The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-11-2016, 11:55 AM   #1
Lugnutz65

Engine run stand and 230ci running.

I thought I'd share a success story. I bought a recently rebuilt (4K miles ago) 230ci from a guy who did a V8 swap. Looks brand new. I decided that building an engine run stand would be fun and useful. Fabrication took about 4 weeks of my free time and I used plans I bought on eBay. Fired that sucker up for the first time last night. WooHoo! Here's a video and some pics.
http://youtu.be/D6SZjZC-k_M
Attached Images

Want to know more about T5 transmissions? My website has a T5 Info Page and a Step by Step T5 rebuild.
Lugnutz65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 01:00 PM   #2
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.
Re: Engine run stand and 230ci running.

I've been keeping up with your posts since you bought the engine. Sounds good and a few adjustments to the carb, timing, maybe an HEI, it ought to purr like a kitten.

Awesome stand. I wouldn't mind building one like it if a 350 will go on it also. What plans did you get?
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 01:27 PM   #3
Lugnutz65

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68gmsee View Post
I've been keeping up with your posts since you bought the engine. Sounds good and a few adjustments to the carb, timing, maybe an HEI, it ought to purr like a kitten.

Awesome stand. I wouldn't mind building one like it if a 350 will go on it also. What plans did you get?
At work now but I'll post a link to the eBay plans and I'll also send you the designer's email in a PM. The run stand is actually designed for SBC and BBC too. He said i'm the first person he'd seen to put a L6 on the stand.
I will use an HEI and the rebuilt carb from my other engine. I have a Weber progressive 32/36 that I might try too. That's the main reason I built this stand. I personally own 3 inline engines that I need to test.

Want to know more about T5 transmissions? My website has a T5 Info Page and a Step by Step T5 rebuild.

Last edited by Lugnutz65; 01-11-2016 at 01:35 PM.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:07 PM   #4
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

That's awesome! Checked out the new video...sounds healthy! I am interested in the stand plans to.
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:28 PM   #5
Lugnutz65

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ's Chevy View Post
That's awesome! Checked out the new video...sounds healthy! I am interested in the stand plans to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68gmsee View Post

Thanks for the comments. It was fun to build, but also a lot of work. It will outlive me and I can let my friends use it.
HERE is a link to the plans on eBay. I had to make small modifications. You'll need a good welder. I like the telescoping legs that add stability. MOST of all I like that it stores in a vertical position so it takes up very little floor space when not in use. These pics might give you a feel for how much work is involved.

Sorry about the sideways pics but it has something to do with my new computer. Haven't figured it out yet.
Attached Images

Old 01-11-2016, 11:27 PM   #6
DD1

That's pretty cool! Nice job on the stand and getting the engine running. I really like the gauge panel you setup.

I just started a 350 engine that I had rebuilt 2 years ago, except mine is on the frame (no cab or anything). I think yours started up better than mine did; it took a few tries and correcting several mistakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=502964
DD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 11:37 PM   #7
Lugnutz65

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD1 View Post
That's pretty cool! Nice job on the stand and getting the engine running. I really like the gauge panel you setup.

I just started a 350 engine that I had rebuilt 2 years ago, except mine is on the frame (no cab or anything). I think yours started up better than mine did; it took a few tries and correcting several mistakes.
I mounted my engine in the frame and did what you did the first time. My truck is now a driver and I really don't want to swap engines without checking out things. PLUS, I have 2 more engines to test on the run stand. Possibly even a 3rd engine. It just made sense to build a run stand and it was a fun project with a well thought out design.
Attached Images

Old 01-13-2016, 11:32 PM   #8
DD1

How do you have the amperes gauge wired up? What are the terminals connecting to?
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=502964
DD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 12:17 AM   #9
Lugnutz65

Quote:
How do you have the amperes gauge wired up? What are the terminals connecting to?
The amperes gauge is not hooked up. I really don't intend to for this engine because I'm gonna use the alternator from another engine.

Old 01-14-2016, 09:25 AM   #10
Lugnutz65

Quote:
About the gauges. Since this was just a run stand that might sit around and not be used for months at a time, I decided to go cheap. I bought the Harbor Freight triple gauge set. It was $15 out the door with a coupon. I didn't want the amperes gauge but installed it anyway. The big tach was a donation from a friend.

The HF gauges are OK for the price. Mechanical oil pressure. Capillary tube for the water temp. Both seem to work fine for the purposes of a run stand. I want to add a throttle cable so that I can maintain a steady idle at certain RPMs if needed.

Old 01-14-2016, 12:06 PM   #11
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

Not trying to 'one-up' anyone but ... WHY no radiator or fuel system, battery....???

I built a 'break-in' stand to do engine breakin and testing (just WISH it had a pump on the back of it ) I mean without a fuel supply and pump,,,, radiator and cooling fan your pretty limited in how long you can run. Not AT ALL what you'd want if your were inclined to do a flat tappet motor.

Won't contaminate the thread with pictures but,, most of the 'material' to make the frame and casters were,, umm 'gathered up' from a something left in an alley,, and added some 1-1/4" tubing to support stuff,, slaped an old Mallory ignition box on it for giggles and to support whatever ignition happens to be used. But it can handle most any motor I want to test fire or break-in.

http://www.small-block-chevy.com/ima...83_Jan1_16.JPG

http://www.small-block-chevy.com/ima...kin_stand2.jpg

http://www.small-block-chevy.com/ima...kin_stand3.jpg

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 12:13 PM   #12
Lugnutz65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Not trying to 'one-up' anyone but ... WHY no radiator or fuel system, battery....???

I built a 'break-in' stand to do engine breakin and testing (just WISH it had a pump on the back of it ) I mean without a fuel supply and pump,,,, radiator and cooling fan your pretty limited in how long you can run. Not AT ALL what you'd want if your were inclined to do a flat tappet motor.

Won't contaminate the thread with pictures but,, most of the 'material' to make the frame and casters were,, umm 'gathered up' from a something left in an alley,, and added some 1-1/4" tubing to support stuff,, slaped an old Mallory ignition box on it for giggles and to support whatever ignition happens to be used. But it can handle most any motor I want to test fire or break-in.

http://www.small-block-chevy.com/ima...83_Jan1_16.JPG

http://www.small-block-chevy.com/ima...kin_stand2.jpg

http://www.small-block-chevy.com/ima...kin_stand3.jpg
I think you missed seeing the video in the first post. I have a radiator, battery and fuel tank. I'm gonna change to a different fuel tank next run. This stand is intended to be used for break ins as well as other testing. Check out the video.

Old 01-14-2016, 10:39 PM   #13
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

I definitely did skip over the video. YUP makes perfect sense now.

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote