The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-09-2017, 12:33 PM   #26
Popcorn W

Re: Built not bought

I enjoy the build more than the ride. I usually get tired of something once it's done and sell it.
No offense to any of the bought category guys, but one reason I pretty much quit going to car shows, I ask the owner how he did something and most say, I didn't do it, I bought it like this.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=659205
"I love the smell of grinding metal"
Popcorn W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 02:15 PM   #27
Indian113

At Car Shows a few simple questions and you can tell " Built from Bought" but as long as they are KEEPING the Hobby Alive- I don't Give a SHxx!
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 02:23 PM   #28
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popcorn W View Post
I enjoy the build more than the ride. I usually get tired of something once it's done and sell it.
No offense to any of the bought category guys, but one reason I pretty much quit going to car shows, I ask the owner how he did something and most say, I didn't do it, I bought it like this.
So because someone cant get into the specifics of a part of his ride you are interested in it makes it not worth checking out anyway?

One thing I do appreciate is when someone is honest about the car or truck and doesn't try to take credit for the parts he didn't do.

But to be honest, I go close to no car shows anymore. I still love the cool rides, just don't feel like plodding around a fairgrounds all day.

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 03:04 PM   #29
mongocanfly
Post Whore

I enjoy building...not just trucks but whatever I need...most things I have around home/shop are things I've built from scratch...most of it I probably couldve bought it cheaper. .I just enjoy the challenge. .

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 04:01 PM   #30
special-K
Special Order

Me too. My life has always been about doing for myself as much as I can. To me that is what makes you rich, being self-sufficient. And because at this point I know what I can do, not that I'm not learning more, if I decide to pay someone to provide a service for me it doesn't mean squat. Got nothing to prove and just do what suits my needs without stepping on anyone's toes.

I'll be honest, I started out doing everything myself. Now, after all the years, I have friends with special skills that would be offended if I didn't have them do what they do so well. I was painting other people's cars 30-40 years ago. But I haven't painted one of my own in over twenty, that I can recall.

I think the ones who flaunt the built not bought thing are newbies that haven't settled down about the thing they discovered that others have been doing all along. To us it ain't nothing but a thing. Kinda like eating a hamburger. Which brings the question to mind, grille your own or place an order? I do both

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 12-09-2017 at 04:10 PM.
special-K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 07:09 PM   #31
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

I wish I could remember what I was going to say here.. but I don't exactly ,,so I will jot this down.. I like old cars and trucks,, I like listening to owners of old cars and trucks.. Especially if they have saved them from the crusher ,,or bought it from some one else .... from that point on it's all good ,, no matter what they tell me.. It just don't bother me no more . just like you guys and gals on here ,,what ever you have done or not done ,,I do not compare ,,,,and enjoy you all ,, Hey ! maybe I did remember,,
Old 12-09-2017, 09:07 PM   #32
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: Built not bought

The thing that I don't like is a guy who pay's to have whatever it is he has and wants to put down someone who has basicly the same thing but doesn't have the cash in it like the other guy.
It's all over the place not only vehicles but houses are what ever.
It's the attitude that gets me.

It's like the Hot Rod Power Tour

All these people want to put others down because they drive a brand new vehicle on the tour are have just a everyday driver type vehicle!
Who cares man drive it have fun and enjoy the ride with all the rest of the 6-7 thousand others.
Do what you can and have the rest done.

Like my 6.0 install, I could have done it myself because I had done the 305 EFI before it myself.
I choose not to because of space and time. I was working shift work 12hr shifts and didn't want my garage tied up all winter long and having to work on it everytime I had a day off.
I also had the cash to spare for it at the time.

I promise I want give you to much of a hard time if you don't do it all yourself!

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 11:00 PM   #33
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

N2TRUX had a rebuild thread on a square he named Scarlett. Your question reminded me of his thread because he refreshed the entire truck from the bottom up without blowing it completely apart all at once. Worth a look.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 11:21 PM   #34
davischevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
For me in my eyes, it is all about the build process. It's about learning new things weather it is you teaching someone or you teaching someone else. It's about keeping this hobby alive. Everyone can't do everything all the time and a lot of times it makes more sense to send out certain things. Not everyone can set up a suitable paint booth, not everyone has access to a welder or even 220. Again, it's about the build. Take something that is trashed and make it something that never was produced etc.

I did a 2000 F350 for a kid recently. It was a 14 month pain in the life project from Satan's den. I had who knows how many hours in the truck, let alone dealing with the owner. I built him a 550+hp 7.3, restored the under side of the truck, added an aftermarket fuel system, added stacks over the top of his dual tail pipes with electric cut outs, and more. He had the truck for 3 days and he brought it by. I saw the "Built not bought" stickers on the front windows. Instantly ticked me off. It was built alright, but not by him.

If you have the drive to learn and a want to have something you can step back and say I built this for me that's what will matter in the end.
Now that you have him out of the way, can I drop my diesel truck off. I will even have some stickers like this made.
Attached Images

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 11:28 PM   #35
Boog
laying low

"low cash garage". We'll do ya cheap.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 12:47 AM   #36
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

You can do it. I wasn't raised around the stuff, but I'm DYI guy for the most part. I hadn't even done a brake job, but at near 56 years, I'm currently doing a frame-off.

I won't do the paint and body work, but I'll know how to rebuild her. I observe every detail as I disassemble and keep very good notes. That takes more time than the disassembly itself. Kind of important if you ask me, especially for a beginner, because if you''re like me it will be near four years before the part is reassembled.

Unless you're cursed with un-rusted bolts (cough!), you're going to want to replace the hardware. A lot of guys use stainless. It's likely you won't find exact replacements, but close works (e.g., separate washer as opposed integrated washer) so long as it fits and suits the application, such as grade 2, 5 or 8.

Unless it's absolutely obvious, don't throw anything away. You might need the reference. Overall, organization is key. If you're green as I am/was, then it will pay dividends. Be prepared to spend a TON of time on this, regardless how deeply you go. I saw a shop recently "brag" about 2000 hours on a restoration. Granted they're pros. But my painter and I spent six man-hours just prepping under the bed today, and it's due another five hours easy. 2000 hours is nothing. I'll be into mine FAR more than that, and too many hours to guess.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 03:37 PM   #37
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Quote:
Originally Posted by davischevy View Post
Now that you have him out of the way, can I drop my diesel truck off. I will even have some stickers like this made.
Uh oh.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 07:07 PM   #38
davischevy

Quote:
Hey Diesel Wrencher, I posted the Corvette thinking it is yours. Am I wrong?

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
Old 12-12-2017, 08:18 PM   #39
jimmythompson1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBert View Post
To be very honest, if I had the money I would have no problem paying someone else to build me a truck to my specifications. I don't have the money therefor I do what I can and scrimp and save to have someone to do what I can't.

I started out like a few others on here that learned to turn wrenches buy keeping whatever I happened to have at the moment just to keep it on the road. Next month, at the young age of 53, I'll be going to a community college to learn welding and fabrication. My good Uncle Sam will be footing the bill for school and I'll learn everything I can while I'm there. This learning will be for myself at home and not to get a job. I figure it will save me money doing it myself, though I've already warned the wife I'll be spending more money on tools. Of course, she thinks I've got too many as it is.

Yes, I'd rather do things myself so I know it'll be done right but I wonder how nice it would be to drop of a vehicle at a shop and tell them, "Frame off resto with this, that and everything else on this list."
Good for you! I say do what makes you happy...not everyone is a sick pup like me...I would rather work in my garage or on my truck that eat when I'm hungry. Learn all you can, try it once if you hate some part of it then pay some one to do that part and work on the stuff that makes you smile. Everyone is different so do it YOUR way
jimmythompson1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 08:49 PM   #40
jeffahart

Two weekends ago I hopped in my truck to goto lunch. Halfway up the street the clutch went flat. I drove back home. The frame bolt on the clutch bar came loose. I wrestled, and cussed it off... that's when I found out it was loose not broken. I cursed it, cleaned it up and greased up. I cinched the bolt down. Got back in and drove to lunch with my wife.... and a busted knuckle and some grease under my nails.... life is good!

My wife and me, we've done OK. I can afford to drive whatever I want... I bought this old heap! It reminds me of me!

I am usually most critical of those I don't like anyway! Do as you please, you can't win... There will always be someone ready to shoot you down!

Now, let's talk about those short beds.... that's another good topic!

j
Old 12-12-2017, 09:38 PM   #41
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Quote:
Hey Diesel Wrencher, I posted the Corvette thinking it is yours. Am I wrong?
No sir, you are right. It is mine. I built it.

I meant the uh oh as to maybe you have caught a diesel bug now?
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 12-12-2017, 09:46 PM   #42
davischevy

Bug? I'm not sure I have a diesel bug, but I do like having my Duramax handy if I decide to tow.

Old 12-12-2017, 09:54 PM   #43
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
No sir, you are right. It is mine. I built it.

I meant the uh oh as to maybe you have caught a diesel bug now?
Ok, now I'm curious. What diesel is in the Vette and what's it run?....Details please. .

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 12:07 AM   #44
Killer Bee

I've been to two county fairs and one mayview picnic an' ain't never seen nothin' like that!

This C3 Corvette Is Powered by a 6BT Cummins Diesel Inline-Six

video at bottom of article, holly smokes! literally, LoL
Old 12-13-2017, 12:59 AM   #45
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Bee View Post
I've been to two county fairs and one mayview picnic an' ain't never seen nothin' like that!

This C3 Corvette Is Powered by a 6BT Cummins Diesel Inline-Six

video at bottom of article, holly smokes! literally, LoL
Wow Ryan, I'm very impressed!! Good going!!

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 02:46 AM   #46
YBNORML

A douche is a douche it doesn’t matter which side of the fence you are on. If you use your particular build style or ability to put down others, you’re a douche.

I see guys/gals like this all the time. Walking around the shows picking apart everyone else’s pride and joy. Some have built their vehicle, some bought them built and some have paid others to build their dream for them. This particular enthusiast ruin shows for those around them.

As far as I’m concerned, a cool ride is a cool ride. No matter who built it or who owns it. Just have fun. Period.

68’ GMC shortbox
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=794201

72' 2WD Blazer
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=425385

67' LongBox C-10
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=691845

InstaGram ybnorml67
YBNORML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 02:46 AM   #47
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Thanks guys. That vid is back from 2012. We had the car set up to hit it with nitrous. But, we never put the nitrous on it because we were fighting the transmission. We couldn't get it to stall like it was supposed to. It had a 3500 in it but wouldn't do 1k. Plus it had some old hard quick times on it. It has ran 11.43@132mph before. The trans will stall enough to make 12psi of boost now. I just haven't had time to fix some oil leaks on it to get it back to the track.
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 12-13-2017, 03:12 AM   #48
Killer Bee

^ clever piece of work, hat tip to you sir!

funny you mention it, first thing I noticed in the video was low stall but not surprised with that engine pouring on the torque so early.. but looks like you made the best of it!

had some hoosier quick time cheaters on my goat.. small et sacrifice to run em on the street to the track
Old 12-13-2017, 06:04 AM   #49
special-K
Special Order

I see a built not bought sticker and I look to see a built vehicle. I see a built not bought t-shirt and I expect to see a builder. It can be a built not bought machine no matter how it happened but you ain't no builder unless it was your hands that created it. That doesn't mean 100%, but I think everyone has an idea of just how much is required to claim you built it. And those guys are usually right up front about what was done with others because they did enough to have nothing to prove.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is online now   Reply With Quote