The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-18-2017, 03:05 PM   #1
MASTERBrian

harmonic balancer SBC

So, I'm going back through and putting a 350 I built 20yrs ago for a project that never came to be. I've been looking things over and turns out my harmonic balancer has some questionable wear on it.

Since what I seem to read says replace if in doubt, I need to get a new one. The motor is was built to be a nice running street motor, so it has a 270/280 Mega Hydr Cam, bored with 60 over flat tops, valve job, 4 barrel carb and I had the crank polished and balanced. I seem to recall taking the harmonic balancer in for the balance, but I see no signs of any drill marks on it.

Am I correct, that if he didn't alter the balancer, I can just replace it or should I have him rebalance the crank? I plan to pull the crank loose tonight to relube the bearings and I was hoping to then button up the lower end, so I can get this thing running soon.

With the above motor, is it necessary to go with a higher end balancer or is a nice 'factory' style ok? I priced two at O'reilly, one was $50 and the other $84. I've also priced elsewhere but obviously the prices are all over the place. I do like having a scale and the $84 one has that. Jegs has a Professional Products one that appears to be $150. Is that necessary on a motor that is developed more for street and low end torque than racing?

....I realize racers probably spend way more!
MASTERBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 03:10 PM   #2
MASTERBrian

Re: harmonic balancer SBC

I should also point out. My block is a '74 350 block. The balancer measures 6" across, but everything lists 6-3/4" or 8", but I'm assuming that's the pulley size!
Old 01-18-2017, 04:53 PM   #3
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

The harmonic damper is a neutral balance on all SBC's except the externally balanced 400. They don't 'balance' it, they put it on the end o th ecrank in case it is some minuscule bit out, it will be compensated for in the crank balancing. Same with the flex plate / flywheel. USE the one the crank was balanced with. IF the elastomer is visibly dried and cracked then worry. But otherwise verify it is TDC when the pointer says "0" and don't sweat it.

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 06:05 PM   #4
MASTERBrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
The harmonic damper is a neutral balance on all SBC's except the externally balanced 400. They don't 'balance' it, they put it on the end o th ecrank in case it is some minuscule bit out, it will be compensated for in the crank balancing. Same with the flex plate / flywheel. USE the one the crank was balanced with. IF the elastomer is visibly dried and cracked then worry. But otherwise verify it is TDC when the pointer says "0" and don't sweat it.
That the thing, the elastomer looks cracked on the back and like an o-ring that is oblonged on the front. I'm now 'worried'!

BUT, if the crank isn't balanced with it, is there really reason to worry, other than the $$ outlay?
Old 01-18-2017, 06:41 PM   #5
Wrenchbender Ret

You need to replace it. I like to use the 8 in on 350 engines. The new one does not need to be balanced with the crank.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 07:27 PM   #6
MASTERBrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrenchbender Ret View Post
You need to replace it. I like to use the 8 in on 350 engines. The new one does not need to be balanced with the crank.
My understanding was that if it came with a 6, it's needs to stay with a 6. Is that not true? What difference does it make? Also, what difference will it make on the balance of the crank if I were to go with an 8in?
Old 01-18-2017, 08:22 PM   #7
geezer#99

Why replace it. Run a line of white paint from the center bolt out to the outer edge and check to see if it's moving.
Do you have a pic of the balancer?
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 08:26 PM   #8
MASTERBrian

Here's a few pics.
Attached Images

Old 01-18-2017, 08:40 PM   #9
geezer#99

IIRC 6 inch balancers came on some 283's and 327's.
THe 6 3/4 and 8 inch came on 350's.

Are you sure you have a 350?
What's the casting number?
Old 01-18-2017, 10:14 PM   #10
MASTERBrian

You tell me....those casting numbers are also listed for 327. Here's the catch, the original block was cracked do the machinist sold me this one. From the E304 code, my understanding is its a May 30 1974 block which would be a 350 block from flint Michigan from June 11 1974. 350 145hp 2 bolt tur hydro trans. The last part from the V0611CMR.

I bought a truck with motor from a friend, understanding was always that it was a 350. Since I don't have original block, anything else is out the window. It was in a 79 short wide pickup.

The machinist was and still is a reputable machinist in area, BUT there could be question if he lied about block being cracked because he needed 327. I'd doubt that, but possible. Then there's the question of whether the balancer on it was bad and someone not knowing grabbed a used one, being the wrong one.

As of now I have a 350,'bored 60 over. Crank was polished and balanced, what do I do?
Old 01-18-2017, 10:26 PM   #11
geezer#99

Mark it and check it to see if it moves or buy another 6 inch one.
Rockauto lists some for a 327 if you want a 6 inch.
Could be you're right, someone used it because it was handy.
http://www.rockauto.com/
Old 01-19-2017, 07:56 AM   #12
cadillac_al

It does have a weird imperfection in the 2nd pic around the 10:00 position. I would replace it.
77 Chevy K10
cadillac_al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 11:38 AM   #13
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Without question, replace it. Even if it doesn't come apart while running, it is very likely the outer ring will spin and make your timing marks off. I have had to deal with 2 different engines that this happened to.
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 11:46 AM   #14
MASTERBrian

I called the machinist and he said bring it by and he'd check it out. He said since he would have had it to balance the crank, if it had been bad he would have known....of course 20yrs of setting could cause damage as well, I'm sure. That said, he seemed to be of the opinion that some older 350's used a smaller balancer and thus it could have been original.

My understanding is the crank is internally balanced, he said he would have spun it balanced it, then stuck on the balancer and flywheel and balanced them separately if needed and thus he'd just have to balance a new one, but going bigger would also affect my timing cover's timing pointer, so I'll just take all of that in to see where we are.
Old 01-19-2017, 01:03 PM   #15
Rickysnickers

FYI I had to replace the balancer on my 350. I have a 6.75" balancer on mine. I bought one of these, http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...316P&ppt=C0332 Works great.
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 01:06 PM   #16
MASTERBrian

Just ordered one from machinist, he didn't like looks of mine. My timing pointer is set for an 8", so that's what we went with. He'll balance it and have it ready Monday/Tuesday..

Thanks for all of the replies
Old 02-01-2017, 03:57 PM   #17
MASTERBrian

I'm back here on this....

I got the replacement in last week and yesterday I finally got a chance to install it. I rented the install tool and everything seemed to be going ok. I was making progress, then it got to the point, it just seemed to stop moving. I stopped, checked everything and it seems good. There is about 1/8" from edge of pointer to edge of balancer and that is what I recall there being. I seem to have just shy of 3/4" from back of balancer to front of timing cover. It wasn't like it hit something and stopped, it just got tougher to turn and if I keep going something feels like it might give and break, so I think it's on.

The issue is I held up the old water pump and pulley, lightly put pulley on front of balancer and they don't align.

I'll try to post pics from my phone in a few, but what do I do? Pull it back off and measure? Should have thought of that before, but i didn't. Am I missing something else?

The old balancer was a 6" balancer, the new one is an 8". I've swapped pulley's from what was on this motor, as those had the extra notch for the A/C belt and for now I'm not running A/C and the ones on the motor in the Suburban had the one less pulley, so I'm going to run them. The dimensions all seem the same, except for having the extra pulley. The balancer on the 350 in the burb is a 6-1/2"? I haven't measured the thickness of the balancers....maybe that is the issue.

Anyone know??
Old 02-01-2017, 04:00 PM   #18
MASTERBrian

Pics.

The Orange water pump and Orange balancer ate on the engine in the suburban, which I read comparing to. They aren't the one in question with pulleys not lining up.
Attached Images

Old 02-01-2017, 04:17 PM   #19
MASTERBrian

Went back out and looked again. The pulleys appear off by about 1/8-1/4". I'm guessing maybe the key moved on me. I'll pull it back off and check again unless I hear something before hand.

Holding old balancer for comparison. I am guessing they are the same size at the length of shaft, but no clue.
Attached Images

Old 02-01-2017, 04:52 PM   #20
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASTERBrian View Post
Pics.

The Orange water pump and Orange balancer ate on the engine in the suburban, which I read comparing to. They aren't the one in question with pulleys not lining up.
The 2nd pic shows the balancer not installed all the way on to the crank snout if you ask me. Looks like the timing tab was pried away from the cover a bit to make the marks work.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 04:56 PM   #21
MASTERBrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
The 2nd pic shows the balancer not installed all the way on to the crank snout if you ask me. Looks like the timing tab was pried away from the cover a bit to make the marks work.

Gary
I thought maybe that tab is slightly bent, I might pick a new one up and replace it. I just threw it on because I was putting the timing cover on and didn't have a washer besides the pointer. I also can't believe how bad that cover looks in the pics. I had considered replacing it, but got tired of trying to find a replacement that would definitely work with a double roller chain that was horribly expensive! Luckily in person the bit of marring isn't too bad and it's not like the cover is a highly visible piece...

I'll pull the balancer later and re-check it and get some measurements to know for certain. Thanks!!
Old 02-01-2017, 06:25 PM   #22
MASTERBrian

Snuck out and pulled the balancer off. It appears to be 1.3" from crank gear to front of oil seal. Both balancers have a shaft length of about 2.4". The woodruff key was questionable looking in the rear section of it do i pulled it and will pick up a replacement.

One question I have is, the crank gear woodruff key sticks out a bit. Will the balancer slide over that as well? I don't see what would stop the balancer hub other than the crank gear.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:41 PM   #23
garyd1961

Your old balancer looks like a 307 balancer to me but the machinist should have known if it was.
garyd1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 10:55 PM   #24
MASTERBrian

That old balancer was small, he said run it until he saw it closely, then he ordered a replacement.Both ate same hub size.
Old 02-02-2017, 12:06 AM   #25
GRX

Good that you got a new key. Check & deburr the keyway in the crank snout too. Hope the seal in the timing cover is in good shape. Don't go dry. Use brake fluid as lube when pressing on the dampener.

As to your question why this part is needed ... to start, the name "balancer" is a misnomer as we are working with a harmonic dampener. The rubber and weighted outer ring are there to dampen and absorb torsional vibrations. Otherwise they would build to the point of extreme shaking at certain speeds.