The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-17-2009, 04:41 PM   #1
kamby

1972 GMC Custom Camper Towing Capacity

I've been trying to find out what the towing capacity is on my 1972 GMC C2500 Super Custom, Custom Camper Pickup.

The rear end i found out is the 9 or 10 bolt, not sure if its the right one for the truck or not i know its not original as i found junkyard markings on it
(mileage and some other numbers)

As i dont have an owners manual for it, id like to get the towing capacity. i just cut the old hitch out that was welded to the frame, my draw bar wouldnt fit it, so i assumed it was a homemade class I hitch. I installed a class III on it with 6k ball tow, 8k weight distributing or something like that.

The heaviest item i have is a roughly 2500lb boat/trailer and soon hopefully a 1800lb rated utility trailer about 300lb dry weight. But in the future i may want to tow more weight like a 20+ foot camper or 5th wheel...

Thanks for the help, oh and where can i find an owners manual like the one youd get from the dealer.
Old 04-17-2009, 04:55 PM   #2
4x4Bowhunter

Re: 1972 GMC Custom Camper Towing Capacity

Where did you get your CIII hitch?
4x4Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 05:00 PM   #3
kamby

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4Bowhunter View Post
Where did you get your CIII hitch?
At Etrailer.com

http://www.etrailer.com/pc-H~75034.h...cleid=19721293
Old 04-17-2009, 05:05 PM   #4
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

need to know the engine and the gearing to give you numbers.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 05:11 PM   #5
kamby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
need to know the engine and the gearing to give you numbers.
Not sure on the gearing, the engine is a 350. Trans is an automatic th400 i think.
Old 04-17-2009, 05:50 PM   #6
69GMCLonghorn

The book will give you a number, but it doesn't mean crap. Think of it this way. You're not going to break the truck as long as your hitch is rated for what you're towing, and is properly installed. Make sure your tires are proper for the weight, and that your brakes are in top shape. With a small block, you're good for probably 8 - 10,000 lbs, depending on what HP you're at. Watch how the springs and tires are squatting. It will be VERY apparent if you're overloaded.

My point is, with towing, common sense outweighs a number in a book.
69GMCLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 05:54 PM   #7
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

While I agree with that 100%, it's nice to have the numbers if a cop is givin you a hard time.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 06:07 PM   #8
kamby

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69GMCLonghorn View Post
The book will give you a number, but it doesn't mean crap. Think of it this way. You're not going to break the truck as long as your hitch is rated for what you're towing, and is properly installed. Make sure your tires are proper for the weight, and that your brakes are in top shape. With a small block, you're good for probably 8 - 10,000 lbs, depending on what HP you're at. Watch how the springs and tires are squatting. It will be VERY apparent if you're overloaded.

My point is, with towing, common sense outweighs a number in a book.
Of course i use common sense when towing anything, anything from my 900lb camper to a 53' utilty reefer trailer. My main curiosity is to see what these are rated for. This does have the custom camper package so i know it has the beffier leaf springs, smallest spring being 1/2" thick. Has the dana 60 rear end, coudnt find the numbers to cross the dom over to get the ratio.

The back end fo the truck sits up kinda high, kinda like is sloped forward, i hauled a bundle 4'x8' x 1/2" ply in the back and it leveled the truck out. 70 sheets weighed approx 3000lbs according to the place i got the ply from. Weight sounded kinda high to me that comes out to be roughly 42lbs per sheet i dunno.

Also had the brakes redone: new pads, new drums, springs, seals, bearings, cylindars, etc.. basically everything back there is new except the mounting plate coming off the axle and the spindle things that go into the rearend, they were actually removed from to check the teeth on them.

The fronts are disc breaks and are looking good. Also front end is torsion suspension

Last edited by kamby; 04-17-2009 at 06:11 PM.
kamby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 11:18 PM   #9
spinning wheels

I tried to find a towing capacity but only found load capacity chart.

These trucks had 3 different rear axles. So, it would be hard to say which one came on your truck. I have the same truck, mine has 4:10 gears and has the corporate rear differential. Equipped with a 350/350 drivetrain setup.

I think your rear bumper was stock, as mine is also welded to the frame. I hate the look, but when I towed a car trailer with it, I figured that bumper wasn't going anywheres.

The heaviest car I towed, was my '70 Chevy Camaro. Believe me, I noticed it behind me. This old truck struggled up one grade. I figure, the Camaro alone weighs approximately 3800 lbs. Plus the car trailer.

Hope this info helps.

Here is a pic of the rear step bumper.
Attached Images

Old 04-17-2009, 11:33 PM   #10
kamby

Your step on your bumber sticks out a bit farther than mine. Also my reciveer that was on there stuck out about 1' below the bumper and had a bar that ran to the frame by the differential and two off shoots that ran to the frame by the bumper mounts. I'll take a picture of it tomorrow.

As far as i can see my bumper is bolted on with 4 bolts each side. then the hitch thing musta been added on later. It was kind of annoying and actually got the truck stuck on the support bar for the old hitch so its a good thing its gone.

Here you can see one of the bolts for the bumper is goes on the side of the frame, I will snag a pic of the old hitch. This shows how my new hitch is mounted, Grade 8 bolt, grade 8 locking flange nut, Simpson Strong Tie Bearing Plate 2"x2", i had the stock hardware for it but felt this setup was a tad strong. Havent torqued it down yet as my torque wrench broke

Last edited by kamby; 04-17-2009 at 11:35 PM.
Old 04-18-2009, 03:17 PM   #11
kamby

Here are some pics.

The bumper of the truck

The hitch on it is the replacement, rusted already. Not even tourqued yet and it supported me stepping on it, and i aint exactly light weighing in at 240

Here is a pic of the old hitch just dripped it off at scrap yard this morning.

Last edited by kamby; 04-18-2009 at 03:21 PM.