The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-06-2012, 02:14 PM   #1
purzell

Power steering with GMC V6?

I apologize if this dead horse has been beaten and I am also on the GMC yahoo group but find this easier to navigate.

Has anyone added power steering to their GMC with a V6? I have the 351 motor. I'm interested in knowing if any brackets or pumps fit this truck besides whatever might have come stock if anything?

My truck is a '66 one ton long bed and power steering would be nice.

Thanks in advance.
purzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 02:32 PM   #2
padresag

Re: Power steering with GMC V6?

so you should know by now then that that eng is unique to itself and if anything would fit it; they would know over there on jolly's site,
just keep your eye on ebay etc/ check the parts for sale here and stovebolt .com . they do show up periodically.
you could have some one fabricate the brkts for you. custom made. it'll cost what it costs. then you just have to find the pulleys. str boxes are easy
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 02:32 PM   #3
purzell

Clarifiication

What I mean to say is, I found a guy locally that has the power steering set up out of a later 305 V6 including pump, bracket and hoses.

Will this work on my 351 V6 or will I need to have a bracket fabbed up?
Old 07-06-2012, 02:36 PM   #4
100%Chevy

They are the same part for both engines.
I have the 305 brackets on my 351-C.
I'll post a pic for you.
Mike.
100%Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 02:38 PM   #5
purzell

Thank you Mike!
Old 07-06-2012, 02:41 PM   #6
100%Chevy

I can't find a picture of just the brackets,but here's it is on the engine.

Mike.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:53 PM   #7
padresag

Re: Clarifiication

Quote:
Originally Posted by purzell View Post
What I mean to say is, I found a guy locally that has the power steering set up out of a later 305 V6 including pump, bracket and hoses.

Will this work on my 351 V6 or will I need to have a bracket fabbed up?
100% is right. just that the the later will use the later p/s box vs the hydr ram setup
ron
Old 07-06-2012, 03:12 PM   #8
purzell

pic of what he has

The seller sent me this photo of the power steering setup he is selling. What do you all think?
Attached Images

Old 07-06-2012, 03:31 PM   #9
padresag

that is a sbc. setup. nfg for a v6 305-351 designated eng
ron
Old 07-06-2012, 03:32 PM   #10
purzell

Also it seems he has more than one set up for sale (same type.) Is there any way to check for which is the best one-- or are they rebuildable? I assume the pulley has a bearing that I want to move freely but don't know enough (anything) about these so want to be sure I am armed with knowledge prior to going out there.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:33 PM   #11
purzell

Padresag what does "NFG" mean?

"nfg for a v6 305-351 designated eng"
Old 07-06-2012, 03:42 PM   #12
padresag

no good. does that eng look like the one that you have in your truck???????????????. you have been told on jollies board what it has to come off of as well as here. I know that this is difficult to comprehend, but there was only limited production of p/s mounting for that application. that is why they are that difficult to find. these are older vehicles and parts and pieces are drying up
ron
Old 07-06-2012, 04:04 PM   #13
purzell

Hey Padresag, I've seen your replies several times on this board. It's obvious that you know alot about these trucks but you have no patience whatsoever for those of us who are using the WWW as a learning tool. You tend to get snappy kind of quickly, or maybe that's just your online presence.

Listen up, if I could ID a motor by seeing a photo of the front 1/4 of it, I wouldn't waste my time or yours asking if the part I'm looking at is the correct one. So no, I don't know whether that motor looks like mine or not, sorry, it did look like a "V" type motor to me from what I could see of the valve cover.

Do you think I'm not paying attention? Mike said the parts for the 305 will fit my motor. I asked the seller for a pic of his part so I could confirm that he actually has a 305 with the right part. Not knowing what it looks like, I posted it up here. That's one reason why I do stuff here at not at Jolly's...because I can't do photos there without an album. You were able to tell me that the photo he sent is the wrong part.

You could have said that in the first place, no need for a lecture.

Hey, I come to this forum and others where people discuss things of interest to me, because I learn stuff here. I never worked on a truck before. Bet there are others like me here. Sorry my sleuth skills aren't up to par.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:48 PM   #14
MusicMan70

Purzell, the main thing to get is the factory double-groove pulleys(crankshaft and waterpump); then you can adapt something to mount a more common style PS pump. I also bought this double groove pulley'd power steering pump unit, to give me another pulley option when I was doing this. Of course Factory parts are easier but they come at a price.

*It's been a while and I do not guarantee that this was the exact way I did it but...I believe I used this bracket from Ebay. I had a friend make an adapter plate to help me mount it to the water pump. The upper bracket bolts to the engine plate. My fabrication skills are rudimentary at best, but I do have power steering now and have driven this unit over 400 miles without incident. It still needs improving.

There are many examples of others who have done more professional jobs then myself; I'm still learning. If it points you in the right direction or fires a few synapses in your brain to get you there then it's all good.
Attached Images

Old 07-06-2012, 06:49 PM   #15
gimmy 64

make sure you tell people it is a 305 v6. that picture is probably a 305 v8. also you will find that most people do not know or have know idea that old gmc'c had v6's
gimmy 64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:52 PM   #16
MusicMan70

And a few more pics from below...bracket bolts does sit close to the engine support plate on the back.
Attached Images

Old 07-06-2012, 07:12 PM   #17
padresag

Quote:
Originally Posted by purzell View Post
Hey Padresag, I've seen your replies several times on this board. It's obvious that you know alot about these trucks but you have no patience whatsoever for those of us who are using the WWW as a learning tool. You tend to get snappy kind of quickly, or maybe that's just your online presence.

Listen up, if I could ID a motor by seeing a photo of the front 1/4 of it, I wouldn't waste my time or yours asking if the part I'm looking at is the correct one. So no, I don't know whether that motor looks like mine or not, sorry, it did look like a "V" type motor to me from what I could see of the valve cover.

Do you think I'm not paying attention? Mike said the parts for the 305 will fit my motor. I asked the seller for a pic of his part so I could confirm that he actually has a 305 with the right part. Not knowing what it looks like, I posted it up here. That's one reason why I do stuff here at not at Jolly's...because I can't do photos there without an album. You were able to tell me that the photo he sent is the wrong part.

You could have said that in the first place, no need for a lecture.

Hey, I come to this forum and others where people discuss things of interest to me, because I learn stuff here. I never worked on a truck before. Bet there are others like me here. Sorry my sleuth skills aren't up to par.
realy you should familiarize yourself with what you have so that you can recognize what you are looking at. Mike was correct in what he told you as he was talking about a GMC v6 eng . when I said later, these engs were made up to 73 I believe, but the p/s changed in about 68. you asked someone if they had a p/s setup for a 305 (i take it)without saying v6 or the year of vehicle and he promptly said yes but it was from a 305 chev v 8 eng. 1 or the other was ignorant in this situation and has nothing to do with me. I had previous told you twice that only the gmc v6 stuff will fit itself. when you are asking someone for parts for anything to another person describe what you have. make,year, model,eng or trans or whatever so that they know what you have. with these years of gmc you have to be really specific otherwise you will get stuff from a chev as most don't now know that there was a v6 in those years.
have a good look at your eng and familiarize yourself with it so that you know what it looks like . jolly has looks of info on his site. familiarize yourself with it so that you can recognize things when you see them.
your truck you learn about it
ron
Old 07-06-2012, 09:58 PM   #18
jbgroby

Hi,

Maybe I can help; I too made the addition with P/S. Here is the photo link with all the pictures including some clear onse with the bracket. Also showing the after market adaptor for the steerign box. MAke sure you use the CPP P/S Saganaw adaptor the REZ kit does not fit well on the early models. CPP is really desighned well.

http://rides.webshots.com/album/571837084bSxNPf

Jake Groby
jbgroby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:58 PM   #19
100%Chevy

Purzell,it does sound as if there was a communication problem with the V-6!
It is a special engine and most don't know what you're talking about and assume it's a 305 Chevy V-8.
Wait till you go to the parts house!They will tell you that you're wrong!Even if you say it's a "GMC,305,V-6".I'm often told there's no such thing!
You have to be specific and force them to listen!
Make them get the books out(which they hate to do!)
Be patient,and let these pros tell you what you need to know.Ask more questions,often!
I bought my whole power steering set-up here on the board.But,I had to wait and look for one to come up for sale.
It is from a 67 GMC,305,V-6.It is the more common mount.The big truck engines(v-6's) mount the pump differently,so ask for pictures and compare parts,mounting,etc.
Mike.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:01 PM   #20
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Liz
The power steering pump in the pic you posted is on a Chevy small block. It is more than likely a 305 CI V8. A common point of confusion is that so many people do not know that there was a 305 V6 made. When they hear you say '305 V6' many people just assume you don't know the difference between a V6 and a V8.

I should have elaborated a little mopre in our PM's. I agree with Musicman70. If you can come up with the necessary pulleys to drive the PS pump, most Chevy/GMC PS pump can be adapted to work. What Musicman70 has done looks really well done.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 02:17 AM   #21
MusicMan70

Quote:
I should have elaborated a little more in our PM's. I agree with Musicman70. If you can come up with the necessary pulleys to drive the PS pump, most Chevy/GMC PS pump can be adapted to work. What Musicman70 has done looks really well done.
Captainfab, thanks for the complement. Having purchased your products in the past and seeing your workmanship, well; thank you!
I'm nowhere in your league Sir (more of a BuckPrivate than a Captain, but someday.)

Purzell, using the great photos that JakeGroby provided as well, will help you with positioning better mounting points for this upgrade.
Old 07-14-2012, 02:17 AM   #22
purzell

Guys, thank you. I have a much better idea now of what the right parts look like. These various links and pictures will come in handy as I piece it all together.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-14-2012, 06:39 AM   #23
63burban4x4

Purzell,
PM sent
63burban4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:40 AM   #24
jbgroby

[QUOTE=100%Chevy;5472679]Purzell,it does sound as if there was a communication problem with the V-6!
It is a special engine and most don't know what you're talking about and assume it's a 305 Chevy V-8.
Wait till you go to the parts house!They will tell you that you're wrong!Even if you say it's a "GMC,305,V-6".I'm often told there's no such thing!
You have to be specific and force them to listen!
Make them get the books out(which they hate to do!)
Be patient,and let these pros tell you what you need to know.Ask more questions,often!

Heck I had to resort to keeping pictures in the glove box of my car and truck if i went to get parts.

Jake
jbgroby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 01:50 AM   #25
GTS61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
Liz
The power steering pump in the pic you posted is on a Chevy small block. It is more than likely a 305 CI V8. A common point of confusion is that so many people do not know that there was a 305 V6 made. When they hear you say '305 V6' many people just assume you don't know the difference between a V6 and a V8.

I should have elaborated a little mopre in our PM's. I agree with Musicman70. If you can come up with the necessary pulleys to drive the PS pump, most Chevy/GMC PS pump can be adapted to work. What Musicman70 has done looks really well done.
Would you happen to know where I could find power steering bracket for my 61 305 V6? I also need 2 groove crank and water pulley's. Barry said he'd make me a bracket but never followed through. I gratefully appreciate it.

Thanks
Greg
GTS61 is offline   Reply With Quote