The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-12-2018, 06:44 PM   #1
RMBLFSH

What causes...

The back of the hood to lift, and how do I fix it?
Attached Images

RMBLFSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 07:08 PM   #2
saxart

Re: What causes...

That is a classic sign of worn out hood hinges. You can either look for a tighter set of used hinges, or have those hinges repaired/rebuilt. This guy isn't cheap, but he does FANTASTIC work:

http://www.hoodhingerepair.com/

Willie did a set of hinges for my truck and I can't be more happy with them.
Old 08-12-2018, 07:45 PM   #3
mr.precision

Yup the hinges are worn.
I have had some success by moving the hinge assembly UP which allows the hood to sit DOWN a little further..... depending on how worn the hinge rivets are. Just a suggestion.
mr.precision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 08:22 PM   #4
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxart View Post
That is a classic sign of worn out hood hinges. You can either look for a tighter set of used hinges, or have those hinges repaired/rebuilt. This guy isn't cheap, but he does FANTASTIC work:

I concur, Willie at hoodhingerepair.com did my hinges and they are better than new.

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" 4 Things When Used are Gone Forever "

" A Word After it is Said - A Missed Opportunity - Time once Passed - Trust after its Lost "

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 09:11 PM   #5
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
What you need to do to lower the back the hood is to loosen the bolts that hold the hinge to the fender (only enough so that the hinges will move) and have a helper push up on the front of the hood while you tighten the bolts. This rotates the hinges back, raising the front of the hinge and lowering the rear. This will lower the hood in the back. Sometimes you can leave the front bolts snugged up and just loosen the rear two and get enough adjustment and sometimes you can't.. You need to be very careful when you close the hood after doing this in case you moved it too much or the hinges did not move evenly, side to side. Have your helper watch the rear and one side while you watch the front and the other side.

If the hinges are worn it generally won't change how high the hood sits by more than a fraction of an inch, unless they are about ready to fall apart. I have never seen a vehicle with this style hinge that you couldn't put the hood lower than the fenders if you wanted to. There is a lot of adjustment with these hinges. That is one of the things that makes it easy to align the panels.

If you put new rubber bumpers on the inside lip of the fenders where the hood closes, some of the replacement bumpers are a lot thicker than the originals and will hold the hood up, so check that also....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 10:37 PM   #6
darrellyates

Lots of these trucks exhibit this issue. Frequently caused by having the hood open to show off that engine...

I went thru a couple of sets on my last '68. For the current build, I just bit the bullet and bought a set of the polished aluminum ones by Eddie Motorsports. I've had the hood open and closed a lot, with no alignment issues so far.

I believe that was the best solution for my truck anyway.

Good Luck! I've got a set of original hinges I wish somebody wanted... NOT for sale, just wish I knew somebody who wanted them.
darrellyates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 11:33 PM   #7
67swb72klb

If you haven't done it lube the complete hinge helps a bunch if its dry.
Old 08-13-2018, 01:03 AM   #8
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxart View Post

This. Ready to mount and powder coated too. He treated me well and nice guy. I'm a year out from mounting those and the door hinges he rebuilt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67swb72klb View Post
If you haven't done it lube the complete hinge helps a bunch if its dry.
Speak of Willie, he suggests Sea Foam DC-14 Deep Creep Lubricant.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 02:26 AM   #9
Fbks_Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-
What you need to do to lower the back the hood is to loosen the bolts that hold the hinge to the fender (only enough so that the hinges will move) and have a helper push up on the front of the hood while you tighten the bolts. This rotates the hinges back, raising the front of the hinge and lowering the rear. This will lower the hood in the back. Sometimes you can leave the front bolts snugged up and just loosen the rear two and get enough adjustment and sometimes you can't.. You need to be very careful when you close the hood after doing this in case you moved it too much or the hinges did not move evenly, side to side. Have your helper watch the rear and one side while you watch the front and the other side.

If the hinges are worn it generally won't change how high the hood sits by more than a fraction of an inch, unless they are about ready to fall apart. I have never seen a vehicle with this style hinge that you couldn't put the hood lower than the fenders if you wanted to. There is a lot of adjustment with these hinges. That is one of the things that makes it easy to align the panels.

If you put new rubber bumpers on the inside lip of the fenders where the hood closes, some of the replacement bumpers are a lot thicker than the originals and will hold the hood up, so check that also....

LockDoc
This! My hood looked just like yours. Thought I needed new hinges. Did a bit of searching on the forum and found exactly what LockDoc is suggesting. I tried it and my hood now fits perfectly and “pops” when I release the latch which it would not do before. This will cost you nothing to try.

Matt
Fbks_Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 07:34 AM   #10
bill3rail

Still love this site, I find information that I did not know I needed. I did notice my hood popping up in the back and didn't think about it at all.

Thank you,
Old 08-13-2018, 11:27 PM   #11
RMBLFSH

Great suggestions all.

Thank you.
Old 08-15-2018, 06:21 PM   #12
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Just rec'd a can of that Seafoam and took it to the hinges on my 72 beater. Honest to God I've never seen a hood open/close so easily.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
Old 08-21-2018, 08:49 AM   #13
RMBLFSH

Hey all,

I would like to report that Loc Doc's suggestion to loosen and rotate the hinges worked like a charm for me.

Trying this might save you a few bucks on buying hinges you may not need.

Thanks,

Rich
Old 08-21-2018, 12:00 PM   #14
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMBLFSH View Post
Hey all,

I would like to report that Loc Doc's suggestion to loosen and rotate the hinges worked like a charm for me.

Thanks,

Rich

Good deal! Thanks for reporting back.

LockDoc

-
Old 08-23-2018, 10:49 PM   #15
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMBLFSH View Post
Hey all,

Thanks,

Rich
I learned long ago if Loc Doc says it's so it's so. No pressure intended Loc Doc
Old 09-03-2019, 12:16 PM   #16
Signkutter

I have a problem with my hood kicking up in the rear like that on one side. All the bolts seem tight. after the hood is shut i can press down on the kicked-up side and it will sink down a good 3/16 inch...bad hinge?
Signkutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 12:53 PM   #17
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signkutter View Post
I have a problem with my hood kicking up in the rear like that on one side. All the bolts seem tight. after the hood is shut i can press down on the kicked-up side and it will sink down a good 3/16 inch...bad hinge?
Follow the instructions I posted in post #5. I would try just the hinge on the side that is up first, but you may have to loosen both to make it work. You need 2 people to do it.

LockDoc

-
Old 09-03-2019, 01:04 PM   #18
Signkutter

Quote:
Follow the instructions I posted in post #5. I would try just the hinge on the side that is up first, but you may have to loosen both to make it work. You need 2 people to do it.

LockDoc
It sounds like your instructions are for an empty engine bay....am I wrong in that assumption?
Old 09-03-2019, 01:33 PM   #19
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
It sounds like your instructions are for an empty engine bay....am I wrong in that assumption?
The instructions I posted are the same whether there is an engine in the truck or not. Wouldn't make a difference.....

Not sure what gave you that impression.

LockDoc

-
Old 09-03-2019, 03:20 PM   #20
Signkutter

Quote:
The instructions I posted are the same whether there is an engine in the truck or not. Wouldn't make a difference.....

Not sure what gave you that impression.

LockDoc
Pushing up on the hood from the front. But I get it. I appreciate the information
Old 09-03-2019, 04:03 PM   #21
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Pushing up on the hood from the front. But I get it. I appreciate the information
No problem.

LockDoc

-