The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-08-2013, 08:35 PM   #1
sumtercleaner

name your American made parts

We all know so many of our replacement parts are made over seas. So what have you found to use on your truck thats still made in America or atleast in north America.
Posted via Mobile Device
sumtercleaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:27 PM   #2
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Re: name your American made parts

I honestly can't think of a single thing. There's another reason why I like looking for original parts at the salvage yard or on eBay....
Posted via Mobile Device
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:34 PM   #3
Mr Handy

my snap on wrenches were made in usa and I use them on my truck... does that count.?
Mr Handy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:54 PM   #4
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Handy View Post
my snap on wrenches were made in usa and I use them on my truck... does that count.?
Lol. I was made in America, and I work on my truck. Can I count that lmao
Posted via Mobile Device
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:15 PM   #5
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

I was made in America from a mixture of middle, northern and western Europeans. [/smartass] But I'm ALL-American.

I bought radiator hold down clamps from the Chevy dealer and they were made in chinee, of all places. Quite annoying. It's all about corporate profit.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:31 PM   #6
JointTech

corporate profit feeds my 401k so yea Im all for it. Hmm should we pay a union assembly line worker $25+ an hour, and then deal with the EPA, OSHA, Obamacare and taxes? Or ship it to mexico and back? Are US workers really better? Dont you think they would use the same cheap pot metal and crappy stamps in a US factory? This isnt 1950. The corporate profit sneered at above would take place here as much as anywhere else.

And the bottom line is if you (generic you, calm down) have the choice between a $5 chinee (sic) part or a $50 american one; which gets purchased 99% of the time? A business cant run on the 1% of the population. There is no market for US stuff that costs 3 times as much.

So quit going to walmart, target, etc and go find US craftsmen and small shops to buy stuff from, then vote against the scumbags that put all the regulations in, quit paying your union dues and maybe, just maybe we can bring manufacturing back to the US.
JointTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:35 PM   #7
jondancer

my gas tank, and i believe the ece drop kit.
jondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:38 PM   #8
sboris

I think all Sumtercleaner intended was to see if there was any American repops out there...
Posted via Mobile Device
71 short step-sold
71 chevy Beauville van
My build.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=633039
sboris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:45 PM   #9
special-K
Special Order

Used parts. I plan to buy my side trim and bed strips from Mar-K,but pretty much the rest of my scratch built '67 GMC is from good used GM parts or N.O.S.

I am one who does not sell out on my fellow Americans to save a few dollars and am happy to pay more for American. Unfortunately,those who did fall for that helped to make it to how it is now where there is rarely a choice. The comparison is more like a $5 part made over seas costs $45 vs $50 for made in USA. I'll pay the extra $5 given a choice.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 04-09-2013 at 12:42 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:54 PM   #10
Rufton

Lifters and pushrods for starters.
Rufton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:10 PM   #11
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufton View Post
Lifters and pushrods for starters.
Starters use lifters & pushrods now? What'll they think of next?

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:35 PM   #12
Rufton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
Starters use lifters & pushrods now? What'll they think of next?
Yeah...that's one heck of a starter
Rufton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:41 PM   #13
BlackedOut67shorty

Tag on my truck says made in Canada.. I'm off to a bad start lol
Posted via Mobile Device
2000 mercury sable
Thats a how I roll
BlackedOut67shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:48 PM   #14
Davemotohead

All my stuff is original or junkyard original parts,,I cant think of a single thing made in china on my truck,,maybe thats why it kicks Ass!
Old 04-09-2013, 12:04 AM   #15
jbclassix
Junk Yartist

wrong thread

YOU ONLY FAIL IF YOU STOP TRYING

70 Crew Cab Build Link

70 GMC Suburban 4X4 build thread

95 Yukon Daily Driver

Rebuilding an NP205

Last edited by jbclassix; 04-09-2013 at 08:10 PM.
jbclassix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:48 AM   #16
buckskins4ever

my mechanical line is all American made. Crate engine, built up from American performance made parts, the Transmission was built with only American made parts and was built here locally. I cant speak to as where the Eaton rear end was milled at. The radiator, Seats, upholstery, Carpet, Air tank, bags, steering column, gauges, exhaust system, and the Boyds aluminum fuel tank......are all American
I know I have aftermarket fenders, inners, and step fenders, are all foreign. And obviously the sound system is not american....but it sounds sweet.
buckskins4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:28 AM   #17
big d's red67

Quote:
Originally Posted by JointTech View Post
corporate profit feeds my 401k so yea Im all for it. Hmm should we pay a union assembly line worker $25+ an hour, and then deal with the EPA, OSHA, Obamacare and taxes? Or ship it to mexico and back? Are US workers really better? Dont you think they would use the same cheap pot metal and crappy stamps in a US factory? This isnt 1950. The corporate profit sneered at above would take place here as much as anywhere else.

And the bottom line is if you (generic you, calm down) have the choice between a $5 chinee (sic) part or a $50 american one; which gets purchased 99% of the time? A business cant run on the 1% of the population. There is no market for US stuff that costs 3 times as much.

So quit going to walmart, target, etc and go find US craftsmen and small shops to buy stuff from, then vote against the scumbags that put all the regulations in, quit paying your union dues and maybe, just maybe we can bring manufacturing back to the US.
Could not have said it better myself.

2006 Chevy Trailblazer SS
2013 Camaro RS convertible the wife's

Build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=573248
big d's red67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:33 AM   #18
nibs
JRods Garage

Boyd's fuel tank...
Porterbuilt Dropmember, control arms, trailing arms, and crossmember
Old 04-09-2013, 08:32 AM   #19
sumtercleaner

Yes all I wanted to basically know is how much I can use on my truck and keep a few $'s closer to home. Now since WalMart was brought up, I haven't shopped there in over 16 months! I do my best to seek out parts (anything for that matter) made closer to home. I am trying to do my part is all I meant and hope I can use as many American parts as I can! Even it takes a little longer to get it to where I want it, I dont want to find out a week after I buy part "x" made in china or tawain, That part "x" was also available in some small shop in the middle of Georgia or Texas or somewhere closer to me. That being said I have nothing against those other countries and I'm sure China or Walmart wont go broke because of me.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:42 AM   #20
Fldawg

arm rests,front bumper brackets, wiper motor,all my internal engine parts, that's all i can think of at this time
Fldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:28 AM   #21
jetfixr

Wow, did I miss something here? Who called the Asian culture "crappy ignorant people"? There are plenty of quality vehicles coming from Japan. But Japan's wage structure is similar to our own. There is more of a sense of pride in the workmanship. Quality control is better. I don't blame the Chinese people at all for pumping out crappy parts. They are paid sweat-shop wages and pushed for extreme amounts of productivity in a communist country where there is little chance for advancement. With that being said, I will take the American part any day. I don't think people on this forum have an issue with Asian people. Crappy parts that don't fit, well that is another story.
jetfixr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:48 AM   #22
D.PASSMORE
One of the First

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumtercleaner View Post
We all know so many of our replacement parts are made over seas. So what have you found to use on your truck thats still made in America or atleast in north America.
Posted via Mobile Device
I think this is the question, ^^^^. The gentleman is trying to identfy parts sources - made in North America. I use M&H Electric for all my wiring harness replacements. There products are assembled in CA. But as we know, some of the componets are manufactured oversea's.
Now as for steel products - my opinion is American steel is the best, followed by Japan and German. India is pretty good. But I don't trust any Taiwan or Chinese products. I always ask the question when dealing with vendors, where are your products made at. I did that with my SM 465 rebuild kit from Novak. All items was North Americian produced with japanese bearings with the exception of the main output bearing -Made in China. I asked them to remove it from the box, charge me accordingly. Did a internet search and found a NOS AC Delco bearing for half the price. Just comes back to preference.

'71 SWB K/10 CUSTOM DELUXE (Chili)
'72 BLAZER K/5 Muscle Truck (Mule)
'72 LWB K/20 CHEYENNE (Blackie)
D.PASSMORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:42 PM   #23
sboris

I think this is the question, ^^^^. The gentleman is trying to identfy parts sources - made in North America.

That's what I got from it...
Posted via Mobile Device
71 short step-sold
71 chevy Beauville van
My build.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=633039
sboris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:31 PM   #24
budman k20
1972 K20

Unhappy Re: name your American made parts

My new printed circit board for my dash instruments that I bought from Obsolete Chevy had made in the USA on it. I was impressed by the quality, then I went for a ride on Saturday and forgot it was in the bed. Now it's somewhere on the side of the road! It was on my truck for a few miles!
budman k20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:15 PM   #25
sumtercleaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC69Rat View Post
I'm not going to get back into a pissin match here, but I will say my wife is Taiwanese.

I just want to ask you a question. IF this same part, same metal, same stamp, same box was made in Georgia or Texas instead of Taiwan or China.. How does that make it better? It's still a repro part that 'closely resembles' the GM part. Not exact. That's what I meant by a 'Repro is a Repro' regardless of where it comes from. All I mean is China or Taiwan doesn't mean lesser quality IMO. The people who make the parts follow a QC guideline from the Company who hired them to make the part. Take Goodmark, or Triplus, etc. The people in Taiwan or China make the parts to their specs. Period. If Triplus or Goodmark raised the QC specs to the point there was ZERO difference in the new part vs. an NOS part.. , we'd all be fighting over parts from China or Taiwan. .. right? It would be no different if Jim Bob in Texas made that same part with the same specs dictated by Triplus or whoever.

Quit stereotyping the Asian culture as crappy, ignorant people. The fact is my wife is incredible. She speaks 5 languages, 6 figure income, etc. I would challenge anyone on the board to do better.

I know you guys didn't mean it personally and I'm sure Tim will speak up here but all I'm saying is keep buying the repro stuff and they'll keep making it. Stop buying it if you know it doesn't fit well or whatever. If you want GM fit and quality buy GM stuff. Don't blame the poor quality on the Asian people. All they're trying to do is survive. It's a job to them. .. that's all.

Later ..
1 thanks for the no hard feelings because none were meant,
2 repro is a repro I agree, but better QC is always best, but That was NOT my question
3 I have NEVER stereotyped anyone!
4"all they're doing is trying to survive" So are alot of people all over the world. but having grown up in, worked in and still living here in what I would call a industrial town, I'd love to see my family, friends and former co workers back making "stuff"
5 I hope the best for ANYONE that is in need of work can find it no matter what country they are from or in.