The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-02-2010, 03:31 PM   #1
gtbrain

My 66

First off, I have to thank all the members on here that i have garnered a wealth of info and inspiration from to even want to get this old truck road worthy again. And second, I am bad at taking any photos of the work along the way. My son did take a quick video of it last night and that is posted below.

We bought this truck 3 years ago for my son to haul his mx motorcycle. We paid $400 for it. It made it to its first winter and then we decided to tear it apart. And I am sure most of you have went through the exact same thing. You start off just going to do a little here and there....and before you know it, it is in a million pieces. That is where this site has come in. Without all the knowledge to be found here, it would have remained in pieces.

It is still a long ways from perfect and from being totally finished, but it has experienced its cam break in at this point. I have not yet had it out on the road since rebuilding the engine.

The engine is the original 250 that i had bored .40 over. I went with the 307 flat top pistons and oversize valves. I also added Tom's stovebolt cast iron split header, an offy intake and holley 390 4bbl carb. Comp 260h cam, all new rockers, lifters and push rods. New harmonic balancer from the Damper Doctor. HEI. And also cobbled together a power steering setup for it.

The machine shop that did the block work also polished my crank. I should have posted up a pic to show the pitting on a couple of journals. They told me no worries and I talked with some local guys and most thought that it would not be that big of a problem. Time will tell i guess.

I bolted in a crossmember from an 83 half ton and went with drop spindles and springs. It has been so long I can't remember what drop i went with. lol.
I wish i remembered where i got my front drop shocks also, because one is leaking oil at a pace similar to the BP disaster in the gulf. And it has not encountered one bump yet. Crap. The rearend is out of the same 83 with drop springs. I have reason to believe it is a 3.08 ratio.

I have to get the windshield in. Just building up my courage to do it myself. I have put in other rubber gasketed windshields but this one scares me for some reason. The original was cracked beyond repair and this replacement comes with some nasty wiper marks but i will address that after i get it in....hopefully successfully.

The brakes need some more bleeding also. Just can't seem to get them to firm up. All new brake lines and hoses. The master is out of the 83 donor also, along with the proportioning valve, so I thought I would have no issues.

It also needs some fine tuning as far as the timing. I have a stuttering and backfiring problem once I hook up the vacuum line to the dist.

Like I said this is and never was going to be a show truck. It has been fun and frustrating at the same time working on it. I have replaced both rockers and various other patches of rust. A fender that was touted as being rust free to 200 miles later being almost in worse shape than the original. I took it home though and made one out of two.

heres where she is at as of last night. thanks for looking.

gtbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 12:44 AM   #2
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: My 66

That sounds good You don't see/hear too many built 6 cyls. Looks like a pretty solid truck too.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 01:48 AM   #3
LILRED66
Account Suspended

Welcome aboard and thanks for posting. It appears you have a great project. Keep us posted with the videos or photos or your progress. Sounds like you really have that thing breathing & exhausting pretty good. I like it.
LILRED66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 11:31 AM   #4
irish1966

Looks good and welcome.

66 LWB Fleet (on hold)
64 LWB Fleet (daily driver)
65 SWB Fleet (almost finished as a driver)
64 SWB Fleet (just started - "Tommys Hot Rods" tribute truck)
Nothing worth doing, is easy.
irish1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 09:17 PM   #5
protrash64
Resistance is Futile

Looks good and sounds really cool!!!!!
STRENGTH/DETERMINATION/MERCILESS/FOREVER
.......posted via stationary device
protrash64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 09:26 PM   #6
DPowers
One foot in front of the other

Cool- welcome
DPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:49 PM   #7
bubba327
HOW long until spring??

Sweet!! a built six!!! I love it . I bent my new exhaust pipe to come out the same place in front of the tire !!
bubba327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 02:22 PM   #8
64Fugly

Looks good. Sounds good. From what vehicle did you get the Power steering from?

64Fugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 04:42 PM   #9
gtbrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64Fugly View Post
Looks good. Sounds good. From what vehicle did you get the Power steering from?
The pump and gear box came from an 83 1/2 ton. The brackets came from a multitude of places. It was the toughest part to find. It is kind of a mutt. I found some of the bracketry at the local junk yard and it came from an old nova.
gtbrain is offline   Reply With Quote