The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-13-2018, 06:13 PM   #1
whitedog76

Brake pedal placement

I've been kicking around a Hydroboost unit in the garage for a while, so I decided to try and do something with it.

Anyhow, I'm trying to figure out a good pedal location. Right now I have the pedal 3.5" off the floor and backside of the pedal the same amount off the firewall.

Before I drill a 3" hole in the firewall, I'm trying to get some opinions.
Attached Images

Last edited by whitedog76; 11-13-2018 at 06:18 PM.
whitedog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 01:24 AM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Brake pedal placement

I'm thinking that is too low in both directions. The stock pedal is right where your foot will want to go when you hit the brakes. That is the no thinking automatically hit the brakes position. I'd keep it parallel with the stock one at any rate. You also need the travel that having it up there allows as if the brakes get worn a tad or have something else going on you need the pedal travel.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 10:23 AM   #3
whitedog76

A little history...

I have a hydroboost unit and pedal bracket form a full size GM van. I don't want to have to touch my shoulder with my knee in order to stop, like with the oem pedal.

Anyhow, the GM assembly will fit perfectly in the area I've chosen without any firewall modifications. But, the pedal would be a little far out into the passenger compartment for my liking.

So, I've mounted a Jeep pedal on the GM bracket, with it spaced a little closer to the firewall, I've also made a spacer to compensate.

I agree, it appears to be a little far down. I've measured the pedal placement on my daily driver, it's only 4" off of the floor, but there's carpet, padding etc... So, realistically it's probably 5-6" when it's all said and done.
Old 11-14-2018, 04:17 PM   #4
dsraven

me too, I think the pedal is a little too low and also close to the floor/out os alignment with the accel and clutch. I'm a little short in the undercarriage so the tall pedal is more to my liking, and I also like to keep the pedals close to the same height, like mr48 says, but it's you who has to drive it. if it feels good to you, and you have ample pedal travel to get a full stroke out of the master cylinder with carpet etc installed, then I guess it should work. remember, tall guys also usually have longer feet so ensure your foot/heel isn't gonna impede pedal travel to the floor if you get into trouble at some point.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 12:57 AM   #5
whitedog76

O.K. I did what I should've done in the first place... I got the tape measure out and measured the pedal length. The GM pedal that came with the hydroboost is 12" long, the Jeep are 15". The Jeep pedal pads are easy to remove, plus there is ample real estate to move them up. A cut off wheel and Lincoln welder will do the trick.

Last edited by whitedog76; 11-16-2018 at 10:01 AM.
Old 11-16-2018, 06:25 PM   #6
whitedog76

So, now I did what I should've done to begin with. Put the GM pedal back on.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

I still have the Jeep stuff, so I could modify in the future, but for now, this looks good.
Attached Images

Old 11-16-2018, 06:27 PM   #7
whitedog76

Here's another pic of the location. Where the bead roll is, just to the top right of where the steering shaft comes through, needs a tap with a hammer, but that's it.
Attached Images

Old 11-16-2018, 07:19 PM   #8
dsraven

cool, 4 pedals. is one the park brake? haha
looks like it should work. a little hammer and dolly on the bead roll and it should sit nice and flat.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 01:22 AM   #9
whitedog76

I will be the first to admit, I’m a little indecisive, a little bit of an over-thinker, and might just have a little bit of adhd with some ocd.

I was initially trying to keep as much original to the truck as possible. That all changed when I picked up a MII crossmember last year. In the next week or so, my plans are to get the crossmember in place. After that, it’s going to be some sheet metal work. So, right now I’m trying to mock up as much as possible before I start blowing things apart. 3 of those 4 pedals will be going away.