The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-02-2009, 07:12 PM   #1
swyfor5

Custom bumpers

Hi ya'll, I'm back. I got a new pc, and am ready to rock! Have been looking for some custom bumpers for the first gen. k5's, and can't find much out there. Looked at the wincher from kennesaw mtn., but would like some feedback from you guy's. Have done research on this before, but am looking for something new or different. Really like the design of the wincher, and don't want a tube- prerunner type of bumper. Glad to be back-K5 to stay alive!
swyfor5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 06:07 AM   #2
vtblazer

Re: Custom bumpers

There's a fairly current thread running over in the 4x4 section here:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...custom+bumpers

A few more threads found through search:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...archid=1151926

Good to have ya back.
vtblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 07:01 PM   #3
swyfor5

Thank's Kurt. Hoping this summer I can get the project started. My k5 has been in storage for ten years now, and it's time to get it restored. Got the new pc, the digital camera, the new video camera- just need my location to tear into it. When the weather breaks here in n. Mi., I'll try and post up some pic's! Anyway's thank's for the welcome back!
Old 04-06-2009, 06:06 AM   #4
vtblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swyfor5 View Post
Thank's Kurt. Hoping this summer I can get the project started. My k5 has been in storage for ten years now, and it's time to get it restored. Got the new pc, the digital camera, the new video camera- just need my location to tear into it. When the weather breaks here in n. Mi., I'll try and post up some pic's! Anyway's thank's for the welcome back!

Sounds like we have another build thread about to show up.

I don't remember, where's it at now in the process?
Did you ever start it last year or where you still gathering parts?
vtblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 08:58 AM   #5
swyfor5

No, I haven't started it yet. Finished up my dad's 1966 pontiac project though. That turned out really sweet! I did order a custom wincher bumper from Kyle at Kennesaw Mtn. Should be here in a couple of weeks. Been watching the rocker panel thread as I will be doing some major repair in this area. I like those truck rocker panels you posted. Think thats the way I'll probably go. I will get some pic's of the new bumper as soon as I get it here and try to post them up. Never posted any pic's, and have to figure out how. Later.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:28 PM   #6
swyfor5

Name:  Before k5 went to storage 001 (744x1024).jpg
Views: 3345
Size:  23.8 KB Wow here's a pic of my k5 before I put it in storage. I hope the pic works, my daughter helped. Hopefully she will teach me how to do it! K5 to stay alive!

Last edited by swyfor5; 04-10-2009 at 09:30 PM.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:12 PM   #7
swyfor5

playing with pic's, hope it works. 1970 k-5 converted to 1972 grille set up. Converting back to 1970 original.
Old 04-18-2009, 04:41 PM   #8
swyfor5

Anything new going on with custom bumpers? I ordered a new front one from Kennesaw mtn, but am not really fond of the rear ones they make. Need one that will hold a 40 in. spare, a highlift jack, possibly fuel/jerry cans. Anybody seen anything new and interesting?
Old 04-22-2009, 03:41 PM   #9
swyfor5

Got the new frt. bumper coming from KMA, so now looking at what winch to put on it. Been researching Warns, but don't know much about winches. Any thoughts?
Old 04-25-2009, 04:58 PM   #10
swyfor5

What winches will work good with these bumpers? Any thoughts?
Old 04-27-2009, 10:46 AM   #11
Burt4x4

1999 KMA wincher, their first design.
I run HS9500i WARN and it has always done what I have asked it to so I can't complaine!
The other one I would consider is the Ramsey 12000 worm drive ~ suppose to be VERY strong but kinda slow.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:38 PM   #12
swyfor5

Thank's, Burt 4x4. Have seen many awesome pic's of your rig. I like the looks of the KMNTA wincher. That's why I ordered one. I ordered one like the one on the white k5 on their website. Have seen some of your pic's on how you made yours fit right. Thank's. I asked Kyle at KNNTA about winches and he said stay away from the Ramsey worm drives. Don't really know why? Think I'll look harder at the Warns. Any advise on battery setup?
Old 04-29-2009, 10:02 AM   #13
Burt4x4

Best pic I could find of both my batts. Years ago I found a driver's side batt box from a guy online. I forget what he told me he got it out of but GM did make them for 67-72 pickups so it bolted right up to my K5. One hole needed ot be drilled if I remember correctly.
I run Red Top Optimas, on my second set now, first set lasted about 6yrs in my current setup.
I use http://www.hellroaring.com/4wheel.php battery isol/combiner.
Check out that site, lots of great info and scematics.
There is cheeper was to do it but I love the fact I can control my batts from the cab of my rig. If I need dual batt power I simply flip a switch. If my primary batt goes dead i simply flip a switch. If my Alternator dies i know about it before my engine drains the batts.
The cheaper relay or silynoid way works too, just not as "smart" of a system as the Hellroaring setup, plus Hellroaring is 100% electronic, no moving parts (silynoid/relay).
I used 2ga batt cables and 8ga single wire 140amp altinator.
Hope this helps.

Burt
Old 04-29-2009, 03:59 PM   #14
swyfor5

Oh ya, that's what I'm talking about. So cool! Thank's! Always wanted dual batteries anyway. Gotta love this forum! What are you currently running for a rear bumper? I'm looking for one to kinda match my KNMTN wincher.
Old 04-29-2009, 04:35 PM   #15
Burt4x4

I made mine = bought precut DIY 3"x8"x6' square tube from 4x4iron(no longer in biz) they had a rear bumper kit that you weld up. I made the top swing out carrier on my own, just didn't want to try that long of a cut with my oxy\acc torch

Sorry I didn't take pics as I made it, I only have the first one I posted.
I have seen many many different bumpers made out there so google rear blazer bumper or whatever to get some ideas. If you are not a welder then once you get an idea of what you like see if you can find a local fab shop that can weld something up for you..
.02c
Old 04-29-2009, 04:47 PM   #16
Burt4x4

Now I have 8lug 1ton so I have to drill out the mount for the bigger wheel studs. The tire carier is welded to a 1000lb trailer spindal to handel the weight of the larger tire/wheel combo. It swings out with ease
Old 04-29-2009, 08:20 PM   #17
swyfor5

Burt, sweet rear bumper. Looks like a good match to the frt. Also like the hilift jack mount! It looks like your reciever hitch mount sits lower than your bumper. That type of setup may help me in my situation, what with the 8" lift and all. Might be able to tow the boat after all- without dragging the motor prop!
Old 04-30-2009, 09:58 AM   #18
Burt4x4

Here you can kinda see what I have going on under there.
See the bottom of my fuel tank skid plate I made. Then the hitch is about the same hight from the ground. I often 'feel' that hitch hit the ground/rock/whatever, but I'm totaly cool with that. It keeps the rest of the truck off the obstical.
The tail pipe is kinda in the way but you can see the bumper mounting bracket. That bracket goes into the bumper and is welded inside and out, front of the tube and the back of the tube (welded up before I capped off the 3"x8"x6' tube). The hitch is actually part of the frame now cuz it is welded to the end of the frame as well as bolted to it. that sucker is going NOWERE! hahahaa
I have yanked out many fullsize rigs out of mud and sand and even with my 454 that bumper does not move one bit. The frame would have to brake before it came loose or bent

Oh ya one other thing that hitch is good for, briging dirt home from MOAB hahaha RED dirt was stuffed into the hitch and I left it there..made it althe way back to Cali hehehee
More coffee
I need ot go wheeling...this web wheeling is not filling the need! I am heading to Pismo for Mamorial weekend so IT'S AWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ok maby less coffee heheheh
Late
Old 04-30-2009, 03:58 PM   #19
swyfor5

Nice! Kinda what I'm looking for. I got a real nice gas tank skid plate and tank off a 72? suburban years ago, and swapped it onto my K5. Like I said on the other thread, I'll try to snap some pic's this weekend. Here's my project in a nutshell. Bought K5 in 1981, was daily driver in stock condition till like 1986. Installed 4" lift w/35" BFG"s, which included cutting the fenders a bit. 1990 installed the 8" lift w/ 39.5" s. swamper tsl's. Runs a 350 mtr., with 4 speed manual trans. Wife and I had a lot of fun w/this rig until wham-kids! Set of twins in 94 and 1 more in 98. All girls. Life goes on, K5 ended up on back burner. Put it in storage in 2000 and it's been there ever since. Found the internet thing and it was on! Planning to break it out and do it up right this time! Been buying parts and etc., getting ready, almost there. Wish I could weld!
Attached Images

Old 04-30-2009, 04:13 PM   #20
Burt4x4

Cool man, thanks for the story, now I understand the lack of pics hahaha
That is way cool you have had it for so long
All girls, wow you're out numbered! hahha I have a boy and two girls.
I am on the internet at work..so avoiding work to talk about Chevys hehhe
Have a good one!
Burt
Old 04-30-2009, 05:33 PM   #21
swyfor5

Maybe I better explain the old pic. Not a typical Mi. whitetail. Lived in Wyoming for couple of years, and shot this nice antelope while there. Bought K5 in Salt Lake City, Utah. Kinda getting off topic, sorry, how about those custom bumpers?
Old 05-01-2009, 09:47 AM   #22
Burt4x4

I didn't know if antalopes were on the east coast or not...I don't get out of California nearly enough. I go duck hunting every year but never realy did any game hunting. I have a 30-06 ready to be used but haven't gone with my hunting buddies yet, bairly enough time for wheeling in my life....oh well when the kids get older I will have more time...I hope

oh ya, bumpers...google images is a quick way to get ideas:
http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...gbv=2&aq=f&oq=

Have a GREAT weekend!
Burt
Old 05-01-2009, 11:00 PM   #23
swyfor5

Bumpers, Bumpers, Bumpers! Looking for any other idea's out there.Love Burt4x4's set up, and leaning in that direction. Really looking at the spare t mount, and mounts for extra "stuff"!
Old 05-04-2009, 07:48 PM   #24
swyfor5

Got the frt. bumper coming from KNMTN , and wondering if this is going to be a problem. Seems the po had a plow or ? on the frt. Tore the frt. bumper off when a chain slipped off coming out of a mud bogg. Took off both frt. bumper "mounts", which were just kinda tack welded on. I straightend them and prepped them to go back on, but don't think I'll need them for a custom KNMTN bumper. Any thought's?
Attached Images

Old 05-05-2009, 11:16 AM   #25
Burt4x4

I will share with you what I needed to do to make mine work.
Keep in mind this was 1999 and I have no clue how the bumper you ordered will mount up but it can't be all that different....

I mounted my KMA before I had a winch, once I got the winch I had to extend my bumper outward or cut my gril. I did NOT want to cut the gril.
In the pic above you can see the brown mark were the frame end (the piece you are missing) lined up on the bumper.

the hole you see here are the holes I made as the bumper did not come pre-drilled. I cut both ends off and re-welded longer plate so I could extend the bumper out to clear my gril.

Also keep in mind that I told KMA I ad a 3"bodylift so he made the bumper mount higher to close the gap between frame and body.

I made a xmember/brace to keep the front part of the frame solid, side pulling with a winch can bend steel.
In this pic you can see the factory rivits and spring hanger to give you an idea how much frame you are missing, I guess about 4" or so.
Also look to the far left, see that vertical gusset, I added that to keep the winch mounting plate from flexing. Just to the right of that gusset you can bairly see the weld were I extended the bumper mounts. The mounts extend all the way to the body mount, you can see just a bit of it above the frame by my 3"bodylift mount.

Here you can see the x-member I made w/winch mount gussets and the way the bumper mounts turn up to compensate for my 3"BL. (don't look at my crossover steering in this pic, it is the first setup I installed and I am not running it like that, not a good design)
Anyway hope this helps you figure it out...