The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-24-2018, 10:44 PM   #1
SunSoaked

TKCR seat question

I installed a saddle blanket seat cover today on the bench in my 85. I removed the plastic covers on the ends that cover the swivel mechanism. There is a curved banana shaped bracket that just hangs there and swivels but doesn't appear to do anything. Both sides were the same. Is it some kind of system that adjusts the vertical position of the back of the seat? Mine goes all the way back against the wall anyway so it doesn't matter. Maybe if I had short legs and moved the seat forward it would?
SunSoaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 06:54 AM   #2
TKCR

Re: TKCR seat question

Your talking about this. To be quite honest with you, I haven't figured out why or what that particular part does. It's part of the tilt mechanism on the seat, but it does absolutely nothing but hang there. GM must have put it there for a reason, but why? I haven't figured it out. The bolt is what stops the seat back, gives it a resting or stopping point. But the "banana" bracket that swivels on that bolt, all I see it do, is hang there like a "banana". I spent quite a bit of time trying different things on the seat, to see if I can figure out what its purpose is.
The 81-87 seats of course, are all tilt seats and do not lock in place, gravity is what holds it in the back position. Some of the 73-80 seats were tilt, but you had to unlock them to tilt. There were some 73-80 seats that were fixed and would not tilt.
Attached Images

TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 10:49 AM   #3
SunSoaked

Re: TKCR seat question

Thank you! I came to the same conclusion but wasn't sure if I was missing something.
SunSoaked is offline   Reply With Quote