The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading > 4x4 Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-18-2018, 11:35 PM   #101
SunSoaked

Re: budget beater c10 to k30 swap over build.

On second thought, I went back in your thread and I can see you have already covered the exhaust pics. Guess I need to go to the beginning and get myself caught up before asking more dumb questions.
SunSoaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 04:16 PM   #102
sweetk30

stock gm exhaust manifolds to stock replacement y-pipe down the left frame rail . then in a short ext 3" pipe to flowmaster 3" in/out and single 3" out around / down / out in front of the rear wheel driver side . just used what pipes i had on hand and cut / welded / made it work was all . had to modify the y-pipe o give room for drive shaft droop with the lift kit . then i used the slash cut for the tip on the lest section . was thinking 4" for a tip but held up in place at idle and way to DEEP of a rumble for me .
Attached Images

85-c10sb summer fun toy .
-----------------------------
HOLLEY SNIPER efi = worst case of p.i.t.a i ever had .

EDELBROCK pro flo 4 = best deal going so far . love my setup works great.
sweetk30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 04:21 PM   #103
sweetk30

yes drove with sniper . but i have less than 1 mile on drive so far . got few bugs to work out yet .

did get my progressive kit for the secondary like to go from 1:1 to 1: 40% or more the rear opens . makes it way more streetable they say . just swap it and update the ecu firmware and select option for progressive and drive it .

Old 11-24-2018, 09:40 PM   #104
sweetk30

got most of the truck little bits done . today was plow lights / plow pump wiring day . used some sptt ( on/off/on ) switches to control stuff the way i like it to be . and used some relays to do the big amp work under the hood and keep the little amp work under the dash .

plow lights on 1 switch do low/off/high separate from truck lights .
clutch for plow pump on engine is 12volt/off/joystick on controlled . helps warm the fluid up on super cold days with pump going 12v feed all the time for the first few min . then i swap it to joystick control only in up/left/right mode .

still need to find final place i want extra gauges and be done .

then cut the hole in the floor for the 3 shifter levers . going to remove the carpet since its super clean and a work truck . my other 2wd build truck has a blue inside and needs a nice carpet so its time for a swap out . then maybe i might get a rubber mat kit for this one . ran the old truck 12 years just bare metal

Old 11-25-2018, 12:47 PM   #105
RDrancher

Your truck is coming along nicely!

I'm a fan of the rubber floor setup. On my 1 ton Sub project the carpet is beyond shot, so I'll probably use a crew cab rubber kit and cut my own piece for the rear deck.
Old 11-25-2018, 01:42 PM   #106
sweetk30

ya this carpet is almost like new still from 87 . even has the matching gm floor mats . my 85 2wd sb truck would love to have this in it . so i figure why trash a great oem carpet that fits great now on a work truck .

Old 11-26-2018, 10:33 PM   #107
sweetk30

plow pump / fluid tank / valve body / belt / hoses minus the body to plow blade are all in place and cables hooked up and joystick tested .

looking for some fittings for the hoses out of the valve body . i would like 3/8" ORB male to 3/8" orb female in a 90* fitting . this would clean up the hose setup under the hood a bit . waiting for the hydro guy to be at work tuesday he had monday off . if they dont have it then i found them on ebay . i think these are what i want . https://www.ebay.com/itm/AF-6815-06....w/172512797579

otherwise shifters up threw the floor and double check stuff and drive it .

if i am feeling good and ahead of the curve maybe the light bar goes on also .

Old 11-28-2018, 11:36 AM   #108
sweetk30

few pics of little things done .

and i found my missing lug nuts i spent 2 hr's looking for the other day . . .

got the plow system done and filled and bleed out yesterday . she is ready for the plow blade . just need shifter levers in the cab for the t-case combo .
Attached Images

Old 11-29-2018, 06:15 PM   #109
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Great progress on your truck! I hate when you hide stuff from yourself and it always ends up being in a place you thought was a great idea to place it.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 06:25 PM   #110
sweetk30

ya right on the work bench i have been using a month solid .

today is gauge cluster back in the dash day / 2 gauge bods on the CRACKED up dash pad . 1 - 3 gauge pod and 1 - 2 gauge pod unit .

the 3 gauge is fuel pressure/tach/engine vac up in center of dash pad in front of the steering wheel . the other is trans temp and pass side fuel transfer tank and he is just partly covering the what could have been center dash speaker spot and most of it is on the solid section .

will get pics up later tonight or friday tho .

Old 11-30-2018, 04:48 PM   #111
sweetk30

well today was it . road test day . no real problems other than the sniper learning its self on the road other than my shop or driveway. did 15-20 miles of town / city driving with lots of stop and go . i still have a stiff start to the gas pedal for the tip in start . i think maybe the progressive linkage kit might help that . some guys have said it helps on the holley forum thread about it .

went good i am happy with it for the most part . got a few small bugs nothing major yet . few more old as hell light bulbs or sockets that need changed out . were working but now not . might bite the bullet and get the leds now so hopefully 1 last change out job for bulbs .

my fuel transfer system works SUPER EASY . tbi tank and sender with pump . wired to dash switch and autometer gauge . then BIG red light on dash only lights up when pumping so you dont forget and over fill . took less than 5 min to free flow from 1/8 tank to 3/4 tank on the driver side . it sure was nice not waiting in line at the pumps for a driver side fill this time . the pumps were full that way .
Attached Images

Old 11-30-2018, 05:00 PM   #112
SunSoaked

I bought the link for my previous Sniper for the progressive linkage mod but never installed it. Why? Because there's more to just installing the link and checking the "progressive" box in the sniper setup menu. According to your buddy Danny and a few others who have tried it, it doesn't have the correct acceleration enrichment tables in the software. So checking the box does nothing. It can be done but once again, someone smarter than most users (including me) has to create and tune the table. Another reason I cut my losses and tossed it.
Old 11-30-2018, 05:12 PM   #113
sweetk30

ya its still sealed in the pack yet .

and few guys over on ck5 forum have gone edelbrock pro-flo 4 and are installing it or just starting to drive it .

thats a all in 1 part # kit unlike what us carb to efi swap guys are doing . its intake up with dist . also sequential port injection single plane intake stays dry for just air flow . ALREADY HAS progressive linkage on it from edelbrock . uses blue tooth device to tune it so no cord and hand held controller . ecu is separate NOT built in to the unit .

if i deiced i dont like this thats what i will get ............. and $ to $ value after i got the intake / sniper / dist / other few parts it would have been $100-200 bucks extra and been prob better off with the edelbrock pro-flo 4 unit .

and after my customer service from HELL over on the holley forum and calling them direct i am NOT happy with holley anymore they can go suck a tail pipe for all i care .

the guys that have edelbrock units are super happy with tech and support so far . the 1 guy talked with tech for 30-45 min before he even owned a unit and they didnt care they answered all his questions .

Old 11-30-2018, 08:26 PM   #114
SunSoaked

I hear ya. I love my Pro-flo. If I could easily adapt it to the vortec manifold, I'd replace the injectors and run it. Live and learn.
Old 11-30-2018, 08:45 PM   #115
sweetk30

what system ? they make them for vortec heads . 35780 is the pro-flo 4 for sbc vortec head engines .

sad sad story but hope i dont get bit on it . . . . my moms mustang i still have yet to finish has a orignal pro-flo 1 on it never fired .

Old 11-30-2018, 10:49 PM   #116
SunSoaked

I have a complete 3500 system. The throttle body they use on it is not a traditional square bore so it wouldn't work on a vortec manifold. I wished I had replaced the injectors and bought non- vortec aluminum heads instead of the vortec/sniper combo. At least the truck runs great with the carb and it's reliable.
Attached Images

Old 12-02-2018, 06:20 PM   #117
sweetk30

well road time now happening in the truck and i am NOT feeling to confident about trusting this holley sniper unit at all

list of knows problems for me so far at under 60 TOTAL road miles driven and maybe 1 hr total run time not driven :

1= coolent temp sensor is bad under 30 miles of use . does the typical 12-15 degree drop from were it should be lots of people are having problem .

2= throttle linkage arm on unit to short requires spacer bracket . lots of people complaining about this also . i made a 7/8" spacer for it and it helped a lot but still sucks . has a flat spot in it also that sticks . and yes my cable is good . i lubed the hell out of it and it moves SUPER easy you can almost blow on it to move .

3= even the super heavy return springs it has you still need another one for the return to zero throttle . makes it even harder .

4= the linkage is 1:1 direct on primary to secondary . . who figured this would be great for street use daily driving ? you need to order a progressive link and upload the option on there softwear and it still dosnt support it 100% so its hit or miss on if it works for you or not .

5= touch screen ecu unit for in the vehicle has had problems from day 1 fire up . makes button choices all by its self and now its locking up and wont reset unless you turn the key off and wait then restart the vehicle .

6= NOT bolt it on and go self tuning like they advertise on the box / ad's / tv shows . still requires YOU to do a good deal of tuning later with there softwear program if you under stand all of it ( and i dont ) .

7= this being the most important to me is the fact there customer service after the fact SUCKS A$$ there chat forum for tech help is governed by a english correction gramer checking dictator . my 1st post there i was replyed to by him and told me to watch my self and use spell check / correct punctuation / dont type like you text I EDIT EVERY POST FOR THIS STUFF HERE . he didnt give me any help at first what so ever . and another member even chimed in and said about the same thing .

if there is any more problems i am going to rip this off and sell it . i know lots of people would buy it and prob love it but NOT me !

i have already started looking on edelbrocks pro-flo4 system and its hands down a lot better customer service / chat forum being super nice and helpfull / has progressive linkage already from the factory / timing control already from the factory / port injection sequential / ecu NOT built in to the unit can be mounted were you want it / uses blue tooth to talk to a phone or tablet . and for sbc with vortec heads its under $1900 bucks with the intake .

if i add up my prices here it is sofar .
edelbrock rpm vortec intake 7116 = 265.00
holley sniper unit = 999.95
intake gasket set good gaskets felpro = 40 bucks
msd ready to run dist NOT for sniper control = 350.00
coil for ignition msd blaster 2 & bracket mount = 55.00
new coolant temp sensor for there known defective item they sell you = 20.00
make my own throttle arm spacer 1 hr or buy one and wit 3-5 days @ = 20.00
progressive link kit = 15.00 and hope it helps maybe .
there included throttle cable bracket sucks . no way to keep it from spinning on ( 1 ) mounting bolt ha ha ha .
i am sure there is stuff i am missing here .

grand total in just this list is $1750ish with out other extras .

edelbrock pro-flo4 35780 kit for vortec head engines = $1795.95

Last edited by sweetk30; 12-02-2018 at 06:43 PM.
Old 12-02-2018, 10:59 PM   #118
SunSoaked

When you have problem number 8=Vehicle won't start due to error message "no ecu found" then you will feel a sense of relief because you will be justified in removing the Sniper and tossing it in the trash! After that you will feel comfort that it can't leave you stranded in the future. Been there-done that. I feel your pain.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:03 AM   #119
PGSigns

I feel your pain. I went through this last year with one. It ended up going back and I told them to keep it. Fuel pressure issues with the regulator that comes with it, 2 O2 sensors, it does not self tune, you have to edit the base table to get it close enough, you don't even want to try the timing control and the kicker that got it pulled for good is it would just shut off in traffic. We understood the software and the tuner that worked with me on it runs a race engine shop so we had a good handle on that. I spent enough time and money to put an LS in the truck. A couple of thing that I did get out of it was the Vortec head does not tune well with a duel plane intake and the Victor JR tunes and runs better even with a carb. Got shown this in the dyno with a crate engine they did. So back to a 670 street avenger and all is good.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 01:26 PM   #120
sweetk30

PGsigns yes lots of guys are finding carb replacment style efi bolt on stuff is liking single plane intake's over dual plane . one guy over on my other site i hang out at has done a dyno test in the vehicle to prove it . also he did a plug read with old dual plane and then with single plane and found better more even results on the plugs . i guess this is 1 reason why edelbrock has done the single plane from the start on there pro-flo systems , and they just move air when the fuel is port injected .

few guys on my other site are removing or have removed sniper / fitech and gone edelbrock pro-flo 4 system and say its much better from the start . 1 guy on edelbrocks forum said he had to do way less work to drive it tuning wise than the sniper he had and its running better 2-3x faster than the same amount of timefor the sniper .

i think we all need to join together and create a web site ihateboltoneficonversions.bullsh!t

Old 12-03-2018, 03:00 PM   #121
RDrancher

Well...I'm sorry to hear about all of the problems with the sniper setup, especially since I deleted all of the stock tbi stuff from my sub and bought the Eddy vortec intake with the sniper in mind. Looks like the old quad will be on there longer than I thought. Of course, at the rate I'm getting things done on this project their may be several "new and improved" efi options on the table!
Old 12-03-2018, 04:26 PM   #122
sweetk30

edelbrock is looking better and better in the end . . .

i currently have a NICE guy helping me via emails from another chat forum on how to play with this thing and he has done a few and knows his way around them .

also holley is talking to me from tech and has few things to try before send in for warranty .

Old 12-04-2018, 09:25 PM   #123
sweetk30

got some good today .

got my new backup light today from lifetime led . 3" flush mount pod with 1850 lumens total off 6 led units .

here is the taped to the hitch test tonight .

does real good for distance and spread out of pattern . but up close the stockers still get the sides better . just the nature of the pattern on the led . but i am super happy .

new light / around 50ft from shop door / around 175ft from shop door / around 150ft from side door and seeing the trailer tounge and box in the yard show up / new position in the bumper for the light .
Attached Images

Old 12-05-2018, 10:28 PM   #124
sweetk30

oh my what a BANG for the BUCK $$$

i can see from my street all the way in to the shop in pitch black night now . my street to the shop door is prob 300ft / no street lights or house light on .

great under $50.00 buck item to get for function and usefulness
Attached Images

Old 12-07-2018, 04:49 PM   #125
sweetk30

few pics of my super clean inside .
Attached Images