The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-17-2022, 03:24 PM   #1
Randal Barrick

Opinions on disk brakes

Hello All.

This is my first posting on this site.

I bought a 1955 3100 that had been sitting for 20 years. It has a 350 V8 in it with a Power glide. Otherwise completely stock. Oh, I did get it running and was able to get it home.

Question: I'm starting to get this truck road worthy and am looking for opinions on front disk brakes. Will be changing the master cylinder and all rear brake components. Thinking now is a good time to alter the front brakes, but need advice on which kits work best.

The truck will be used for driving around town and occasional tows to our local race track in Medford. My D Sport doesn't weigh much, with the trailer and D Sport on it only about 2000 lbs so good brakes, good shocks, and such will be needed.

Not building a hot rod, although it does have a V8.

All advice is greatly appreciated.

Oh, scored on a perfect set of 55 front fenders painted Bombay Ivory.

Thanks.

Would post pictures but need to figure out how.

Last edited by Randal Barrick; 03-17-2022 at 03:27 PM. Reason: asking question
Randal Barrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 01:02 AM   #2
dsraven

Re: Opinions on disk brakes

gotta have pics, thats how it works, haha.
welcome. nice intro with some info on your truck and it's intended purpose. some more info on the truck would be good. 55 is the year they changed part way through so there is a first and second generation truck for 55. the first is the advanced design truck and the second generation is the task force truck, totally different units, looks wise, but a lot of similarities mechanically. nice to have scored a v8 so I assume it is a second gen truck but lots have had a v8 installed where a 6 cyl once sat. since you mentioned a 350 it has at least had some rework done. the powerglide wouldn't have been stock either.
questions
-do you plan to do a power brake upgrade, if so, will it be a frame mounted unit under the floor or a firewall mounted unit
-do you plan to keep the solid axle with standard steering
-do you plan to use disc front and drum rear
-if town driving and possibly some towing consider what upgrades you will want over time and then work towards that end with any upgrades you do on the way there. no use spending money on upgrades that will be removed later. town driving is harder than highway driving if you don't have power steering. towing with standard brakes can be a little scary if the trailer brakes are not in tip top condition and adjusted properly or the trailer is not brake equipped

I really recommend a complete and thorough inspection of the whole truck before you start spending money. engine, cooling system, fuel system, exhaust system, electrical system, trans, clutch, brakes, frame, front axle and steering, rear axle, linkages, body, glass etc. get a really good baseline on what needs repair, if anyting, and then decide on how those repairs, if any are needed, will be carried out and how much the cost will be. what can be done together to save time and money etc. pick the safety items first, dont start driving it around until it is safe for you, passengers, and others on the same road.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 09:37 AM   #3
dsraven

there is a thread that explains how to post pics. are your pics on a desk top computer? I only ask because sometimes pics from a phone will post sideways or upside down.
go to the page for "the 47-59 chevrolet and gmc pickups message board" and scroll down till you find the thread that says "pics and how to post". it's easy.
Old 03-18-2022, 02:39 PM   #4
Randal Barrick

Thanks for the response. Will do some research and post back.
Randal Barrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 12:27 AM   #5
dsraven

any pics yet?
Old 03-21-2022, 08:28 AM   #6
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Try this
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=627506

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote