The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-01-2017, 09:17 PM   #1
DPete

Putting new glass in old frames?

Is that hard to do? side window and wind wings. My frames are good, just need paint, it is cheapest by far to just replace the glass. Even if you take them to a glass shop I think it's cheaper
Old 01-01-2017, 10:17 PM   #2
gigamanx

Re: Putting new glass in old frames?

I will have to do the same. I already ordered the glass, but you can see where I need to replace. The biggest problem currently is how to get those special screws off that hold the bottom track. My frame looks good but will need the de-rust treatment (vinegar). Subscribed to see the answers you get.

gigamanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 11:02 PM   #3
joedoh

the big glass is easy, take it apart, tape the new, and replace it. just dont mix up the bottom sides like I did haha, maybe do one side at a time or mark all the pieces discreetly before taking it apart, so that all the marks are on the same side of the glass. get a rubber or wooden mallet to whack the glass on the edge to seat it in the frame, otherwise the bottom wont fit back on. new glass tape is cheap and easy to use.

the wing glass on the 51-55 trucks, I have heard (but never done it) that it is a straight pain in the tukus to replace, you have to drill out rivets? I am going from memory.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 11:06 PM   #4
crossfire84

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigamanx View Post
I will have to do the same. I already ordered the glass, but you can see where I need to replace. The biggest problem currently is how to get those special screws off that hold the bottom track. My frame looks good but will need the de-rust treatment (vinegar). Subscribed to see the answers you get.

Those special screws are clutch head screws, soak them in penetrating oil for a few days. Look at my build thread I redid mine last summer.
C4 rear
Porter built a arms
Never give the Devil a ride,because he'll want to Drive!
crossfire84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 11:31 PM   #5
mdpaulson1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPete View Post
Is that hard to do? side window and wind wings. My frames are good, just need paint, it is cheapest by far to just replace the glass. Even if you take them to a glass shop I think it's cheaper
My local glass guy told me it was cheaper to order on EBay, Mine came with frames and free shipping, think it was a $109 per side. you can get just glass for under $50
mdpaulson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 11:38 PM   #6
1958Warrior

Not hard , I have a thread saved on it , I think over on the Stovebolt website. I'll post a link to it :
http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/wi...ild/index.html
Also do a search here on it, been done before

I had to cut a slot in the clutch head screws and use a big flat screw driver to remove, not worth saving IMO Just replaced them with normal bolts.
The glass setting tape that I had bought ,I think was 0.032 thick ,WAY TOO Thick, I ended up buying a Large bicycle inner tube and cutting it into 2 long strips, was enough to do both wing windows and door glass.
You will probably find you also need to replace the 4 rollers on the window regulators at the same time ,pretty easy also just need a grinder and punch and chisel.

For the vent window seals DO NOT BUY the LMC Rubber it is junk, mine deteriorated into string cheese in about a year. Invest in Soft Seal or another quality seal ,Cost more but you don't want to redo it over.

Will also want/need to replace the division felt and the run channel at this time.

Last edited by 1958Warrior; 01-01-2017 at 11:57 PM.
1958Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 12:28 AM   #7
1958Warrior

also want to install new belt line wiskers.
Here are a couple of you tube vids
1st is removal
https://youtu.be/BTtfDgnTJtw

2nd is install
https://youtu.be/zQ7iLf5VZfc
Old 01-02-2017, 01:05 AM   #8
1958Warrior

After jogging my memory there are 6 rollers ,3ea side, and it was a pain in the butt to do , why you only want to do it once.

3rd removal and install good vid
https://youtu.be/SisvdXgScog
Old 01-02-2017, 11:15 AM   #9
DPete

Thanks for the vids & tips, I'm headed to Classic Industries later in the week does anybody have experience with their rubber parts good or bad?

Last edited by DPete; 01-02-2017 at 11:38 AM.
DPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 12:06 PM   #10
crossfire84

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPete View Post
Thanks for the vids & tips, I'm headed to Classic Industries later in the week does anybody have experience with their rubber parts good or bad?
There products and service are top grade.
C4 rear
Porter built a arms
Never give the Devil a ride,because he'll want to Drive!
crossfire84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 12:25 PM   #11
gigamanx

I got my glass separated from the frame, but I noticed some black trim in the channel. Does anyone know what this is? Is it off the shelf rubber sealant or some sort of specialty item? I looked on LMC and ClassicParts...I'm guessing I need that before putting the new glass into the frame

Build Thread Phase 1 "The Swap": 1949 3100 with S10 swap. Beginner build with ambition!

Build Thread Phase 2 "The Drop": Beginner Build with Ambition gets Air Ride
Old 02-01-2017, 12:40 PM   #12
joedoh

Quote:
I got my glass separated from the frame, but I noticed some black trim in the channel. Does anyone know what this is? Is it off the shelf rubber sealant or some sort of specialty item? I looked on LMC and ClassicParts...I'm guessing I need that before putting the new glass into the frame

its glass setting tape, you tape the edges and it is the friction fit in the frame that keeps it from rattling or leaking.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 09:06 PM   #13
1958Warrior

There is also a seal that the window sits in and kinda seals against the bottom of the window opening when the window is up. Think it just keeps bigger debris from going down in the door Its #6 lower window seal runs across the bottom of the window.
http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/ca/full.aspx?Page=19

I had a long piece of hardened rubber laying at the bottom of my doors , took me a little while to figure out that they were the lower seal that had fallen off.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:56 PM   #14
DPete

Quote:
I got my glass separated from the frame
Was this tricky not to bend the frames? I was going to squirt lacquer thinner around the frame to hopefully help release the tape. Suggestions welcome
Old 02-02-2017, 12:29 AM   #15
paulspickupparts

If you are not trying to save the glass it is relatively easy to get the glass out.

Lay over a trash can and remove the glass with a hammer. Safety glasses and gloves recommended .

If you want to save the barrel screws and glass then lightly heat the barrel screws with a torch. Then some penetrating oil. Spray them down and give them a good wrap with a screwdriver , clutch head of whatever they have. Remove .
Once the screws are out get a 1 x 4 on end and knock off the bottom sash. With one hand holding the glass with upper frame (upside down) tap both ends of the upper frame. Usually it will pop off . If not or if someone used urethane or something else you may have to use some lacquer thinner or other measures to loosen.
New barrel screws are available if you mess them up.
Get the right size setting tape and revers the order . As someone mentioned there is a rubber seal on the bottom sash that many forget. Not hard but takes a little time.
paulspickupparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 12:56 AM   #16
mr48chev

Quote:
Could be bits of the original or replacement (if it was ever replaced) glass tape or it could be some sort of sealer that a glass shop put in.

I'm a do almost everything on the build myself but glass is the absolute least favorite on the list and I would much rather pay someone else to do it than do it.
I have discovered over the years that there is almost a guy in every town of any size who works in a glass shop who takes on side jobs. I usually have a friend of one of my best friends do the glass at my friends house he has a shop and place to work and I don't. Next time around the truck goes to the glass shop he works at though as I have to have tempered glass made for the door windows.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 09:42 AM   #17
gigamanx

Was not difficult getting the glass out of the frame. I had a small screw driver in the channel and slowly nudged it out. The glass was broken as you can see from a previous picture, so it came out in chunks anyway. Frame came out clean. I am pretty sure everyone is right, it's the setting tape I took out. No idea what thickness I need for the new stuff. The windshield and back glass I will definitely have a glass guy install for me. I'm sure they are much faster and more efficient with it. That may be a while though since I don't think I'll be ready to paint this year.

Build Thread Phase 1 "The Swap": 1949 3100 with S10 swap. Beginner build with ambition!

Old 02-03-2017, 07:02 PM   #18
DPete

How does one get the right thickness tape? The first time so as not to make a mistake.
Old 02-04-2017, 01:00 AM   #19
tmoble

here's a few pics for you, these are from my 57. one of the quality vendors here should be able to get you the right thickness tape.

http://s685.photobucket.com/user/tmo...?sort=2&page=1

look closely at the pics, there's detail there. like trimming little triangles out of the tape strips in the corners.

I had a harder times with the windwings as you see. a few cheapie home depot clamps really helped. I **think** I used liquid dish soap; as a lubricant. There might be something visible in the pics.

Last edited by tmoble; 02-04-2017 at 01:08 AM. Reason: left out words, again. it's helll getting old.
tmoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 12:09 PM   #20
DPete

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmoble View Post
here's a few pics for you, these are from my 57. one of the quality vendors here should be able to get you the right thickness tape.

http://s685.photobucket.com/user/tmo...?sort=2&page=1

look closely at the pics, there's detail there. like trimming little triangles out of the tape strips in the corners.

I had a harder times with the windwings as you see. a few cheapie home depot clamps really helped. I **think** I used liquid dish soap; as a lubricant. There might be something visible in the pics.
Thank you, good pics
Old 02-07-2017, 08:57 PM   #21
gigamanx

Not sure what happened to my last post.... I measured the left over stuff that came out of the glass frame. It's 1/16" thick by 1" wide and has been pressed into a U shape over time that the glass fits into. I'm still trying to source 1/16" glass setting tape because it seems all the classic truck sites sell a thinner 1/32" tape. I also noticed restoration specialties has some glass setting channel as opposed to tape. Maybe that's the way to go?

Old 02-11-2017, 01:33 AM   #22
1958Warrior

Just found a piece of the glass setting tape that I had ordered and tried to use that was WAY TOO thick it measures .070. The bicycle inner tube that I had bought and ended up using was .032 thick, worked well. It was the largest diameter tube Wal-Mart had for a mountain bike or 10speed cant remember.

(I had posted earlier that the tape was .032 and too thick but I was remembering wrong)

Last edited by 1958Warrior; 02-11-2017 at 01:52 AM.
Old 02-07-2023, 10:15 AM   #23
Auctioneerhere

https://bobdrake.com/collections/gla...ape-1-16-thick

Several sizes on this website.
Auctioneerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 12:32 PM   #24
Second Series

For the door glass setting tape, I used something like this when I did my '47 about 30 years ago. It was a fabric strip with no adhesive, trim the excess after in place. https://www.classicparts.com/1947-50...hoC7Z0QAvD_BwE
1955.2 Chevy 6700 Bus/RV
1990 Chevy K1500
Second Series is offline   Reply With Quote