The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-19-2002, 08:36 AM   #1
Low69CST

Got my remote entry kit

Just yesterday I got my kit from LMC. I thought that it might be a dedicated kit for 67-72 trucks, but I was wrong, it was just these universal pieces. The 2 door lock acuators look kind of cheap because every part on them is plastic. But I guess they'll be ok. I was dissapointed by how they were wired. My Painless kit is wired for power door locks, but ones that are switch opperated. Being that my kit is just a remote entry system, I can't use the painless wires. Its no problems, but I'll have yet another circuit not in use and it'll add some more clutter to the wiring in my truck.

I'm thinking I need to put the windows and regulators in my truck before installing this kit? It would suck to paint my truck, then figure out I gotta redrill holes and stuff for these things. Also, I want to mount the remote control box for the keyless entry on the speaker box i'm putting behind my bucket seats. Preferrably on the passenger side. I think this would make a neater job by keeping fewer wires from the drivers side, since the entire painless harness already runs through that side. I'll definately be doing one of my world famous tech articles about this contraption. If anybody has any tech tips I'd like to hear them.
Quad Suspension and Dual Tanks
Low69CST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2002, 08:54 AM   #2
tom hand
CCRider

When I put one on mine, I found that the way your supposed to hook on to the locks didn't work very well. There were rods that hook on to the existing rods that go up to the top of the door for you to operate the lock. The setup did not have enough leverage and was putting a strain on the solinoids. My solution was to hook on to the lever that the key cylinder operates. Had to drill a small hole in it thru the lock cylinder hole. It was much easier on the solinoids.
Old 06-21-2002, 12:45 AM   #3
Low69CST

ttt
Old 06-27-2002, 02:30 PM   #4
Low69CST

Angry Made in Tiwan

I started fooling with installing this kit. I was reading the directions and they had been sized so small I couldn't read the words on the instructions. So i get looking for a company name and a tech line in the instructions. Then i realize there is no company name or phone number in the instructions. I start looking on the box. It says Testors Keyless Entry. But no address, phone number or anything. Bad sign huh? I started putting in the wiring harness and I realize that all the wires are about 5 feet too short. Theres also a second harness that has one yellow wire that splits into 2 wires. The instructions say lamp output. Does that mean dome light? If it is, I think the yellow wire is a hot wire, which won't work on our trucks. Since our lights use ground to come on. I got this kit from LMC, if anybody has had any dealings with it, i'd like your imput.
Old 05-04-2003, 10:49 PM   #5
KEH
Better late than never

Low69,

Did you install this kit yet. Just wondering because I'm thinking about ordering it, & would like to know if you had any install problems. The power window kit from LMC didn't have a manufacture's name or number either. I haven't install it yet, but the instruction are really awful.
Old 05-04-2003, 10:55 PM   #6
Jackal2k9

the lamp light thing is prolly a switch to activate the dome light/courtesy lights when the truck is unlocked. It has a control box that is hot and lights that wire whenever it's set to. You prolly splice into the existing lamp wiring.test to see whcih one is hot.
Jackal2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 11:04 PM   #7
tom hand
CCRider

Wow this is an old post. Yes the yellow wire is proably hot but you can use it on our trucks. Just use a 12 volt relay so the dome light gets grounded when the wire is "hot"
Old 05-04-2003, 11:36 PM   #8
Low69CST

I put the selanoid things in the doors. Let me tell you, pain in the ass. The wires they come with don't work with the rods in our doors, so I had to custom make stuff that I hope would work. It really gets tricky, cuz you gotta guess about leverage and how much power those thigns have, plus get them located so they have the proper distance for extention and retraction. I took some pics that I'll try to find. I didn't get it wired up cuz I just now got the wiring completed to the point to fire the motor. Not long after i started putting these in we got my motor built and ofcoarse I'd rather spend time listening to my 415 than installing these crappy door things. I'd say they are typical universal stuff, if you want keyless entry on our trucks you don't have much else of a choice. I just hope they work alright. I'll let you know when i finish getting them wired up.
Old 05-05-2003, 01:04 AM   #9
KEH
Better late than never

Sounds like those things are pain to install. Sorry to hear that. Are there any other aftermarket alternatives?
Old 05-05-2003, 01:52 AM   #10
Chevy Wrench
former desert rat

Location: salt lake city, utah Home of the 3 M's Mormons, methlabs and minivans
Yes there is. I was looking through a magazine the other day and saw some solinoids that are mounted directly to the latch assembly. It looks asthough all you have to do is replace the latch and wire it up. I will try and find it, and post the info. From what I saw, it looked like the best kit for the job.
94 Chevy Silverado Ext cab 4/6 drop w/ 18's and 2500watt system (work truck). 67 Chevy swb under const. frame off custom, 20's, bagged and a large rat under the hood,and a 1940 Chevy truck under const.
Chevy Wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 02:48 AM   #11
Chevy Wrench
former desert rat

Location: salt lake city, utah Home of the 3 M's Mormons, methlabs and minivans
Ok, here is the info from the April 2003 issue if Classic Trucks.
www.customclassic.com the picture in the mag is in their "Parts Department" page 12.
94 Chevy Silverado Ext cab 4/6 drop w/ 18's and 2500watt system (work truck). 67 Chevy swb under const. frame off custom, 20's, bagged and a large rat under the hood,and a 1940 Chevy truck under const.
Chevy Wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 08:53 AM   #12
Blue Beard

try autoloc, they have a good selection...
1956 Chev Bel Air
1977 Blazer 2WD For Sale $3000.00
1978 Blazer 2WD For Sale $7000.00
1978 Silverado
2005 Monte Carlo
Blue Beard is offline   Reply With Quote