The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork > Detailing

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-03-2009, 07:21 PM   #26
BusinessProfessor

Re: What do you use on your windows?

I remember Glass Wax. Works great on chrome, also!
Old 09-04-2009, 11:36 PM   #27
AllenKarber

Another vote here for Invisible Glass! It makes for a great rain repellant as well.

I also use detail sprays/spray sealants pretty regularly as well.
AllenKarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 11:06 PM   #28
firedog

my ex mother in law gave me a cloth with instructions it looks like a heavy duty papertowel but it has intructions to not to use any cleaner i use a squirt bottle with water and the cloth - - it is unbelievalble it works with no streaks on chrome and everything streakfree.biz is on the instructions
Tach/tilt/buddy buckets
Bagged/18" Wheels
Black on Black

Project "Pandemic" the Farm Rat
1927 Chevy Capitol Truck Rat rod
'30 Model A Frame
Dual Carb 5.3 LS
http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=804162

2007 GMC 4 DOOR 2WD
BUILT 5.3 STAGE 3 CAM 93 TUNE
LIFTED 22X12 WHEELS 33" TIRES

2023 Jeep RENEGADE
Wifes ride
firedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 11:19 PM   #29
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

Sounds like an interesting product... I'll have to check that out this weekend.

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 11:41 AM   #30
moharleyrider

I put windshield washer fluid in a spray bottle and use a micro fiber towel, works great and its cheap.
moharleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:14 AM   #31
rwolf9653
more ideas than money

I am really suprised at all of the people that like invisible glass! Maybe I am not doing something right but I always felt that it left a haze behind, no streaks, just a light haze.

I am currently using windex auto glass cleaner, but I am not real happy with that either. It is ok.

1948 Chevy 3100 5 window
1966 Chevy C30 Dually
1967 Chevy K10
1972 Chevy K20
1972 Chevy C10
1972 Chevy K5 Blazer
1987 Chevy V10
2003 Chevy Suburban
rwolf9653 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:41 AM   #32
Thealien

I bought some invisible glass in the aerosol can after reading this thread. I must say I am impressed. I have never been able to clean glass without streaks! Until now.
Thealien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 10:23 AM   #33
ChaStur

To the guys using news papers.. Ever have a paper route? Ink is left all over whatever was "cleaned"

Try coffee filters. You won't regret them
ChaStur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 11:09 AM   #34
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

firdt off let me say I suck at cleaning glass seems I can nevr get it streak free butfor every problem there is a solutoin and mine is easy...wash window ( or in my case more the dirt around then wipe it with an old school chalkboard eraser streaks are gone...lately I have been precleaing with 0000 steel wool and it gets water spots out pretty easy
Hottrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:16 AM   #35
kwilson512

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaStur View Post
To the guys using news papers.. Ever have a paper route? Ink is left all over whatever was "cleaned"

Try coffee filters. You won't regret them
+1 ....I use coffee filters and windex or Cinch
kwilson512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 02:43 PM   #36
JWall
Frequent Flyer

Invisible Glass (aerosol) & the blue "shop" paper towels or Viva brand paper towels.
Both those paper towels are more like rags and dont leave behind the white fuzz like cheap paper towels.
JWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 12:22 AM   #37
RBC67

A friend of mine turned me on to Meguiar's #6 cleaner wax. I even use it on the house windows.
67 RS/SS G-Machine

http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/RBC67
RBC67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 01:59 AM   #38
California gold 68

Having owned a detail business I used many products over the years. My best success was using Meguiar's concentrated glass cleaner. I bought it by the gallon. The main problem people face with cleaning windows is streaking. The solution is go easy on the concentrate when mixing with water. I found that a 10:1 ratio works best but, you'll have to experiment. One more thing... use two towels, one for initial wiping and one for drying. Micro fiber is your best bet. Finally, you can find this cleaner in automotive paint stores, they generally have detail supplies. It mixes to a blue color and actually smells good.

Last edited by California gold 68; 02-22-2010 at 02:04 AM.
California gold 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:49 AM   #39
70c/10barebone

Quote:
Originally Posted by California gold 68 View Post
One more thing... use two towels, one for initial wiping and one for drying. Micro fiber is your best bet.
^^^X2

Use which ever cleaner you like but next time try this two towel method. One presprayed with cleaner and the other to buff dry. If you still have streaks chances are your microfiber towels have residual soap/polish/wax left from the laundry. Sometimes you need to double rinse MF's with a couple tablespoons of vinegar in the softener cup.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:51 PM   #40
ed2552

I use Invisible Glass and Kimberly Clark Blue Shop towels, and #0000 Steel wool if there's spots or bugs. Clay bars work well too. No streaks, and I agree with the two towel method. I end up with about 6 towels used after windows on my car, at least 4 on the 67.
'65 C60 292, 4 spd, 2 spd Rearend, 15' Grain Box, MINT!
09 Yukon Denali 82k Miles 6.2L/6A
ed2552 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 01:10 AM   #41
tasian

alright so i wouldn't say im a car detailer in anyway but i was a professional house window cleaner and when you clean 60+ windows inside and out everyday in the cali heat you learn a few things so for me theres only one way to really clean the windows on my vehicle it might take a little time but i've never been out done

first off you need the right tools to get it done the best you can with as little work
you want to start with a good squeegee and im not talking about the kind they have at the gas station(gonna need a small one for the windshield since it has a curve to it)

microfiber towels work the best but i prefer the ones you get at janitorial supplie stores as they have towels that are made tighter then the ones you say use for cleaning your paint etc they have a lot less lint and also pick and hold water/soup up better

other then that one of the few things most people don't know is steel wool (you can use up to a 00 grade just fine but best to use 0000 as others said but i tend to go with 000)it works great to get rid of any streaks left over

and then as far as the cleaner at the janitorial stores they have some stuff that is alright but what i have found to work the best is none other then dish soup (dawn is my fav) i also like to mix it pretty strong because when it comes down to it the stronger you mix it the more its going to streak right? Wrong(to a point to much isn't good) what is left over when you are done is going to show and there shouldn't be anything left over when you are done

so i just use a wet towel(or a shammie for the people that have them) scrub it down good then go ahead and squeegee it (and as long as you have a good squeegee and wipe the edge witch is going to make contact with the dry area of the window it should 98% never leave a streak) from there i take a towel wipe the edges down making sure to switch to a dry part of the towel atleast for each side then just use some steel wool for anything that was missed(bug marks little streaks) and it should be a perfect window

also while the window is wet steel wool works great to take off bug guts and also take off surface water spots and alot of it is really just taking your time with the steel wool getting down looking at it from more then one point of view so you can see all of the streaks that will show up later

wow sorry if i got a little carryed away on that one as you can see i can get a little crazy about my windows

Last edited by tasian; 03-23-2010 at 01:14 AM.
tasian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:36 AM   #42
60ratrod
yes, i do

windex and paper towels for this guy on the inside of the windows. its hard to get them streak free since i'm a smoker. but on the outside of the windows i usually use the squeegy and solution and a paper towel to wipe off the rubber blade. i'm so good at that i could be making bank as a bum on a street corner

-60 Chevy C10, dead 350/good th350 combo, sitting on a 76 c10 blazer frame, built from 11 different vehicles "the abomination"
-07 gmt900 silverado 1500 lt xcab z71, granite blue
-81 suzuki gs650g "shelah"- current project
-81 kz1000m1 csr "sarge" -next project (just beautification)
-07 kawasaki vulcan classic vn900
60ratrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 09:13 PM   #43
rusty76

Okay I'm going to drag up a dead dog here. No sense in starting a new one. I've got a problem with my wife's windshield. Mostly it only happens when it rains but when it does happen I can hardly see out of it for the terrible streaking. I thought at first it was the wipers. I bought a decent set but that didn't help. Then I cleaned the poo out of it and still no dice. I've tried several products and done several things to change the out come with very little luck. It streaks so bad that when the rain drops hit it is clearer to look out the rain drops than through the windshield. Her car is an '04 Kia Rio. I have no idea what to do about it. I've got some more ideas but if any of you fellas may have some thoughts on it please let me know. Thanks.
My build thread
Crossmembers CC
rusty76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 10:27 AM   #44
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty76 View Post
Okay I'm going to drag up a dead dog here. No sense in starting a new one. I've got a problem with my wife's windshield. Mostly it only happens when it rains but when it does happen I can hardly see out of it for the terrible streaking. I thought at first it was the wipers. I bought a decent set but that didn't help. Then I cleaned the poo out of it and still no dice. I've tried several products and done several things to change the out come with very little luck. It streaks so bad that when the rain drops hit it is clearer to look out the rain drops than through the windshield. Her car is an '04 Kia Rio. I have no idea what to do about it. I've got some more ideas but if any of you fellas may have some thoughts on it please let me know. Thanks.
So, what products have you put on your windshield? I have my windshields treated with a product called "Aquapel", which is a water repellant. You can use Rain-X as a good repellant. It seems to work for me. The only difference with using a repellant, it that you have to wipe the glass one last time, when you clean it to remove any smudges.
Old 12-10-2014, 07:33 PM   #45
rusty76

I've used windex, Rain X cleaner and soap and water. I've had very little luck over coming this problem. It looks like a haze almost or streaks that just happen when it rains, never any other time. It's on the outside of the windshield. I can get it super clean and treat it with regular rain x and still it won't make a difference. It kinda reminds me of some sort of oil on water almost. It's the darndest thing. I've got to do something about it before I let the boy drive it at night. I'm still searching. I've used Rain X on the windshield before with decent luck and never had problems on other cars but this car......it's a different animal. Thanks for the help.
My build thread
Crossmembers CC
Old 12-10-2014, 08:01 PM   #46
cwii

Sorry I did not read this entire thread but as previously stated at least two towels. make sure the glass is cool and out of the sun
cwii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 09:44 PM   #47
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

You could try tpo wipe down the glass with a lacquer thinner, to see if you can remove any coating that may be giving you problems. Another approach would be to buff the glass with a paint polishing agent like 3M Finnessee-It.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:15 PM   #48
rusty76

I was wondering about using something like lacquer thinner or mineral spirits also. But worried I'd do more damage than good. Do you think mineral spirits would be okay? I have no idea really. It just buffalos me. I can clean the pee out of this thing and still the same results, but if something like lacquer thinner will do the job I'm up to the challenge. I also wondered about just using a very fine steel wool and water as well. Maybe that would help? 3M Finnessee-It is it sold in parts stores? Thanks for all the help I know I must sold like a little kid but this blooming windshield has bugged the pee out of me for a while. I've tried the two towel method out of the sun deal and no dice.......

Thanks again.
My build thread
Crossmembers CC
Old 12-11-2014, 07:56 PM   #49
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty76 View Post
I was wondering about using something like lacquer thinner or mineral spirits also. But worried I'd do more damage than good. Do you think mineral spirits would be okay? I have no idea really. It just buffalos me. I can clean the pee out of this thing and still the same results, but if something like lacquer thinner will do the job I'm up to the challenge. I also wondered about just using a very fine steel wool and water as well. Maybe that would help? 3M Finnessee-It is it sold in parts stores? Thanks for all the help I know I must sold like a little kid but this blooming windshield has bugged the pee out of me for a while. I've tried the two towel method out of the sun deal and no dice.......

Thanks again.
First of all, what you are cleaning is glass, not plastic or paint. Keep the stuff off of the plastic trim pieces and wipe the glass down several times. I have done it many times in my past. As for a buffing compou8nd, I would go to a local body shop and get something from them.
Old 12-11-2014, 09:13 PM   #50
rusty76

Okadoke I'll give it a whirl. Thanks.
My build thread
Crossmembers CC