The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-21-2013, 07:34 PM   #1
Cartelpaintshop

Ride height and pinion angle

When they say setup the pinion angel at ride height an link bars to what is ride height
Posted via Mobile Device
Cartelpaintshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:00 PM   #2
SCOTI

Re: Ride hight an pinion angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartelpaintshop View Post
When they say setup the pinion angel at ride height an link bars to what is ride height
Posted via Mobile Device
Ride height = the height of the bags @ the correct recommended psi from the bag manufacturer. Once you know that dimension, you can set your upper & lowers mounts @ the correct distance apart.

Put the frame where you want/need 'ride height' to be. This plots where the mounts need to go because you'll set the mounts to enable the bag to be @ the correct psi.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:58 PM   #3
NEWFISHER

Re: Ride hight an pinion angel

Once you have determined ride height, pinion angle should be 3 degrees up and within a degree difference of the tailshaft.
NEWFISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:31 AM   #4
wraprail

Re: Ride height and pinion angle

Ride height refers to your frame height where you will do most on your driving. On a street car (truck) to be practical 4" seems to be a good average. Whatever number you come up with set the frame on blocks, figure tire height and set your rear on stands and build the suspension from there. Mount your bar (lower bars if doing a triangulated 4 bar) level to the ground. Do your bag mounts keeping in mind your max aired out position. Set your pinion angle the same as your transmission output angle only opposite. 3 degrees up on the pinion and 3 down on the transmission is preferred. Whatever the trans is the pinion must match. You also should build for as little change in pinion angle as possible through rear end travel. Tack everything and cycle the suspension making sure the angle stays consistent. I built mine at 4 inches but spend alot of time at a much lower height, mostly hwy driving. Because my pinion changes very little and my bag mounts were mounted to account for it not a problem. Hope this helps you out . .
Posted via Mobile Device

As for bag pressures, i really had/have no idea how you would figure that out. I used 9000s on the back and just made sure they didn't bottom out and used bump stops for my max down. Front i used 2600s and Z'd the frame. I run 50-60 psi front & rear and never over 80psi.

Last edited by wraprail; 09-23-2013 at 06:38 AM.
wraprail is offline   Reply With Quote