The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-23-2017, 07:58 AM   #1
jabos

Clutch question

I have a 51 3600 with I believe the original 3 on the tree trans, where and who would I go to for the parts I need for a new clutch and a front bearing on the trans?
jabos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 01:03 PM   #2
dsraven

Re: Clutch question

any good parts supplier can get you a clutch kit. you will also need to resurface the flywheel. you will need some blue loctite for the flywheel bolts plus the proper torque to tighten them to. as for the bearing, you can probably also get that from the parts supplier, you may need to look for a guy who has been around the block, so they know how to use a parts BOOK, not just the computer.
pick up some trans oil as well, drain it overnight so you get as much crud dripped out as possible before you pull it apart
the bellhousing may need to be removed to get the flywheel out, that means supporting the engine because the bellhousing has the rear mounts for the engine. can't remember if it is required to be removed or not.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 01:53 PM   #3
whitedog76

Rockauto is a good place to start for parts. Your truck would either have a 9 1/8 or 10” clutch.

To get everything out, you’ll have to pull the trans first, by removing the 4 bellhousing bolts. Of course, you’ll need to unhook the driveshaft and on the 3600, unbolt the carrier bearing. Your throwout bearing will probably fallout, so having a buddy helping you so it doesn’t shatter on the floor is recommended.

The bellhousing doesn’t need to come off. In fact, you can’t even get to all the bolts with the flywheel on.

The pressure plate comes off, then the flywheel, this is done under the truck. Kind of a PIA.

As far as the transmission, some snap ring pliers and a bearing puller are all that’s needed for the front bearing.
whitedog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 02:30 PM   #4
dsraven

good catch there whitedog, forgot about those hidden bolts behind the flywheel.
after the flywheel is turned ask the machinist how much was taken off. you may need a shim behind the flywheel to keep the geometry right for the release brg. the machine shop usually keeps those in stock but maybe not for an old engine like this.
ask the shop if they grind the flywheel or use a cutter. grinder is preferred because the cutters can bounce over the hard spots and cause an uneven surface. also ensure they do the before and after measurement so they know how much they took off rather than " I think" statements.
wear a particulate mask because the dust from the clutch wear is carcinogenic. I usually use an old pump spray bottle to wet things down so there is no dust.
Old 12-23-2017, 02:31 PM   #5
dsraven

also check the release fork for wear at the ball stud pivot and the ends of the fork where it rides on the bearing. easier to replace when apart.
Old 12-23-2017, 04:01 PM   #6
jabos

Thanks guys for all the input.
jabos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 04:06 PM   #7
mr48chev

As was mentioned the only way the clutch comes out is out the bottom. I usually stick a long heavy duty screw driver or pilot shaft in through the clutch into the pilot bushing before I start taking the pressure plate bolts off or when I am taking them off to catch the pressure plate before it falls on my face while I am taking it loose. Just a safety thing but it is a lot better to have a good grip on the pressure plate with one hand and pull the screw driver or pilot shaft (pilot shaft works better) and not have the pressure plate drop on your head or arm, same with the flywheel and even more important. I had one drop and catch the fat on my arm once and had ring gear marks on my arm for a long time. Just a safety thing that no one mentions while working on these clutches and flywheels that may save you a bit of pain.

Rock auto has good prices and good service on parts but be and sure to check local sources as when you add up the shipping costs the total often evens out. It's easier to carry the old parts in, lay the on the counter and match them up with the new parts than hope that you ordered the right parts even though you measured twice. You can find out the local Napa, O'Reilly's and Autozone prices online for comparison if they show the parts as the older some rigs get the less the parts houses show. Don't buy hard parts =engine, trans, clutch or bearings or brakes through the Truck trinket vendors unless you can't find them anywhere else or the actual price is competitive with other venors as quite often they jack the prices of rather common hard parts up or ask full list price.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote