The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-09-2018, 02:52 PM   #1
carbonfumes

I6 292 Engine Build Questions

I'm sure this has been hashed over too many times, or someone will say put a LS motor in, I get that but, I really want to keep the I6 292 in my 65 longbed. I am needing to rebuild it as compression is really low, and its eating oil (rings shot), from everything I can tell it is 100% stock. I am keeping the Muncie 4 speed trans, and changing to 308 gears, the truck has a static 4-6 drop and is just a cruiser, and will never see a dragstrip. That being said I want some performance on this build, a torquey stop light to stop light machine, that also sounds good. I live in a colder climate with elevation ranging from 1000-6000 ft. above sea level, and drive it most days except in extreme cold weather.
I plan on doing Clifford Intake(heated), Clifford Headers, Holley 390 4 bbl, lump port heads, performance cam, HEI dist, electric fuel pump, aluminum radiator, and electric fan. Clifford and 12Bolt want HUGE money for performance pistons, I don't know if that's necessary? Opinion on Clifford vs Offenhauser parts? Any other ideas, or input on performance reliability on this build would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images

carbonfumes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 04:59 PM   #2
vin63
It's Better With Nitro

Re: I6 292 Engine Build Questions

Nice truck! I've run Clifford's headers in the past, and they were OK, but if I were to do it today, I would go with Langdon's cast exhaust manifolds. If you do go with the Clifford headers, be sure to get them ceramic metallic coated. Here are the Langdon's on my friend's 292 that I helped get together and running.

Is there something wrong with your radiator tanks? I would see about having the radiator recored with a 4-row high volume core. As far as pistons, I tend to spend extra there to get exactly what I want. I would wait to see what will be required after the block has been inspected.
Attached Images

Tubular front and rear suspension
Custom 6-piston front disc and 4-piston rear disc brakes
vin63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:06 AM   #3
carbonfumes

I love those finned valve covers, I plan on doing the same with the painted valleys, I plan on trying that VHT metallic(candy) engine paint. The radiator has quite a bit of fin deterioration from spilling or leaking in the past, and I think I want to switch to electric fans to clean up the engine a little bit. I had played with the idea of twin carbs but am so afraid of keeping them running correctly.
carbonfumes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 02:55 PM   #4
Heater63

Use the LP pistons, it will up your compression some cheaply. I am very happy with my dual phase Schnieder cam, Offy intake, Langdon headers and mini HEI.
Tom at 12 bolt is a good source, we helped fund him to dyno a bunch of different combos several years back.
Old 01-12-2018, 06:06 PM   #5
paintman

Not sure if you can get any Langdon headers anymore since he is now retired. Tom over on 12bolt.com may have bought his remaining stock. Careful with Clifford as some people have had trouble with them filling orders in the past. You will send them your money and not but they will never notify you if they actully have the intake in stock or not. I would call them first before you hit the Buy Now button!
I would check out Aussie Speed for a 292 intake they have alot of well made stuff. In fact I am in the process of doing a 225 slant six with there products.
Here's some eye candy to keep you motivated!
paintman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 06:19 PM   #6
paintman

Just went an read your post again. sounds like your build plan is very close to what my motor has done to it. As far money it all comes done to cubic dollars. Not sure what kind of prices you are getting from your motor builders, but by the time you get done buying all the bolt on parts and then getting the machine work done to the motor you will be in the 6k range. that is unless you can do alot of the assembly yourself. Hell I had over $770 just in Connecticut state sales tax. That's something alot of people don't budget into their build.
I can tell you this from my own motor build experience..........a 300hp 292 is one fun ride and it sounds bad ass! So much so I am in the process of taking off my Brockman Mellowtones for something (lets just say), a little more neighborhood friendly.
P.S. grow a thick skin and just ignore the V8 and LS guys you won't regret it.
paintman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 11:37 AM   #7
88Ironduke

Picking up a 292 this weekend for rebuilding. I'll be checking back into this thread.

My Build Thread: Project 72' Green
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=587932
88Ironduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 12:28 PM   #8
BenkeBird

I going to put a 292 in my -62 Panel and have two Offy-intakes, one for 4-barrel and one for 3 2-barrels but I have never heard anything, bad or good, about Offy intakes. Howe are they, good or ...
BenkeBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 12:26 AM   #9
'68OrangeSunshine

I have the Offy intake. I run Clifford Research long tube headers. I got these parts in 1978 when they were $65.26 and $93.50. The Clifford headers have lasted pretty well, but I live in the desert. After a 25 year run on my first built 292 L6, I had them bead blasted and hot tanked and sprayed w/ VHT Cast Iron Grey. I bought them off the shelf from Townsend's Racing Works in Tucson. The Holley 390 didn't make it past the first 250 000 miles. When I rebuilt the original 292 in 2005, I replaced it with an Edelbrock 1404 500 CFM aluminum four barrel.
If you join Inliners International [ www.inliners.org ] you can get a members discount from Ross Pistons on their forged pistons. I bought forged .030-over TRW pistons back in '77, but you can't get 'em anymore.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 01-19-2018 at 12:37 AM.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 03:20 PM   #10
Shaky
Six in a row makes it go...

I had a 250 in my '66 with the 390, Clifford intake, Clifford short headers that I made my own y-pipe for, HEI, and Clifford cam. It pulled pretty good once it got up on the cam. I think the engine builder blew the valve train geometry because I kept breaking rocker arms.
Attached Images

“The height of sophistication is simplicity." - Clare Boothe Luce
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 12:53 PM   #11
SparkyRnD

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=591690

We make bolt-in custom / conversion radiators for your application, right here in the USA using domestically sourced materials. Each radiator is built by hand and we use dual 1" thick cores, for a total core thickness of 2" (same overall thickness as a brass & copper 4-core).

We NEVER charge extra for engine swap port locations, steam ports or built-in transmission coolers.

We are a Gold Vendor and support this forum, and offer a forum-member discount ($25 off a radiator / $20 off fan & shroud package). Retail price is $450, and members of this forum get a discounted price of $425.

Hit me up with any questions or for a quote.