The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-17-2002, 11:02 PM   #1
Johns70

Exclamation big block story

some of you might have read my other posts about my rebuild,but the saga continues. first time i put it together,went all out and did every thing.took the std.bore 396 bored it .30 over,reground crank,resized rods with new arp bolts,new forged pistons with a 180 pop up,hv oil pump,pinned oil pump drive,crane 270 cam and lifters, cloyes double roller chain,new pushrods,new long slot rockers,rebuilt heads oval port small valve with mild port and polish and new springs,new street strip carter fuel pumpand push rod,elderbrock rpm manifold,holley vac 750 carb,accel hei dist,put it all together ran stong real stong, it break the tires loose when i would shift from first to second at wto,except it had this rattle that wouldn't go away even after three valve adjustments.went to changed the oil for the second time, what the f theres way to much metal in it. so tore it down and found a flat lobe on the cam,bad lifter,and a chewed up dist. gear. fought a little with summit they replaced the cam and lifters and give me 15% discount for a one time order. ordered new cam and lifters 282 3/4 race,guide plates,gaskets,rings and bearings,5/8 pitch single roller timing chain,had to go get another crank turned and polished,new oil pump std. pressure and screen {figured thats what chewed up the dist. gear} so the motor goes together again,break one of the rod bolts going back together never even clicked the torque wrench kept turning and then the shoots off across the garage,uhoh now what got another bolt and it torques down no problem.{the only thing i can come up with is the machine shop stretched it to far or it got dropped in the shop}runs good this time.the rattle went away from the time before,not sure if it was the cam or the guide plates making it but its gone,can definately tell the difference of the cams,the stall converter hits a little higher now,but we can deal with it . now, i runnin it now about two weeks {weekends only}coming home from the shop and i hear this squeal i think to myself boy that car sure is noisey beside me,then it turns off and the noise is still there.uhoh thats me making the noise. at the next light i pull up and stop and the oil pressure drops to zero,this isn't good i get threw the light and pull over and check oil level its up no trails of it behind me.i race home in it,only 4 blocks away.changed the oil started it up still no oil pressure.so i tear it down again,thinking to myself this isn't good i must have spun a main or a cam bearing.i start checking rear main looks good,pull the rod apart that broke the bolt,it looks good.pull the cam it looks good no flat lobes {sign of relief}cam bearings look good.uh where to look next.take the oil pump apart,the gaers are all groved up,i get lookingin the relief valve theres part of ,looks like a piece of spring,check the filter adapter,no the spring is still there,well where did it come from i ask myself?i reach in the tool box for another wrench i justhappen to notice the wire wheel sitting there for the 4" grinder,i check its a match.the light went off upstairs!! oh ya i used that to clean up head gasket area on the heads last time.why did i have to be a tight wad and not buy that 3-m gasket cleaning kit that i had in my had at the part store. sorry for such a long post i had to vent,i was so pevved off at my stupidy i was ready to push it out on the street.well now just waiting for payday to get gaskets and oil pump so i can put it back together for the 3rd time.i knew i should have put a small block in it.
Old 06-17-2002, 11:21 PM   #2
chevy72402
FARMER/RANCHER

Man, that sucks! but once you get all your problems taken care of you will absolutely love it!!!

1972 Chevy Blazer 2wd, tach, tilt, a/c, my first engine overhauling experience, Orange, with white top

2006 Gmc Sierra, XM, Z-71, dark blue, onstar, leather, rear entertainment (audio only) heated seats, (the wife loves that feature) upgraded tires immediately after purchase to Goodyear Wrangler AT/S (hate those rock throwers that come from the factory)
BWC
chevy72402 is offline   Reply With Quote