The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-18-2019, 11:01 AM   #1
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Rocker panels

I'm fixing to start on my rocker panels and I have been thinking, Should I put the cab back on the frame and bolt it in place before I start cutting it a part? I have some rebar I planned to put across the door opening to hold it in place to check the gaps. But I thought I need to have it sitting on the frame to get all the gaps right?

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 07:08 PM   #2
nsb29

Re: Rocker panels

Use new cab mounts and have your frame level
Old 11-19-2019, 12:46 AM   #3
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Rocker panels

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsb29 View Post
Use new cab mounts and have your frame level

Thanks I will be sure and level it.

I also drilled holes in all 4 door mounts to the cab so when time comes to pull them and replace I can use it as a guide hole.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Old 11-19-2019, 08:27 PM   #4
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: Rocker panels

Well we got the cab sitting down on the SWB frame today temporarily to get the rockers tacked in. Only got a few hrs of work done had a retirement lunch to go to.
New cab & radiator mounts are all in but not tight. Tomorrow we will start leveling it up on the lift and cutting out the passenger side rocker I hope.
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 11-19-2019, 09:27 PM   #5
hugger6933

Andy, if your not cutting into the floor or inner rocker you won't need any bracing. I use some 1 inch square tube and weld it from the floor to the top of the window hole. But when I have done that it was on trucks that was getting floor pieces and inner rocker as well as A and B pillar patches. it is looking good but I would'nt expect anything less from you. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 11:22 AM   #6
Andy4639
Old member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugger6933 View Post
Andy, if your not cutting into the floor or inner rocker you won't need any bracing. I use some 1 inch square tube and weld it from the floor to the top of the window hole. But when I have done that it was on trucks that was getting floor pieces and inner rocker as well as A and B pillar patches. it is looking good but I would'nt expect anything less from you. Jim
Thank you sir. I'm just worried about the door spacing more than anything. I don't want it to spread on me after I cut them out. I'm just doing a rebar across the door opening about half way up on each side.

I do have to replace the drivers side inner piece behind the rocker but not the tubes.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 11-20-2019, 07:40 PM   #7
Andy4639
Old member

Passenger side old rocker is gone and part of the back cab corner. I'm not sure about the corner yet. I may cut a little more out but I don't want to use that whole big piece.
I have my good friend Jesse coming over in the morning and helping tack it all in. He retired from the local vocational school as the welder instructor. He is going to setup the machine and get everything good for me to do the drivers side.
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Last edited by Andy4639; 11-20-2019 at 08:07 PM.
Old 11-21-2019, 08:12 PM   #8
Andy4639
Old member

I finished up the passenger side repairs today. Being my 2nd try at welding on sheet metal panels I had a good friend come over and give me some good instructions on heat settings and feeding. He is the retired welding instructor for the local vocational school here. The welder had .030 wire in it and he suggested we swap it to .024 and man what a difference it made. I had a good day. I started working at 9:30am this morning and I'm basically 2 days ahead of what I thought I would be on the truck right now.
Is it perfect.... heck no but man it feels good to know I can repair sheet metal panels if I ever have to again.
The door lines up good also. The edges all line up good enough for a Pantina truck.
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 11-23-2019, 09:29 PM   #9
hugger6933

I told you about the smaller wire night and day difference, right. And on top of that it grinds so much better. Anyone can weld up something thick but sheetmetal, is a hole nother story and you just cant imagine till you do it
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 08:26 PM   #10
Andy4639
Old member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugger6933 View Post
I told you about the smaller wire night and day difference, right. And on top of that it grinds so much better. Anyone can weld up something thick but sheetmetal, is a hole nother story and you just cant imagine till you do it

Yes sir it is. It was a nightmare but in the end I think it turned out fine. I got some copper to use on the drivers side if I need it.
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 11-29-2019, 09:15 PM   #11
Andy4639
Old member

I got started on the drivers side and after 8.5 hrs I'm tired and almost done. Having a cold didn't help but I got it done. My son & daughter both helped today. It was a great day. Some more welding and grinding she will be good to go.

My black Friday turned out great!
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club