The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-25-2019, 04:01 PM   #26
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: Rusty Roof Best Approach?

I'd agree with Robert...I'd blast that thing ...then you'll know what youve got left to work with...
I've got a buddy that swears by por15...but he said it'll only stick to rusty metal...comes off clean shiny metal...I've never used the stuff though...and probably never will...

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 05:32 PM   #27
BaroneDog

Thanks for the speedy reply. What should I expect from the areas that still have some pitting after I clean/blast thoroughly? Will those areas definitely rust again in the future no matter what I do? Or, if cleaned well enough (to shiny metal) and covered with a good epoxy primer as you suggest, will not rust/deteriorate further?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP&C View Post
At this point you are showing further rust repairs needed. Cut out those sections, clean any rust found under that, replace with new metal (or solid donor pieces).

For your "surface rust" I would abrade the area using media blasting (garnet), or wire wheel (crud thug?) or similar that will turn area into a bright metal finish. I'm not a fan of POR type products as their success rate is sketchy at best. Any rust left will still be prone to further rusting under the POR covering. While you have it apart, if it were me it would be media blasted and painted with SPI epoxy primer. Fix it right, fix it once.
BaroneDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 05:36 PM   #28
mongocanfly
Post Whore

The blasting will reveal any rust issues you have...cut out and replace the rotted stuff....
If you blast it to bare metal and spray it with epoxy primer you shouldn't have any more issues...

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
Old 02-25-2019, 05:41 PM   #29
B. W.

I agree also, repair the rust, no need to remove the inner roof panel. I just did this repair, before I put the new roof on (after primer) I sprayed cavity wax down the A & B pillars and along the rear of the cab. the driver's A pillar has an access hole already, I drilled a hole for the passenger side.
Attached Images

B. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 05:58 PM   #30
First c10

Can you Take a close up picture of the hole in the A pillar on the driver side??? I tried to locate it with a pull wire but wasn't sure were it was.
1970 C10 Yellow/White Deluxe LWB w/ 5.3L-LC9/6L80E
1968 K10 LWB Dark green my son calls it "THE HULK Jr"HULK JR *SOLD*
GO GO!!!
First c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 09:39 PM   #31
B. W.

Sure, here's the best I got. The hole has a rolled edge on the bottom side that might make it more difficult to snake a wire through.
Attached Images

Old 07-23-2019, 10:05 PM   #32
BaroneDog

Got distracted with my other project (64 Nova Wagon) for a while and finally getting back to this. This might be more trouble than it is worth, but anyone want a roof? The first one I ordered from LMC was dented. Customer service was great and they sent me a replacement and told me to trash the bent one. I hate to just throw it out. The bend is not that bad (see picture below) and could probably be worked out easily by someone with the right skills. Anyway, if you are interested, shoot me a PM. I will donate the roof, but you would have to pay for shipping. The box is huge and I think LMC charged me about $150 to ship, but I can imagine it could cost as much as $200 to ship, depending on location. I can give you the dimensions and you can shop around for best price.
Attached Images

Old 08-06-2019, 11:11 PM   #33
toolboxchev

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP&C View Post
At this point you are showing further rust repairs needed. Cut out those sections, clean any rust found under that, replace with new metal (or solid donor pieces).

For your "surface rust" I would abrade the area using media blasting (garnet), or wire wheel (crud thug?) or similar that will turn area into a bright metal finish. I'm not a fan of POR type products as their success rate is sketchy at best. Any rust left will still be prone to further rusting under the POR covering. While you have it apart, if it were me it would be media blasted and painted with SPI epoxy primer. Fix it right, fix it once.
X2 on that SPI approach. Take it to bare metal first.
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 03:22 PM   #34
BaroneDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. W. View Post
I agree also, repair the rust, no need to remove the inner roof panel. I just did this repair, before I put the new roof on (after primer) I sprayed cavity wax down the A & B pillars and along the rear of the cab. the driver's A pillar has an access hole already, I drilled a hole for the passenger side.
B.W., Did you remove the corner support at any time during your restoration (area circled in red in photo below)? I would like to remove the corner supports so I can clean underneath them. It looks like I would have to make a cut (see green line in image) to avoid taking the entire length out and drill out some spot welds on the outer edge, but I am not sure if the inner edger (see red arrow in photo) is welded or adhered in any way. Thanks.
Attached Images

Old 11-10-2019, 06:47 AM   #35
Mike_The_Grad

Really appreciate the time that has gone into this thread. I'm at the point of evaluating my rust damage and plan of attack. The front roof area along with windshield pinchweld are top of the list for me. Figure I might as well start at the top and work my way down. Just as the rust did.

Instagram: Mike_The_Grad
Mike_The_Grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 11:35 PM   #36
B. W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaroneDog View Post
B.W., Did you remove the corner support at any time during your restoration (area circled in red in photo below)? I would like to remove the corner supports so I can clean underneath them. It looks like I would have to make a cut (see green line in image) to avoid taking the entire length out and drill out some spot welds on the outer edge, but I am not sure if the inner edger (see red arrow in photo) is welded or adhered in any way. Thanks.
I didn't remove the support. In the pic I was re-welding the spot welds, some had broken loose, others I think they missed on the assy line! I'm not sure if the inner portion is spot welded not.
Old 02-28-2020, 09:30 PM   #37
BaroneDog

Just curious about the cavity spray you used. Is that better than those internal frame coating sprays sold by Eastwood like this?

https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-in...z-aerosol.html

I am getting close to closing mine up and want to spray something protective down there before closing it up. I like the spray nozzle attached to the tube so u can get far down. I have seen some cavity wax spray cans with that tube tip spray setup too so I think my question is more directly related to the difference between using a wax spray and paint spray in the pillar cavity. Which is best? Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. W. View Post
Sure, here's the best I got. The hole has a rolled edge on the bottom side that might make it more difficult to snake a wire through.
Old 03-03-2020, 11:07 PM   #38
BaroneDog

Hi guys. After a ton of scraping, grinding, cutting, welding, cleaning, and painting, I am close to the point where the new outer roof can go on. The original plan was to glue the roof down (as was done by some others on this forum) but it looks like it might not give the best fit. Welding it on will give me an opportunity to manipulate the fit between welds and may get it to fit together better.

Can some of the sheet metal gurus chime in with their thoughts? I included a few photos below. My two major fitment issues are:

1) Gap wide in one section (see green arrow in second photo below)
2) Roof sitting lower than rear edge of cab (red arrow in second photo below)

One thing to note is that when I cut the old roof off I accidentally cut out the rear inside lip that would be needed if I were gluing the roof. So I fabricated a lip and welded on one small section to test. I am not liking how the added lip interacts with the new roof and it seems like it might be more trouble than it is worth. Again, if I just weld that seem then the underlying lip is not required.

Please let me know what you all think. Thanks.
Attached Images

Old 03-04-2020, 12:11 AM   #39
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Your gonna need your fit to be really good..if you had access to the backside ,you could back it with copper to help prevent burn thru while welding...but I'm fairly sure you dont..so you'll have to rely on having access to one side only..this also eliminates you being able to hammer and dolley your welds...
Mp&c would be whose advice I would take...whatever it is..
but if it were me I'd ad some metal strips to the roof edge to eliminate the gap...you need a good small gap for welding..and some very slow welding...magnets will help hold up the roof where its low...

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

Old 03-05-2020, 10:35 PM   #40
MP&C

I’d check with Dewayne at Nsane Hot Rodz. He’s used about any and all panels made for these trucks, he should be able to steer you in the right direction
Old 03-08-2020, 08:54 PM   #41
lupo

Do not use black moisture cured urethane's. These coatings are concrete primer with black pigment. When God created permanent rust sealer's it only came in one color silver. The resin blocks the moisture, the aluminum flake in layers two coats blocks the oxygen. This is the most powerful of your industrial primers. Seal the roof with the permanent rust sealer and followed up with epoxy surfacer. I've been doing it this way for years with great results

Last edited by lupo; 03-08-2020 at 09:04 PM.
lupo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 10:32 AM   #42
BaroneDog

Thanks for your reply lupo. Can you give an example (product name or link) of a rust sealer like you mentioned below? Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupo View Post
Do not use black moisture cured urethane's. These coatings are concrete primer with black pigment. When God created permanent rust sealer's it only came in one color silver. The resin blocks the moisture, the aluminum flake in layers two coats blocks the oxygen. This is the most powerful of your industrial primers. Seal the roof with the permanent rust sealer and followed up with epoxy surfacer. I've been doing it this way for years with great results
Old 03-12-2020, 11:07 AM   #43
lupo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaroneDog View Post
Thanks for your reply lupo. Can you give an example (product name or link) of a rust sealer like you mentioned below? Thanks.
Permanent rust sealer's that use a primer pigment are available from Mastercoat, this type of pigment is important as the coating will dry toothy to promote paint adhesion. I'm not sure what type of pigment is used in Rust bullet. Superior coatings has a product called rust lock but am not sure if they sell to the public. There is a video on YouTube titled POR 15 – KBS – chassis saver – SPI epoxy Mastercoat salt fog test. Who went the furthest?
Old 04-20-2020, 09:57 PM   #44
BaroneDog

Well, FINALLY got the new roof (and new drip rails) fit nicely an welded into position! I ended up getting rid of the lip I fabricated and just welded the back seam (see pics below). Tons of grinding, shaping, banging, etc. to get all the parts to fit well. Some of the metal had to be moved as welds were made. Pretty happy with the final look. Still some work to do.

Wondering if I need to fully weld the rear seam or not. Currently, I have a welds at least every 4 inches, closer in some areas. Should be pretty structurally sound as-is. What would you guys do?

Thanks!
Attached Images

Old 04-21-2020, 05:01 PM   #45
mongocanfly
Post Whore

weld it solid...that's what id do

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

Old 04-21-2020, 05:57 PM   #46
lupo

Take your time and weld all the way across. If you dont weld all the way across you will wind up with cracks in your paint work later. Alternate from side side so you don't create warpage