The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-09-2011, 10:47 PM   #1
tcb-1
Nothing to see here.....

Early Model Panhead (Harley Davidson) Experts PLEEEEZ!!

Gang,

I have been trying to buy a certain 1950 FL for several years now. The old guy finally tells me a price today..... pretty much straight out of the NADA guide for a no#3 bike, which is 9800.

HOWEVER, this bike is not a no#3. It has not been started since the early 70's. It's rough, but all there and has been garaged the entire time. 25k miles on the clock. Original paint on front fender, a cheap respray on the tank and rear fender. Some pitting on the rims, not terrible though. Decent compression on kickover. Non original buddy seat. No saddle bags or saddle bag mounts Point setup, no magneto. Some missing fender trim (expensive to replace). Front and rear bumperettes. Rust and scratches here and there. Original Good-Year bias plies. Basically a solid bike. But 9800?

I countered at 7000, however I am not an HD expert. My forte' is Triumphs and BSA's. Does my offer sound wayyy off the mark? (He said he'd "think about it"). I have looked through Craigslist, Ebay, Walnecks, and Cycletrader, but couldn't find a stock but "needed work" example to compare it to. Most I found were either restored or chopped up.

I really want this bike, but 2 grand more is what's killing me. If the economy was better, I would already have it, but these days I hold my cards close to my vest.

Thanks for any help!! Or if you know someone I can contact who is good at price estimates, please pm me!!

THANK YOU to our American Soldiers & Veterans - POW MIA "You will NEVER be forgotten".

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. Thomas Jefferson
tcb-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 05:52 AM   #2
cdowns

Re: Early Model Panhead (Harley Davidson) Experts PLEEEEZ!!

seems a bit high, if you're lookin for an accurate resto the seat and especially correct hard saddlebags will cost you alot

you can try CALLING www.panheadcity.com to see if they have any barnfreash projhects they are in northeast georgia// not everthing they have is on the website

if you dont mind waiting till march, a great bike auction down here during bikeweek or the AMCA swapmeet too has lots of barn original stuff show up

try google AMCA and see if there are any national meets closer to you this fall

http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/ind...eets-road-runs
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY

Last edited by cdowns; 09-10-2011 at 05:58 AM.
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:24 AM   #3
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

The down economy has a tendency to de-value nearly everything, but some people try to hold onto the higher end on "collectible" stuff. I would assume that they feel like the collectors still have money, because it was "discretionary" in the first place.
It's the Barrett-Jackson effect.

BTW, I'm a Knucklehead guy, so to me, a Pan is not exactly an early HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:30 AM   #4
special-K
Special Order

It does sound a bit high,yet not unusual. There was a time when any together Panhead could fetch 10K. But I see complete rollers closer to 6k these days. One thing to consider is bikes in this condition are harder to find than restored ones that are priced ridiculously. And sometimes just getting one is the object. Unfortunately,just like me,you don't have deep pockets. I think if he'd take 7-7.5 and maybe take some payments you'd be doing good.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 01:08 PM   #5
tcb-1
Nothing to see here.....

Your right longhair, I should have said, "not exactly early, but not exactly late!" Those knucks are cooler than cool.

Thanks for your help guys, I'm holding out for 7k. Besides, this guy is a good friend of mine. You'd think the buddy "thing" would be worth 2 grand....... or maybe not.

THANK YOU to our American Soldiers & Veterans - POW MIA "You will NEVER be forgotten".

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. Thomas Jefferson
Old 09-10-2011, 01:24 PM   #6
special-K
Special Order

You said "early model Panhead" and it's a '50,the third year of an 18 year run. There were changes in the design throughout the Panhead's day along with the introduction of foot shift a couple years later. Yours is an early model Panhead. As far as early Harleys go,I consider the side valve flatheads early and the OHVs a step into the modern era. Heck,we all draw our lines where we see fit,but any motorcycle 50 or more years old is certainly an early model in one way or another.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 02:03 PM   #7
tcb-1
Nothing to see here.....

Yep Tim, the jockey shift was "replaced" I believe in '54. You could still order a bike with it, but it wasn't standard. Then the next step in the evolutionary tree was in '65, with the electric start Electra Glide (iirc). The '50 I'm hoping to get is OHV, jockey shift, with spark advance on the left hand grip. I have been pampered by Evos for years, so this thing would take some getting used to!!

On another note, I was looking at a '69 Electra Glide a few weeks ago. I "heard" the old school guys liked the later 60's engines since they had the shovel heads (which breathed better) but the bottom end was the same as the pans and were built very solid. Is that a true statement?

Old 09-10-2011, 04:26 PM   #8
Indian113

I think your right about the shovelhead conversion-but it's not a direct fit bolton for a 50. Shovelheads are outside oilers and the 50 is a a inside oiler. Also the 50 should come with points and not a magneto from the factory. I had a guy bring me a 65 he inherited from his dad,he wanted to restore it and keep up with his twincam buddies. I spent a lot of time trying to convince him it wouldn't hold together a that pace. He rides it around town and in parades now. Looks good
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 05:10 PM   #9
tcb-1
Nothing to see here.....

Indian,
the 50 does have points, which is good 'cause mags are BIG money to replace. however, I love points ignitions systems. had them on all of my show vehicles and still have all of my extinct tools for setting them up.

"points will get you home".

Old 09-10-2011, 05:44 PM   #10
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcb-1 View Post
On another note, I was looking at a '69 Electra Glide a few weeks ago. I "heard" the old school guys liked the later 60's engines since they had the shovel heads (which breathed better) but the bottom end was the same as the pans and were built very solid. Is that a true statement?
Yes, some call them Pan/Shovels. It was kind of a cross-over thing that Harley did over a period of 3 years. They went to the newer heads, while retaining the generator type bottom end. (67-68-69) The alternator (nose cone) style blocks appeared in '70.

Tim I wasn't picking, heck in the grand scheme of all things HD, the knucks were quite a few years away from the origination of the company...

I am, and always will be, annoyed with the big corporate folks at HD though. They "stole" those "head" terms from the slang of the users. Originally HD just refered to them as the OHV of a particular year group, as opposed to the flat heads of the same group. As you know, they were both available through at the same time during several generations. They have registered trademarks for words that were not theirs originally.

I loved my knuck (47) but it wouldn't run with the new bikes on the highway today either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 06:49 PM   #11
Indian113

I have a 81 Shovel with a 93in S&S sidewinder kit with S&S heads,a lot of guys try to buy it because it SOUNDS like a Harley. I tell em I ain't gonna live long enough to teach them how to set the lifters or work on it!!!!. God I love that Shaker-but it is old school
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 07:44 PM   #12
tcb-1
Nothing to see here.....

bike in question. sorry for the crappy cell phone pics. worth 7k or 9800? I know, without seeing better pics it's hard to tell.....

Old 09-11-2011, 08:19 AM   #13
cdowns

nice lookin old bike

i dont think that dash is original/unless it has the rare integral tach in the speedo
the luggage rack is later model too from 58on that was available(i've got good money on them recently at swapmeets)
are you sure that seat is not original?

seeing it i'd very slowly in very small steps offer a bit more maybe maxing out my offer to about $8000
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote