The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-10-2011, 03:45 PM   #1
zac

350 block differences

I was checking the engine stamping codes on the pad on the right-front of all the 350 blocks I have, just checking to see where they came from. There are six 3970010 blocks, the last one I bought last fall off Craigslist, it's the newest with an Aug '78 cast date. The pad at the front of the engine on this one is about half the size of the other ones (see pictures). Is this just some pointless variation, or is there something else to it? It has no numbers on the pad, which makes me think the block may have been decked.
Attached Images

zac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 05:02 PM   #2
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: 350 block differences

That's just the way the blocks are from about '78 on up. I guess GM was just saving a little bit of cast iron bu eliminating some of that pad that wasn't necessary
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:32 PM   #3
zac

You know me and my son were talking about that, it seemed logical but kind of ridiculous at the same time. Change the casting just to save a little bit of cast iron? I believe it.
zac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:56 PM   #4
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Yeah, when you make thousands of castings a few ounces or maybe even a 1lb shaved of the engine block would save thousands. But, don't forget that it also reduced the overall weight of a vehicle.

Government mandated mpg requirements made these companies do some weird things. I remember reading that to cut overall weight to increase gas mileage they asked the engineers to come up with any method they could to decrease weight without diminishing integrity. Thinner metals and use of plastics was a definite outcome of this.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:10 PM   #5
rfmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68gmsee View Post
Yeah, when you make thousands of castings a few ounces or maybe even a 1lb shaved of the engine block would save thousands. But, don't forget that it also reduced the overall weight of a vehicle.

Government mandated mpg requirements made these companies do some weird things. I remember reading that to cut overall weight to increase gas mileage they asked the engineers to come up with any method they could to decrease weight without diminishing integrity. Thinner metals and use of plastics was a definite outcome of this.
Yep -

Over the years it got so bad that later on GM forced Melling to re-design their 'tried and true' oil pump housing to reduce weight! The few ounces of cast iron that they were able to take out resulted in cracked oil pump housing and people like us being screwed in the process.

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=336701
http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153113

//RF

1975 Chevrolet C20 longbed
350/700R4! with 3inch body lift
Dual Flowmasters Super 40's!
TBI retrofit completed (2007-07-29)
New 383CID (+030) 08-304-8 9.5:1CR x36,005 (2012-12-17)
rfmaster is offline   Reply With Quote