The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-23-2013, 09:36 PM   #1
gdiwicker

!@$%! Steering Again!!!

Hey All,
So in the effort to solve the hard left easy right turn issue I have done the following to no avail:
Changed shocks
rebuilt pscv
replaced gear box
changed rag joint
changed pscv to ram lines
bled the system

The PSCV was rebuilt about a month ago. Now the bleeding happened about two weeks ago at a shop. I also at that time changed the lines. When I finally got around to changing the gearbox, there was a small leak from one of the lines being loose but nothing major at all. I thought the problem was bc of a bearing in the wormdrive, but nope its something else. I have to use two hands and a bit of muscle to make left turns at low speeds. Right turns, no problem one handed.

Any suggestions?

67 c10
350 from a 87 suburban
ram assit steering
gdiwicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:49 PM   #2
Rufton

Re: !@$%! Steering Again!!!

I had a hard pull to the right condition at speed on a car.
There was an adjustment for PS centering on mine; not sure about yours.
In my case and to my surprise one of the front tires was defective (but looked perfect).
I swapped tires then pulled to other side.
I don't really suspect defective tire in your case because your issue shows up at low speed.
Maybe the centering valve, etc is stuck or out of adjustment.
I'd review shop manual to get a handle on PS operation.
Rufton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:30 PM   #3
gdiwicker

What are the odds that both the original gb and the new gb are out of alignment? Is there another component that would be effected by adjusting the gearbox bc I'm thinking that the new box would have been adjusted correctly or at least have different turning characteristics. Its the exact same issue and effort involved in making that turn.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:42 AM   #4
gdiwicker

Bump
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-25-2013, 11:15 AM   #5
TBONE1964
Cluster King

What happens if you jack the truck up and turn the wheels by hand without power assist? Does the problem still exist? Have you eliminated all possibility of a suspension binding issue? Are all the suspension components in good condition like the ball joints, tie rods, center link, idler arm, etc?

I am familiar with the ram style steering assist on early Corvettes and when they work, they work great, but when they don't, they can be frustrating to diagnose.

You are most likely going to have to work by the process of elemination rule on this.
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:30 AM   #6
Lee H

Did you use the shop manual? There is a very detailed, intricate procedure to run the hoses, set-up and calibrate the system. It's a very finicky system to get set-up right.

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:00 PM   #7
gdiwicker

Ok so another piece of the puzzle I noticed today. When the wheel is straight ahead and make start a right turn, there is no play at all, it goes right into the turn. Turning left, there is play from the 12 oclock position to about 10 oclock. Is this a relavent clue?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-26-2013, 11:08 PM   #8
TBONE1964
Cluster King

It sounds like you have 2 hrs of free play going on Not to be a smart #$* but it would be in your favor to use Lee H's advise and refer to the manual for this. They are a sensitive set up and like I said with my Corvette experience, either they work or they don't. It would be a waste of your money if I told you my opinion and what I think because that may not fix your issue.
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:13 PM   #9
gdiwicker

Yes I just read the entire steering section which made me realize I needed to tell you all that piece of the puzzle. I have not completed all the procedures yet.
Posted via Mobile Device