The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-09-2012, 02:59 AM   #51
smoknbarrels
Registered Mail

Re: Build: I've never done bodywork...but I can change if I have to! (bagged '67 SWB

Ripped out the old diff and swing arms, pressed in new bushings (good job for our 20 ton press!) and mocked up my new weld drag lites with 29x15.5 skins. If I can't get traction with over 30 inch of surface contact between the two tires, something is severely wrong. not sure how close I can get to the frame rails, as my pan hard bar is gonna be shifting the frame a little, hopefully it will move less then an inch, I will try make the longest one I can for minimal deflection.
I have to get started on narrowing a ford 9 to stuff in there, I am shooting for my overall width from outside to outside of tires to be 72 inch wide. I sure hope this will allow me to keep the tires off the tub sides, and just rest on top when aired out..

Name:  March 8th 2012 002 (Small).JPG
Views: 2122
Size:  102.7 KB
smoknbarrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:46 AM   #52
67cheby
67cheby

Re: Build: I've never done bodywork...but I can change if I have to! (bagged '67 SWB

Looks fat in the back !! Looking good
Posted via Mobile Device
67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:58 AM   #53
JRBECK64

That thing is Bad A__!!! Your truck is looking like a million bucks. Great Job.

JRBECK64
JRBECK64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:37 AM   #54
notsolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoknbarrels View Post
Ripped out the old diff and swing arms, pressed in new bushings (good job for our 20 ton press!) and mocked up my new weld drag lites with 29x15.5 skins. If I can't get traction with over 30 inch of surface contact between the two tires, something is severely wrong. not sure how close I can get to the frame rails, as my pan hard bar is gonna be shifting the frame a little, hopefully it will move less then an inch, I will try make the longest one I can for minimal deflection.
I have to get started on narrowing a ford 9 to stuff in there, I am shooting for my overall width from outside to outside of tires to be 72 inch wide. I sure hope this will allow me to keep the tires off the tub sides, and just rest on top when aired out..

Attachment 886935
Going to be a sweet truck, keep it up.... great progress. When you get to the body work sanding painting, good respirators are very important.
notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:11 PM   #55
smoknbarrels
Registered Mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67cheby View Post
Looks fat in the back !! Looking good
Posted via Mobile Device
Yea, I hope it fits nicely, trying to get them as close to the frame rails as I can..
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRBECK64 View Post
That thing is Bad A__!!! Your truck is looking like a million bucks. Great Job.

JRBECK64
Thanks! heck, I'll be plenty happy if it looks like 100K!
Quote:
Originally Posted by notsolo View Post
Going to be a sweet truck, keep it up.... great progress. When you get to the body work sanding painting, good respirators are very important.
Thanks, it's trying sometimes.

well got some more progress done, but nothing too wild and crazy, did some more blasting, did a whole lot of sanding the paint off the cab, basically just cleaning all the old layers of paint off getting it ready for etching primer.
but there is gonna be a bit of a break now... goin to Hawaii for a few weeks, so no more updates for a while!!

Name:  March 13 2012 004 (Small).JPG
Views: 1692
Size:  106.2 KB
Old 04-04-2012, 03:25 AM   #56
smoknbarrels
Registered Mail

wow am I tired tonight! worked 14 hours straight on the truck today , sanded off about 10lbs of old paint. figured I'd be all rested up from the vacation, but turns out it's harder to get motivated when off the project for a few weeks, today was the first day I worked on it since back, and I got home last wednesday!
I slaped the 9 inch Moser diff together, but now I am worrried I went too narrow, we'll see tomorrow when I fit it between the frame rails with tires on it.

got most of the cab sanded, still need to blast the bottom floor.
Name:  April 4th 2012 002 (Small).JPG
Views: 1725
Size:  91.9 KB
this Moser diff and axels are quite heavy duty
Name:  April 4th 2012 001 (Small).JPG
Views: 1728
Size:  66.4 KB
setting up the wilwood disc brakes
Name:  April 4th 2012 004 (Small).JPG
Views: 1746
Size:  88.7 KB
all ready to snap some u-joints!
Name:  April 4th 2012 005 (Small).JPG
Views: 1731
Size:  89.3 KB
Old 04-04-2012, 07:53 AM   #57
duallyjams

Why not use a wish bone instead of a panhard bar

63 GMC V6 4speed carryall
65 chevy swb bbw V8 auto
68 K20 327/4 speed, buddy buckets
2002 GMC CC Dually Duramax

64 GMC lwb 3/4 V6 4speed SOLD
66 GMC swb bbw buddy buckets SOLD

IG duallyjams

The only thing that stays the same is constant change!
duallyjams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:43 AM   #58
RexDodge

Trucks coming along nicely and I see you have been doing some interior decorating in the shop. Nice additions to the walls.
RexDodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:22 AM   #59
mcbassin
Still Learning

This is a great looking project! I remember when you were searching for an accomplished body man. I guess that didn't turn out too well. I'm glad to see you're tackling the job yourself. I love the tanacity. Keep up the hard work.

Oh, I love the new shop too.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:30 PM   #60
67cheby
67cheby

i dont say this very often......MAN YOU HAVE A NICE REAREND !
Old 04-04-2012, 08:15 PM   #61
smoknbarrels
Registered Mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by duallyjams View Post
Why not use a wish bone instead of a panhard bar
Thats a really good point, does anyone make one? or does everyone fab their own?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexDodge View Post
Trucks coming along nicely and I see you have been doing some interior decorating in the shop. Nice additions to the walls.
yea, hunting is a way of life for us, the small guys go in the work shop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
This is a great looking project! I remember when you were searching for an accomplished body man. I guess that didn't turn out too well. I'm glad to see you're tackling the job yourself. I love the tanacity. Keep up the hard work.

Oh, I love the new shop too.
Haha! yea, the search ended up to be a dead end, so I am giving it a go, stay tuned for the fun segment.. "paint"!!

Quote:
i dont say this very often......MAN YOU HAVE A NICE REAREND !
how to respond to that one, so many good one liner's come to mind, haha! but yea it does look good so far, I know the 9 inch is heavy duty and a good way to go, but I still feel dirty putting a ford part into my chevy. (that ones for you Corey! haha)

Well, didn't do anything yet today except go to a farm auction. but I did manage to find this little gem at a local Princess Auto store, had to give her a new home in my shop! with it's 4 cylinders and dual stages, she is gonna make some really pissed off air when I connect my new sandblaster to it!
Name:  April 4th 2012 A 003 (Small).JPG
Views: 1634
Size:  90.5 KB
Old 04-04-2012, 08:42 PM   #62
Dusty4x4

The truck is looking good, Where did you get the shop from?

Never stop trying...

Last edited by Dusty4x4; 04-04-2012 at 08:53 PM.
Dusty4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:14 AM   #63
smoknbarrels
Registered Mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty4x4 View Post
The truck is looking good, Where did you get the shop from?
Thanks, but I gotta pull up the socks, I been a bit lazy since getting back from holidays, haven't gotten much done last few weeks!
shop sheet metal can be ordered all over the place, got it from a local farm supply store. it's a 2x6 stick frame construction on concrete slab, cut all the sheet metal with 1 pair of tin snips.. wouldn't do that again unless you are training your hands for some sort of death grip skill!
Old 04-11-2012, 02:05 AM   #64
502ms

Looking real good!
http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Atlas-BP8000
Check out this 2-post lift for low ceiling garages
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-11-2012, 09:49 AM   #65
67cheby
67cheby

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoknbarrels View Post
Thats a really good point, does anyone make one? or does everyone fab their own?

yea, hunting is a way of life for us, the small guys go in the work shop!

Haha! yea, the search ended up to be a dead end, so I am giving it a go, stay tuned for the fun segment.. "paint"!!

how to respond to that one, so many good one liner's come to mind, haha! but yea it does look good so far, I know the 9 inch is heavy duty and a good way to go, but I still feel dirty putting a ford part into my chevy. (that ones for you Corey! haha)

Well, didn't do anything yet today except go to a farm auction. but I did manage to find this little gem at a local Princess Auto store, had to give her a new home in my shop! with it's 4 cylinders and dual stages, she is gonna make some really pissed off air when I connect my new sandblaster to it!
Attachment 902849
HOLY SMOKES !! that is KILLER
Old 04-12-2012, 08:28 PM   #66
master 1969 c10

looks like your doing a great job just take it slow and ask any ? and someone will help u out we all love theses trucks and from what i have read we are all here to help each other out. Keep up the great work u are doing. Doug
master 1969 c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:01 AM   #67
PHAT TONY

Just stumbled across this, gonna be shweet. I'm having a hard time with 60/hr for a side job; I'm 60/hr door rate! I've reserected 1 or 12 of these trucks over time, and I'm an old fat bodyman, any ? just ask.
1970 Chevrolet C/10-Sold
1968 GMC 4X4-Project
1968 Chevrolet C/10 Pro Street
1970 GMC 3/4 Ton-Parts
1997 2WD 2DR Yukon-Sweet
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=335664
PHAT TONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:52 PM   #68
smoknbarrels
Registered Mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by 502ms View Post
Looking real good!
Thanks!

Quote:
HOLY SMOKES !! that is KILLER
Yea, was a lot of work to put it in! it actially sits on a 2x2 tubing frame 3 inch from the celing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by master 1969 c10 View Post
looks like your doing a great job just take it slow and ask any ? and someone will help u out we all love theses trucks and from what i have read we are all here to help each other out. Keep up the great work u are doing. Doug
Thanks, seems like I been taking it a little too slow the last two months!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHAT TONY View Post
Just stumbled across this, gonna be shweet. I'm having a hard time with 60/hr for a side job; I'm 60/hr door rate! I've reserected 1 or 12 of these trucks over time, and I'm an old fat bodyman, any ? just ask.
Awesome!, I am sure I will have a bunch of questions when I get a little closer to paint.. gett'n there!
Old 04-28-2012, 07:42 PM   #69
aussie67c10

Hey bud ,i wish i had your shed . ime building my truck in my driveway. Looking good by the way.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:27 PM   #70
Dustydog

looking good!
2004 C5 Vette
Dustydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:38 PM   #71
canadian sledneck

that is one sweeeeet compressor, can i borrow sometime?haha Truck is looking great!
canadian sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:05 PM   #72
smoknbarrels
Registered Mail

yea, things have come to a stand still at the moment, been busy seeding the last few weeks, and the kid is coming any day now! so it most definitely will not be done in time.. still shooting to have it mobile for at least ONE run this late summer..

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie67c10 View Post
Hey bud ,i wish i had your shed . ime building my truck in my driveway. Looking good by the way.
Thanks, you can have a shop anyday, all the material is at the store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustydog View Post
looking good!
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian sledneck View Post
that is one sweeeeet compressor, can i borrow sometime?haha Truck is looking great!
funny thing is the compressor was awesome, but my buried cable to the shop would not support a 10hp motor, so i had to take it back and get a smaller compressor, with a 5hp motor.. still good, just not as good for sandblasting..
good thing princess auto has a good return policy!
Old 05-22-2012, 04:29 PM   #73
Tinkermc

You should be very proud of your work on the truck, the new compressor will help for a long time to come. The shop is wonderful, you may need to install an exhaust fan for painting or it may be there I just didn't see 1. Keep up the good work and pics.
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:00 AM   #74
smoknbarrels
Registered Mail

Time to update the Thread a little, may have lost a few during the summer, Just so much going on I had to wait till winter before I could start on the truck again, I think that will be a growing theme.
Finally finished my shop, and built another one for farm equipment during the summer...Also had our son, sure takes up a lot of time and energy, so now the goal is to finish it before he is One!

I told him if he didn't finish eating his meal, I'd make him drive a Ford when he's older... I then got the stare down, I don't think he found it amusing that I would even joke about that.
Name:  006 (Custom).JPG
Views: 1050
Size:  62.2 KB

Took forever to align the diff to weld in the perches just perfect, just didnt want to make any major errors, so I had to measure 14 times and weld once. I am certain that custom ford 9 weighs twice what the stock C-10 was.

Name:  Jan 10 2013 (1).JPG
Views: 1112
Size:  92.4 KB

just a little test fit, also made some spacers out if 1x4 tubing, so the rear would bottom out in the C-notch

Name:  Jan 10 2013 (2).JPG
Views: 1251
Size:  104.0 KB

test fit the doors and front fenders, some how I got a '68 and up cab+rad mounts kit, so I am not sure if the cab mounts are thicker or not? I know the rad support mounts don't fit, but if I change the rad support mounts to '67, I am not sure if I have to change the cab mounts as well?

Name:  Jan 24 2013 (10).JPG
Views: 1059
Size:  90.6 KB
Old 01-25-2013, 01:09 AM   #75
YBNORML

Looking good! I understand how hard it is to find time to work on these things. I just had another kid as well Do you still need that cab section or did you manage to get yours fixed?

68’ GMC shortbox
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=794201

72' 2WD Blazer
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=425385

67' LongBox C-10
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=691845

InstaGram ybnorml67
YBNORML is offline   Reply With Quote