave up & I parked the truck.

I had been looking for a first gen Camaro as a graduation gift (to myself) from college. Just before graduation in 1997 I found my 73 Camaro Z28(hence the screen name)locally. I had to fix some minor issues & daily drove it, except for winter. When I parked the truck I finally bought a true daily driver. My parents moved away from the house I grew up in & left the parked truck with a friend. Without our knowledge he scrapped the truck due to new city ordinances.

I had worked on my 73 for the last 15 years…….but only mechanically. I enjoyed the car & built it to suit my tastes only. I intended for the car to be a great all around machine that could hopefully tackle an autocross from time to time. It certainly wasn’t the most comfortable car, but it put a smile on my face when behind the wheel. In those 15 years there were only a few instances of it being undrivable and it only ever saw a tow truck once…………due to a failed pressure plate.

To the present…

My father bought a 1969 GMC C1500 long bed a few years ago. About a month ago, he decided he was done with it & asked if I wanted to buy it. I didn’t hesitate for a second. I sold the 73 as a roller minus the rear axle. I intend for this truck to be my new hot rod, mostly for scaring little kids and making black marks here & there.

I purchased a swb coil frame to put under it & am currently looking for a stepside bed. My next post will outline what is currently procured for the build.

Shane
SHANE 73Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:09 PM   #2
SHANE 73Z

Re: Shane's build thread

Alright everyone, here are the details of the parts compiled so far. This is mainly the parts list to get the rolling chassis together.

Early Classic Enterprises
-Tubular trailing arms – modified for Hotchkis pivots & rear sway bar
-Trailing arm x-member
-Rear chassis x-member
-Automatic trans x-member – modified to properly position TKO/SBC combo

Hotchkis
-4”/6” drop springs
-Upper & Lower A-arms
-Sway bars
-Antisquat kit
-Panhard bar kit
-Steering centerlink & tierod sleeves
-Shock relocation brackets & Bilsteins

CPP
-SBC frame towers
-Trailing arm perches

Junkyard
-1981 G10 van steering box
-1975 C10 Spindles

Wilwood
-D52 twin piston calipers
-D154 rear parking break kit

The following are parts my 1973 Camaro donated before it left as a roller
-406 SBC with EFI
-Tremec TKO600 with Hanlon motorsports mid shifter
-GM passenger 10 bolt with Torsen helical diff & 3.73 ratio
-Aeromotive 20 gal fuel cell with A1000
-Aeromotive pump controller
-Electric fan/shroud/Spal controller
-CNC Brakes dual master/bias bar arrangement

Tires & Wheels
-Blackrock 15x8 & 15X10 satin black
-M/T Radial SR 26x10 & 26X12

Shane
Old 07-20-2012, 07:45 PM   #3
Tinkermc

welcome to the forum, I think you are off to a real nice start, have fun and enjoy yourself
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:18 PM   #4
SHANE 73Z

So I have been a bit lax on the project update. But I do have 2 things to share. Pictures & progress.

Here we go:

This is the truck I started with on a trailer from my parents house. It turns out that I believe the truck is a 68 but has had the tag swapped for a 69. I dont care either way as this will be a keeper.

There were some aspects that went beyond just bolting parts together. Here are a few that were required.

The first was mods to the ECE trailing arms. With the Hotchkis parts I needed to add a mounting point for the rear swaybar drop links. Here is a mockup picture and the finished product. We used an 1/8" wall 1/2" tube for the thru bolt.

We also replaced the bushing sleeve in the front of the arm to accept the Hotchkis spherical bushings.

The next was making the ECE crossmember work for the TKO. This was rather simple really. The first picture shows it bolted into place in existing frame holes. The second shows the finished product. We simply cut the tongue from the low rear facing position. Next we cut 1/2" of length from it. Then we remounted it on the front side flush with the top of the tube.

Here are some pics of how I mounted the fuel tank. The first is the frame that we made. The second shows the frame bolted to the tank using the flange we added to the tank.

Here it is mounted in the frame. I did have to section part of the angled crossmember for clearance.

Here are some pics of where the Energy Suspension motor mounts were clearanced to work with the CPP towers.

Here is the clutch linkage area & my own ballstud bracket for the engine side.

Here are the mods to the frame bracket to work with the Hotchkis shock relocation.

Here is my mockup zbar. It clears the header just fine at the tube but the straight outer arms just touches the header.

Heres one of the parts that pleases me the most. The exhaust consists Doug Thorley or Stans 375y model headers. They are Tri-Ys that are meant to fit a second gen Camaro. It just happens they fit extremely well and offer great ground clearance even with manual clutch linkage. This is with the engine in the stock SBC location.

Heres the rest of the exhaust.

Here is the fuel line plumbing.

Brakes

Hotchkis center link

Shane

Last edited by SHANE 73Z; 01-05-2013 at 09:28 PM.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:26 PM   #5
SHANE 73Z

Last of the update for now.

Had some friends over to swap the cab from chassis to chassis.

My $3 shift tower boot. Its a 3" temporary pipe cap from the hardware store. A slot for the shifter stub, a couple holes for the shift stop bolts, a zip tie & voila!

Shifter coming through the high hump with the shifter in the mid position.

My next steps are to get the seats installed and figure out what I need for a column & shift lever. I am also working on getting the clutch linkage ironed out and the core support installed & radiator plumbed.

Shane

Last edited by SHANE 73Z; 01-05-2013 at 09:32 PM.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:55 PM   #6
67ctener

Awesome job
Posted via Mobile Device
90 k2500
91 s10
#chevyonly
67ctener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:14 AM   #7
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHANE 73Z View Post
Hey all,

Just wanted to introduce myself & outline the build presently occurring in the garage. This is not my first go round with these trucks. Story time……..

For my first vehicle (1993 or so), my father & I restored a 1969 GMC pickup. It was a mutt. We started with 3 trucks & a pile of parts to end up with a ½ ton long bed, 4wd, sbc, auto. The frame started as a 2wd drive that we transferred the front leaf spring mounts. We rebuilt the 350 and installed it with the supposedly rebuilt trans & transfer case. The truck served me well through my last year of high school & into college. The trans crapped the bed & my father performed a swap to an SM465 & Rockwell T221 case. Not long after that the coupler between the trans & t-case gave up & I parked the truck.

I had been looking for a first gen Camaro as a graduation gift (to myself) from college. Just before graduation in 1997 I found my 73 Camaro Z28(hence the screen name)locally. I had to fix some minor issues & daily drove it, except for winter. When I parked the truck I finally bought a true daily driver. My parents moved away from the house I grew up in & left the parked truck with a friend. Without our knowledge he scrapped the truck due to new city ordinances.

I had worked on my 73 for the last 15 years…….but only mechanically. I enjoyed the car & built it to suit my tastes only. I intended for the car to be a great all around machine that could hopefully tackle an autocross from time to time. It certainly wasn’t the most comfortable car, but it put a smile on my face when behind the wheel. In those 15 years there were only a few instances of it being undrivable and it only ever saw a tow truck once…………due to a failed pressure plate.

To the present…

My father bought a 1969 GMC C1500 long bed a few years ago. About a month ago, he decided he was done with it & asked if I wanted to buy it. I didn’t hesitate for a second. I sold the 73 as a roller minus the rear axle. I intend for this truck to be my new hot rod, mostly for scaring little kids and making black marks here & there.

I purchased a swb coil frame to put under it & am currently looking for a stepside bed. My next post will outline what is currently procured for the build.

Shane

Hi Shane, and welcome to the board!

Interesting background info. Why do you still use the 73Z in your screen name if you sold the car? What is your line of work? The reason I ask is your precision in your narrative and format, plus I like how you've marked the nut's relation to the thread in this pic:

I'd guess an engineer of some sort.
Zoomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:56 PM   #8
SHANE 73Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ctener View Post
Awesome job
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks 67ctener!
Old 01-06-2013, 02:05 PM   #9
SHANE 73Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomin View Post
Hi Shane, and welcome to the board!

Interesting background info. Why do you still use the 73Z in your screen name if you sold the car? What is your line of work? The reason I ask is your precision in your narrative and format, plus I like how you've marked the nut's relation to the thread in this pic:

I'd guess an engineer of some sort.
Zoomin,

I just use the screen name because it would be a pain to change it for all the forums I belong too. I can think of atleast 6 at the moment...lol.

I started with an associates degree in drafting. I have basically been doing mechanical design ever since. For my present employer, I design subsystems for electric utility substations. The writing style comes from writing procedures in the office and reports when I do field work.

I marked all the chassis bolts, as my projects tend to jump from different points. I dont like to forget chassis bolts...

Shane
Old 01-06-2013, 04:35 PM   #10
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

It's difficult for me when I actually see punctuation and grammar! LOL
Posted via Mobile Device
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:23 PM   #11
gdavis

I like the build. The homemade items are the best. It only takes a little brain power and..... you know the rest. Happy building there guy.
gdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:33 AM   #12
SHANE 73Z

Thanks Tom & gdavis,

I like solving the problems associated with using universal or repurposed parts. I also like making my own parts. That is half the fun of this stuff.

Later, Shane
Old 01-27-2013, 03:28 AM   #13
SHANE 73Z

More progress:

I failed to mention in the parts list but I decided to run Scat Pro 90 lowback seats. I felt that they will fit the theme Im angling towards.

You can mount the seats 2 different ways. Scat offers a single frame that mounts both seats or you can run individuals like Subs/Blazers. I wanted the LMC repro console to sit higher in relation to the seats, so I went with the bench style bracket. I added a piece of angle to mount the front of the console. The rear fasteners go through the rear tube.

I assembled the frame & seats temporarily to see how they were positioned. Of course I was unhappy with how they sat outta-the-box. I found there was enough room to shorten the frame legs 3". This puts the front cross rail almost right on the floor brace at the hump. This also allows the tops of the seatbacks to sit below the bottom of the window.

Pics:

I also was having trouble getting the clutch linkage right. I started with a L6 zbar that I had to shorten a little, but the upper arm hit the #7 header tube. I found that American Classic Truck Parts repros both the L6 & V8 zbars. The V8 has a dogleg that allowed the clearance, so I ordered one up.

Only trouble.........the tube length was too long. So I had to have it sectioned between the arms. Now it works with the straight upper rod & I used a heim & cut off 3/8" bolt for the lower rod.

Pics:

Heres a link to the repro clutch linkage:

http://www.americanclassic.com/asp/d...ype=to&exyear=

Shane
Old 01-28-2013, 01:45 PM   #14
67cheby
67cheby

man this thing is SWEET !
67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:51 PM   #15
SHANE 73Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67cheby View Post
man this thing is SWEET !
Thanks man, thats means alot coming from a celeb like yourself....lol Love that truck of yours.

Shane
Old 01-29-2013, 05:07 PM   #16
Rusbuilt

You sure have a lot of good parts on that thing! Nice work!
Rusbuilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:33 PM   #17
SHANE 73Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusbuilt View Post
You sure have a lot of good parts on that thing! Nice work!
Thanks Rus,

This is my first ground-up build and it is the sum of the last 15 years of upgrading parts and horse trading and killer deals and............
Old 01-30-2013, 01:24 PM   #18
Katrina/10

Very impressive! Do you have a recommendation on where to buy one of those TKOs?

1971 Chevrolet C/10
1951 GMC 100
1977 GMC C15
1955 Chevrolet 3100
Katrina/10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:53 PM   #19
Rusbuilt

Quote:
Thanks Rus,

This is my first ground-up build and it is the sum of the last 15 years of upgrading parts and horse trading and killer deals and............
lol I know how it goes! Keep up the good work, I'll be following!
Rusbuilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:06 PM   #20
SHANE 73Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrina/10 View Post
Very impressive! Do you have a recommendation on where to buy one of those TKOs?
Gary,

After speaking with Bob Hanlon (Hanlon Motorsports), he is probably the only guy I would buy from at this point.

He knows their weak points, he knows how to make them work for the conditions you intend to use them under, etc.

There are a lot of people who bash the TKO because they dont inform themselves of their limitations. There are folks that complained that they wouldnt shift at 7500 rpms......they werent designed to do it.

He also sold me on his mid shifter, the nice thing is he charges the same as the Tremec mid shift but it has some other features the Tremec doesnt have. He also will give you a credit for the included rear shifter that you wont need.

Great guy to deal with all around.

Shane
Old 01-31-2013, 11:48 AM   #21
67cheby
67cheby

Quote:
Thanks man, thats means alot coming from a celeb like yourself....lol Love that truck of yours.

Shane
LOL, thanks man !celeb...cracked me up !
67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:30 PM   #22
SHANE 73Z

The latest update...

Seat installation. Heres the one piece Scat frame lowered 3" with Pro90 Lowbacks.

Heres a set of Modo Innovations aluminum pedals. Thanks to Shannon at Modo & Mike at Musclerodz for scrounging these up for me.

Radiator is an Entropy. Rad cover from Hotrod Dynamics. My own fan shroud with 16" fan.

The steering column is in for good and I am getting the steering wheel finished & getting a shift lever figured out.

Then we hang the sheetmetal and wire.

Shane
Old 02-23-2013, 12:12 AM   #23
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

That's really coming along nice!
Posted via Mobile Device
Zoomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:57 PM   #24
SHANE 73Z

Thanks Steve!

Should have more in the next few days as well.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:08 PM   #25
Hardesty454

Looks great! Excited to follow along.

1971 c10 - ground up in progress

Tripp's Speed Shop Build -
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=589750
Hardesty454 is offline   Reply With Quote