The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork > Detailing

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-12-2011, 06:49 PM   #76
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

Re: Do's/Don'ts of Engine Cleaning (Tell us your experiences...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyballpeen View Post
Does simple green or purple power take off firewall markings? I am going to clean 40 years of oil off my engine bay and would like to keep the firewall markings
I tried to not spray on the firewall markings, but let's see if anyone has any experience with this...

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:07 PM   #77
oldblue1968chevy
Grandpa in the rustmobile...

I believe it does I took mine off

I wish I had a pic or something to put them back on, what did they stand for anyway?

Goose-1968 C10 355,9.32-1CR, Vortec Heads ,262 voodoo, 3.73:1 3OTT (HS ride/beater/farm truck)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=317684

Grams 53-1953 Chevrolet Belair
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post4327784

1969 Chevy C10 Shortbed 4.5/6?" Frame off resto
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=548136

1999 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
oldblue1968chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 02:14 PM   #78
theastronaut

Here's my tip, I found this one out through personal experience. After spending many hours detailing the engine compartment in my car, I decided I'd finish it off with a spray it of quick detailer and wipe it down with a microfiber towel to get the dust off from it's first drive since the engine swap. Well, I bought Quick Detailer and Spray on Wax in nearly identical bottles, and guess which one I grabbed? Yep, the Spray on Wax. Now I've got a ton of white specs all in the nooks and crevices that are unreachable. The engine was slightly warm so the wax dried pretty quickly before I could wipe it all off. So, check your bottles before you spray...
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:04 AM   #79
JBerno

So is it better to have the engine warm before applying the simple green (or anything else)? it seems like this should be the case but just want to confirm.

Thanks
Old 11-19-2012, 04:03 AM   #80
HybridK

I've got a power steering pump that spewed all over the place because it got over-filled. I'm not trying to show it or anything, but I would like to get the big stuff off to keep it from being an eye sore. Will it be possible to soak it in simple green for a while and pressure wash it off? I'm going to be commuting with this truck when I get home from asscrackistan and won't have the time to tear it apart. What are your thoughts?
Attached Images

Old 02-21-2013, 04:23 PM   #81
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcsbrat View Post
DUNNEZ this stuff is AWESOME!!!!! Its A CONCENTRATE and you use straight on or dilute with water for different applications. My favorite part is it smells like cherry and is non-toxic, like you could take a bid swig and not worry about a thing. I personally have used it to clean oil off a motor block, degrease a commercial used deepfryer, use to clean the greasy floor, ink out of clothing, food stains out of a carpet and to clean windows. I LOVE THIS STUFF. And its pretty cheap. Dont be afraid to haggle with them.

X2 this stuff is great,I tried this cleaner on jcsbrat recommendation and it is awesome. I'm cleaning a greasy engine with it now and it is working great. The best thing is it the smell. I can't stand the smell of Simple Green but this stuff is almost odorless .
dunnez.com
Posted via Mobile Device
Stickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:11 PM   #82
LEEVON

I have a cautionary tale. I had an engine out, on a stand. I degresed it pretty well, but it had aluminum heads and some paint flaking on the block. I decided to plug all of the exhaust and intake holes real well and lightly hit the trouble spots with the soda blaster. By the way, wal-mart plastic sacks make perfect plugs especially if you cram them in tight. The soda blaster did a nice job, took off some of the stubborn stuff and it came out real shiny. The problem came later when I started re-assembly. The first couple of accessory bolts wouldn't thread, then I started checking all of the bosses and most wouldn't thread. Turns out the soda went into holes, where there was still some moisture from cleaning and it turned hard as a rock. I had to chase many of the holes, and clean them out with a bottle brush. Still had issues and had to oil most of the bolts as well.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:05 AM   #83
midniteblues

If you have belt squeal, you can very carefully take a scotchbrite pad and lightly hold it to the inside of the belt while the engine is running. I can not stress the importance of being careful doing this so you dont get your hand caught in the pulleys/and/or mechanical fan. All your tring to do is deglaze the belt some. It might just save you from buying new belts if the old ones are still decent.[/QUOTE]

this is crazy!dont ever stick your fingers in/on a running belt unless you dont want them!
'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:37 AM   #84
ls1nova71

Anybody have any ideas on how to make a cast aluminum alternator look nice again? My last truck I actually bought a reman alternator just so it would look nice, worked, but not really the cheapest route.

5.3 swap into my RUSTY '71 C10
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...71-c-10-a.html
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:51 AM   #85
rcrahn

Nothing better than steam for cleaning anything with caked on grease and oil. Find a steam cleaner near you and pay them (probably $40 but worth it) to do the engine compartment top to bottom. You'll be amazed....
rcrahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:18 AM   #86
richards72chevy

What do you guys think about pressure washing an engine thats out and may not be started for awhile?Exhaust manifolds intake carb distrubitor is all there.Im just concerened about water getting in to the cylinder walls and pistons and causing damage.Should i just wait until its in and started?
richards72chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:42 AM   #87
71K20chevy

When pressure washing an engine, it really is best to do bare block-heads instead of with everything on it, it'd probably be fine if you sealed it off plenty good but I personally wouldn't try it.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:42 PM   #88
TH3JUICEMAN

When soaking in Simple Green and then power washing what parts in the bay should be covered or not exposed to high pressure water?
Posted via Mobile Device
TH3JUICEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 10:05 PM   #89
mpierce9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TH3JUICEMAN View Post
When soaking in Simple Green and then power washing what parts in the bay should be covered or not exposed to high pressure water?
Posted via Mobile Device
Great question here. I'd like to take my truck to one of those DIY car wash places, remove the air cleaner, cover the carburetor with a plastic bag and spray that sucker off real good... Is this a bad idea? Could this negatively impact the engine?

If this is a reasonable approach, I'd like to spray on some Purple power and let it soak in beforehand.

Thoughts?
mpierce9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 02:48 AM   #90
Rich 5150 69

Lower shock mounts for my `64 c-10 after sitting in white vinegar for four days.
Attached Images

`68 Dart 370/904/323 suregrip
Rich 5150 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 07:51 AM   #91
71K20chevy

Well that's impressive! Thanks for the tip!
Old 08-09-2014, 02:13 PM   #92
thelawdoc

Vinegar is really great for rust removal. Anytime I see it on sale, I buy it like there's no tomorrow. It is not an instant cleaner by any means, but it is damn cheap. Sometimes, I toss a part into the bucket and leave it for weeks until I get back to it.
thelawdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 03:23 PM   #93
Senorx

I'm degreasing my engine for the first time this coming Monday. Anymore words of wisdom for a newbie?
Senorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 03:36 PM   #94
thelawdoc

Senorx, wear gloves. My fingerprint grooves and nails were black for a long time after I once cleaned an engine. No amount of scrubbing them got me through inspection by my old lady. The gloves might save you from a few nights on the living room couch.
Old 08-09-2014, 03:39 PM   #95
Senorx

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelawdoc View Post
Senorx, wear gloves. My fingerprint grooves and nails were black for a long time after I once cleaned an engine. No amount of scrubbing them got me through inspection by my old lady. The gloves might save you from a few nights on the living room couch.
Good to know. I have a box of latex gloves.
Senorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 02:40 PM   #96
greystoke

what do you guys recommend for cleaning LS motors? Do these require special handling?

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=305629
greystoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 02:48 PM   #97
thelawdoc

Graystoke, the only engine I have a clue about is my 250 I6. In general, I cover the distributor, coil, carb, air cleaner, and other electrical areas, and I use brushes and a bucket of water. I do not pressure wash the engine bay. It all cleans up pretty nicely and it is really no big chore. Take your lazy time. Have a look at what you are doing. Then use smaller brushes or rags to clean any areas that you did not get to with the larger brush. I suppose more experienced guys will use a hose, but I don't mind the slower, hand cleaning, method.
Old 11-15-2014, 02:09 PM   #98
NJ C10 Guy

Stupid question here: if I take my time and mask off what needs to be masked off, would it be possible to paint my engine without removing it? It's not too messy under the hood, but the motor has paint flaking/chipping and it drives me crazy. I'd like to do a nice detail of everything, but it's pretty worthless if my engine looks like crap.
NJ C10 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 02:23 PM   #99
thelawdoc

NJc10Guy, My '66 c10 250 has room for a bed under the hood and I suppose the engine could be painted without removing it. Obviously, you are not going to get the paint job you would get if the engine were removed. I have read over and over again that the I6 250 is no big deal to take out. It seems to me that you would be spending a lot of time doing the masking that you mentioned, plus you might want to remove some accessories, hoses, etc. Look, every guy does his own paint job. You can spend a day painting or you can spend a week, and I am sure there are guys who will spend a month to get the result that they want. You get what you sow, I would say. Anyway, do what you gives you joy and enjoy what you did.
Old 11-15-2014, 03:50 PM   #100
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ C10 Guy View Post
Stupid question here: if I take my time and mask off what needs to be masked off, would it be possible to paint my engine without removing it? It's not too messy under the hood, but the motor has paint flaking/chipping and it drives me crazy. I'd like to do a nice detail of everything, but it's pretty worthless if my engine looks like crap.
Simple answer is yes. However cover the whole vehicle, the fumes carries small amounts of paint in them and it will settle everywhere you do not want it.