The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-10-2021, 07:14 AM   #1
Swedchevy67

Steering column shifter and parts

My 69 truck was changed from steering column shift (3 gear)
to floor shifter, And I don’t like it at all.
Unfortunately the previous owner bought it like that, so
he couldn’t help me with the parts.
Now I’m asking all of you on the forum
where I could get the best info and parts to
converted it to original.
I have no info here in Sweden 🇸🇪
Thankful for any help
Swedchevy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 12:00 PM   #2
Accelo

Re: Steering column shifter and parts

Good used parts for these are almost impossible to find. I remember repairing them when the trucks were less than 10 years old. What I am saying is they weren't very durable when new. Best bet would be if someone out there has a used one from the changeover to an automatic? If it was me, I would convert it to an automatic and be done with it. I realize that may not be feasible for you in Sweden.
I did sell a truck to a fellow countryman. I was a 1970 Anniversary addition with a 396 and an automatic. For a big block the cost of fuel must be almost $1 a mile in Sweden.
Rick
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 12:58 PM   #3
Swedchevy67

[QUOTE=Accelo;8892013]Good used parts for these are almost impossible to find. I remember repairing them when the trucks were less than 10 years old. What I am saying is they weren't very durable when new. Best bet would be if someone out there has a used one from the changeover to an automatic? If it was me, I would convert it to an automatic and be done with it. I realize that may not be feasible for you in Sweden.
I did sell a truck to a fellow countryman. I was a 1970 Anniversary addition with a 396 and an automatic. For a big block the cost of fuel must be almost $1 a mile in Sweden.

I have search everywhere and I believe you’re right. It’s just so boring having a floor shifter, when it’s made for column.
To answer your last message, the petrol cost around 16.00 kronor per litre (1 litre is 3,8 gallon)
16.00 kronor = 1,88USD
Swedchevy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 02:51 PM   #4
Accelo

I did the math. It would be approximately $7.14 dollars per gal. (depending where you are at it's about $3.00 a gal here. So that would be roughly $.60 a mile for fuel. Or $143 to fill the tank if it's 20 gal.

I know people that have repaired with epoxy. Depending on where the issue is.
I would likely pull it apart and inspect it as almost anything can be wrong. Maybe you will get lucky. Do you have the shift rods for the linkage?
Do you have the parts breakdown of the column internals?

I am assuming you have read this thread? It covers some of the parts than you can get.
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=819348

Last edited by Accelo; 03-10-2021 at 03:01 PM.
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 09:22 PM   #5
BigBird05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accelo View Post
I did the math. It would be approximately $7.14 dollars per gal. (depending where you are at it's about $3.00 a gal here. So that would be roughly $.60 a mile for fuel. Or $143 to fill the tank if it's 20 gal.

I know people that have repaired with epoxy. Depending on where the issue is.
I would likely pull it apart and inspect it as almost anything can be wrong. Maybe you will get lucky. Do you have the shift rods for the linkage?
Do you have the parts breakdown of the column internals?

I am assuming you have read this thread? It covers some of the parts than you can get.
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=819348
I know of one shift rod. I don't know which one it is or for which 3 speed trans, I have read that different 3 speed trans take different rods. I do know that it is out of a 68 C-10. I will go pick it up if it will help. The truck still has the clutch and brake pedal assembly too if you need it.
BigBird05 is offline   Reply With Quote