The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-22-2017, 12:50 AM   #1
vancelot69

high pressure power steering hose

I replaced the power steering gearbox on my 72 Jimmy, and got new hoses for it too, but the high pressure side hose, the flared end that goes into the gearbox is about 1/2" too long, or at least I say that because it's not low enough to for the clip that holds it to the frame to fit over it. I got it from AutoZone. Where can I get one that is the right height? Or do I have to cut it down and flare the end myself?
Attached Images

2003 HD Road King
vancelot69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 07:40 AM   #2
1rippen6

Re: high pressure power steering hose

There is a member on the truck side that sells them in stainless steel should be the same as Jimmy. If you can find it let me know I will look for it.
1rippen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 10:30 AM   #3
vancelot69

I think I see what you're talking about - PICKMUP, but $98? While that's probably a good deal, the one I got from AutoZone is only slightly too long for about $20, although I did only get the pressure hose. I mean, I got some return line, but that was only bulk hose because no one had the right fitting, so I just cleaned off the old one.

I wonder if I could bend it further without kinking it?
2003 HD Road King
Old 05-22-2017, 11:52 AM   #4
hemi43

I would just bend it.
hemi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 02:14 PM   #5
72bowtiestepper

I bought one from NAPA that was higher than the orig. on my 72 C-10...just bend it & it will be fine.
72bowtiestepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 01:51 AM   #6
toolboxchev

Thats a Napa product, I can recognize the packaging. I have the same problem with it, It rubs up against my inner fender well on the thin wall side of the tube.

I had to remove my inner fender well, flare out the section where it turns down then reinstall the whole thing while fighting rusty nuts, broken nuts and everything else.

So far Napa has given me a new replacement, tube flaring tool, cutting tool for the next one I install. I am a bit perturbed to say the least having to redo it again. Uggh, NAPA! I can just imagine the ensuing failure resulting in an really bright engine fire.
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 09:14 AM   #7
hemi43

The fitting is too close to the bend to be able to flare it. Why re-engineer the wheel when you can just bend the damn thing.
hemi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 07:46 PM   #8
toolboxchev

I am about to bend Napa's ear on this first then I will really get around to the bending!
Old 09-03-2017, 02:16 PM   #9
vancelot69

So, I bought a "simple" tubing bender, one from AutoZone (or O'Reilly, don't remember which), that only had one arm, and slightly less simple one from Harbor Freight that had two arms, but neither had replaceable dies. I couldn't get the tube to fit on either of them, the bend was too close to the flare for them to fit. So I wound up screwing it into the steering gear and pushed it down to the frame so I could get it under the clamp, and that worked fine, didn't kink it or anything.
2003 HD Road King
Old 09-14-2017, 08:44 AM   #10
toolboxchev

So this is what mine looks like in a C20 application. Those jerks@^$#^! at Napa think they have every outsmarted by making a generic hose to cover multiple applications.

After doing extensive research it seems more than just Napa is doing this. I know what I will be doing in the future. Friggen BS NAPA.

N.A.P.A. = NOT A PERFECT ACCESSORY! Everything I get from them has some type of issue, whether it be brakes shoes, thermostats, brake drums. I just keep stuffing it back up their A$$!
Attached Images

Old 09-14-2017, 09:39 AM   #11
72bowtiestepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolboxchev View Post
So this is what mine looks like in a C20 application. Those jerks@^$#^! at Napa think they have every outsmarted by making a generic hose to cover multiple applications.

After doing extensive research it seems more than just Napa is doing this. I know what I will be doing in the future. Friggen BS NAPA.

N.A.P.A. = NOT A PERFECT ACCESSORY! Everything I get from them has some type of issue, whether it be brakes shoes, thermostats, brake drums. I just keep stuffing it back up their A$$!
I am not defending NAPA or any other parts seller, but you have to remember...these trucks are almost 50 yrs. old....how many of these power steering hoses do you think they sell ?? Certainly not enough to tool up another part # that has a smaller bend and charge the same price !! As stated before.....just bend it & it will be fine.
72bowtiestepper is offline   Reply With Quote