The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-09-2021, 12:09 PM   #1
May70

Experiences with a custom made bench seat??

So one day while I was dreaming of being ready for an interior..... I found this custom seat and nearly drooled all over my phone.

I was expecting maybe $1.5k-2k for the seat ready to bolt in, its custom after all.... right? So I hit the guy up and told him I wanted one. He proceeds to tell me it was $16... THOUSAND for the seat, panels and dash pad...... Yes, I asked him to repeat it, that is $16,000.00. Needless to say I didn't bother asking how much for just the seat.

Has anyone ever had something like this made? Ball park range for a custom seat?? Anyone have enough upholstery experience to tell me if the typical automotive upholstery shop can make this? Is this some sort of extremely difficult job with hundreds of hours involved??

I'm still in disbelief on the price.
Attached Images

How to repair that rusted out 67-72 c10-c30! Please subscribe!
https://www.youtube.com/c/MaycoCustomRestorations
May70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 12:25 PM   #2
layinrocker65

Re: Experiences with a custom made bench seat??

Snowden will make something close to that, bolt in for your truck too.
‘74 Chevy C10 SWB 5.3/4L80e, Vintage Air, Dakota Digital, US Mags
layinrocker65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 01:50 PM   #3
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

I went with Snowden. Bolts in with new frame and adjustable mounts. That seat you have pictured is high end real leather which drives the price up like crazy. Snowden can make you one that looks similar to that (won't be real leather) for less than 10% of the price of that one.

Here is a pic of mine. I ordered 5 yards of additional material from Snowden and had the door panels, headliner, steering wheel, dash pad, and speaker enclosures (not pictured) all covered locally. It adds up quick.
Attached Images

1971 C10 Stepside. LSx 6.0 with BTR Stage IV, Speed Engineering Headers, 4L80e transmission w/3200 Circle-D Stall. 3.73. Posi. Purchased this truck when I was 17. I started the rebuild (or take apart) in 1993. I have drug it around all over the country in pieces. Finally back on the road in 2021.

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far."
1971Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 02:08 PM   #4
HO455
Post Whore

Not being an upholstery guy by trade i would guess that the leather used in that seat and interior adds significantly to the price. Maybe GrumpyOldMan will chime in and confirm my assumption.
I am currently having the seats for my Burban redone. Both front and back seats are custom. To the tune $2800. Including powder coating and a spare tire cover.
I did the front frame modifications myself. The second row seats are out of a square body Burban. The link shows most of the front seat changes over a couple of pages.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...698377&page=28

The picture is of a members truck that inspired me. It has been so many years ago I dont remember the members name. Maybe they will see this and respond so I can thank them.

There are lots of different bench seats out there you can swap in for a 1/10 of the cost.
Attached Images

If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 12:24 AM   #5
Grumpy old man

[QUOTE=HO455;8891653]Not being an upholstery guy by trade i would guess that the leather used in that seat and interior adds significantly to the price. Maybe GrumpyOldMan will chime in and confirm my assumption.

Typically leather adds 2/3 to the price . $16 K for a truck interior ? Well for me the truck better come with it There is an amount of waste that comes with using leather hides and when you buy it you pay for every square 1/2" usable or not . Most people don't know that when you buy a car with "leather seats" the only part that's real leather are the surfaces that touch your skin , The sides and backs are color matched vinyl . There are fewer and fewer shops around anymore and there are no set prices for the same job from one person to the next it's purely based on what the shop owner feels like charging you on that day and time and materials needed .You can go to an Auto upholstery shop or to the " De Elegance auto salon " in the strip mall . The guys who have built a name for show interiors are gonna charge you just as much as for your daily driver . Fancy shop fancy prices . the best time of year for upholstery work are Nov thru Jan when they are slow Just like the best prices for body/ paint are June thru Aug . During show season .

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 08:58 AM   #6
BigBird05

That sounds like the "I don't want to make you a seat" price. Been there and done that with engine builds.
BigBird05 is offline   Reply With Quote