The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-17-2017, 01:45 PM   #1
Precision Parts
Tech Help

Weatherstrip Install Videos

We created some videos for installing our weatherstrip on a '49. These installs were done at Stoners Speed Shop for their Sema build that we hosted last year. I hope you find them useful. Let us know if you have any questions.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFN...view_as=public
Attached Images

Updates
Subscribe --->Installation Videos
Follow ------->Instagram
Like---------->Facebook
Precision Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 03:39 PM   #2
Joe Pass

Re: Weatherstrip Install Videos

Thanks for sharing....It would be nice to see how the door shuts after this seal installation...Generally a new seal becomes a nightmare of door slamming, latch adjusting in these old truck doors. What your thoughts would be on the after installation blues.
Thanks
Joe Pass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 05:36 AM   #3
Jesse Z
Account Suspended

Thanks - I predict that this will be a very popular video!
Jesse Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 09:19 PM   #4
Jemezcrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Pass View Post
Thanks for sharing....It would be nice to see how the door shuts after this seal installation...Generally a new seal becomes a nightmare of door slamming, latch adjusting in these old truck doors. What your thoughts would be on the after installation blues.
Thanks

Interested to see a response on this
Jemezcrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 09:49 PM   #5
Joe Pass

I'm hearing crickets...lol
Old 02-18-2017, 10:23 PM   #6
73kay

Quote:
Thanks
Yup same here!

1953 3100 235 T5
1985 K5 Blazer 350 700R4 208
73kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 01:13 AM   #7
joedoh

I did mine with the doors mounted like in the video and it was as fun as a cactus enema.

joe, to your question of how the doors shut after, the type of rubber these seals are made of is very spongy and pliable. the drivers door shut exactly the same and the passenger door needed a small extra bit of effort.. the first 3 times. after letting the seals sit in the installed position for a while I didnt see any issues with shutting the door.

I had a 65 that I replaced the door seals on and it was a complete pain to shut the doors every single time, it was a thicker rubber. I eventually adjusted the latch a little because slamming the door over and over and cursing at the top of your lungs is frowned on in most parking lots. "hey look the psycho guy with door OCD is back to get more wings."

I will also say, there is a specific orientation for the seal, WATCH the video, they get it right. getting it wrong puts the thick part of the seal between the door and frame and will keep the door from shutting correctly. the way it shuts with the seal correct is like a, ballcap? sliding over your head? good analogy if you have seen it.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 10:55 AM   #8
Joe Pass

I'm aware of the specific orientation of door seals, been installing them for years and I find that after market seals are generally not to a factory tolerance and made of a denser foam prohibiting most doors from shutting properly. I have spent many hours trimming seals on the back sides to reduce its thickness or it will never work.. I recently installed door seals by Precision on a 77 Camaro which uses pins no glueing. The door won't shut with the window up because the window has to compress into the upper seal. I called them and they said it has to "bed in" but unfortunately it hasn't yet and the customer is pissed.
Anyway, there's a lot of tricks to get some of these doors to work better but never perfect in most cases but I find "softseal" works best for me.
Like I said in my first reply, let's see these factory guys put the door back on and close it.
Joe
Old 02-19-2017, 01:08 PM   #9
joedoh

Quote:
I'm aware of the specific orientation of door seals, been installing them for years and I find that after market seals are generally not to a factory tolerance and made of a denser foam prohibiting most doors from shutting properly. I have spent many hours trimming seals on the back sides to reduce its thickness or it will never work.. I recently installed door seals by Precision on a 77 Camaro which uses pins no glueing. The door won't shut with the window up because the window has to compress into the upper seal. I called them and they said it has to "bed in" but unfortunately it hasn't yet and the customer is pissed.
Anyway, there's a lot of tricks to get some of these doors to work better but never perfect in most cases but I find "softseal" works best for me.
Like I said in my first reply, let's see these factory guys put the door back on and close it.
Joe

oh, sorry, I thought you were asking a general "do these door seals make the door tougher to shut". I didnt realize you were spoiling for a fight about door seals.

I got my seals at bowtie bits, definitely aftermarket just say "47-55 door seals" on the bag sticker, not even amanufacturer name. and they worked perfectly for me, the doors shut normally. only slightly more pressure needed on the passenger side and only the first couple times. the only trouble I had was the same as the guys in the video, I did it with the doors mounted on the truck instead of taking them off.

you are vastly more experienced than me, no question. look at all the door seals you have done!

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 11:43 AM   #10
jweb

The thing to remember is these trucks are old and every door to cab fit is different.

I installed the Precision door seals and there was no way my doors would shut. I tore them off and replaced them with a thinner seal. I had to bend my hinges and modify the striker to even get those to work. I have seen other trucks that don't have a problem with the Precision seals. So I think it's kind of a gamble.

The Precision seals were far less expensive and seemed like good quality, just didn't work for me. If I did another set of doors I would try to temporarily place the seals on to check the fit. Maybe some 3M double sided tape?
jweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 02:19 PM   #11
Precision Parts
Tech Help

Quote:
Thanks
Thanks for the feedback. I have asked Blake who owns the truck if he could shoot a short video of the door closing. May have it on Wednesday for you. Generally the seal will settle down a little after a few weeks.

From what I remember when the truck was at Sema, the door closed with a little force but there was no binding. We've been selling this seal for many years, so it's not a new product for us. Could it be improved? Maybe. Our research and development guy now has one of these trucks at home and will be looking at this in future to see if we could make any improvements.

I hope the video will help people out, especially the orientation of the seal which is critical and a problem we hear about.

Derek

Updates
Follow ------->Instagram
Like---------->Facebook
Old 02-22-2017, 02:18 PM   #12
Hampshire

Like it when vendors take the time to listen and post how to videos - very nicely done!

I just had new weather striping installed and used a product from Metro Moulded parts per the advice of DWCSR (he's done a lot of these).

Anyway, as someone has noted, all of these cab/door fits are different. Mine would not allow the door to close with the standard width weatherstrip. I use the alternative narrower strip available from Metro Moulded and my doors are flush when closed.

The end of my build thread shows the results.
Hampshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 02:21 PM   #13
58CameoAZ

and it was as fun as a cactus enema.

Fell off my chair Laughing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LMAO!
58CameoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 01:36 AM   #14
Precision Parts
Tech Help

As promised, this is Blake showing how his doors closes with our weatherstrip. This was taken today and the weatherstrip went on in October, so it's had a little time to settle in.

https://youtu.be/oY_8P73gij4

Derek

Updates
Follow ------->Instagram
Like---------->Facebook