The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-14-2012, 01:30 PM   #151
wyattglock

Re: 89 Crew Cab resurrection.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by owner 84 View Post
Did you get the hand brake canceled or what?
Yes, I took the ebrake and cable off the truck completely. Turns out it was seized up completely.
Posted via Mobile Device
wyattglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:44 PM   #152
wyattglock

Ordered a set of power mirrors for a 90-91 Suburban today off ebay. Doesn't have bracing or wiring with them, but I couldn't pass on the deal. I will keep trying to find or make the wiring harness, the bracing shouldn't be to hard to fabricate.
I also managed to fold the passenger side front door up by scraping the mirror on the garage door frame as I was tweaking the timing on my new distributor.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-16-2012, 06:04 PM   #153
rs72z

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyattglock View Post
Ordered a set of power mirrors for a 90-91 Suburban today off ebay. Doesn't have bracing or wiring with them, but I couldn't pass on the deal. I will keep trying to find or make the wiring harness, the bracing shouldn't be to hard to fabricate.
I also managed to fold the passenger side front door up by scraping the mirror on the garage door frame as I was tweaking the timing on my new distributor.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
You will like the mirrors or at least i do.
Man that sucks about your door.

78 ccsb dually
4l60e
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=491551
rs72z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:16 PM   #154
wyattglock

I am hoping with some time spent on bodywork that I can straighten out the door. But we will see.
As for the mirrors, once I figure out the wiring harness and switch combo, I think it will be pretty cool.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-20-2012, 03:31 PM   #155
rs72z

I recieved the spacers for my disc brackets today from DIY4x4. Now that's some good customer service.

78 ccsb dually
4l60e
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=491551
rs72z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:32 AM   #156
wyattglock

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs72z View Post
I recieved the spacers for my disc brackets today from DIY4x4. Now that's some good customer service.
I agree with you about his level of service. I honestly forget about it until you posted this. I am going to get in touch with him again and see if he can get me my spacers also.

So far, I haven't had any complaints about my brakes. The truck is still stopping better than ever, and handles loads just fine.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:07 PM   #157
wyattglock

Today I got the exhaust ran out over the rear axle. Really made a difference on the noise level in the truck. Still has a good tone, but is quiet enough to hear my not yet upgraded stereo.
Last Tuesday, I got the rear diff cover swapped out. I also changed the fluid to Amsoil 80w-90. Haven't noticed a mileage difference, but then I have been pulling a trailer constantly since Wednesday.
I still need to do some tweaking to the exhaust. I am kind of learning and piecing together as I go. I will order some u or j bends and weld those in sometime in the near future. But for now, if I don't load the truck down to heavy, what I have will work.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:09 AM   #158
wyattglock

Been busy over the last few months so I haven't had a lot of time to work on the truck. We hauled the camper about 75 miles over the weekend of June 23/24. Went to the Indianapolis airshow for the weekend. On the way down I decided to pull over and check things after 30 miles. Found that the passenger side valve cover was blowing oil out the corner of it. At least I had prepared and brought a few extra quarts of oil with me, so I topped the level off and kept going. We stopped 2 more times in the last 45 miles, and there was no significant oil loss. But there was enough of a mist to coat the passenger side of the engine compartment and blow a light mist down the length of the camper.
On the way home, I decided to switch tanks since the sending unit in the passenger side was on the fritz. Great time to have the other fuel pump die! So when I got home I ordered 2 AC Delco fuel pumps and a set of GM Performance Parts valve covers with new gaskets.
Skip to today, I got the valve covers on. They look great and fit perfect. I was worried about the clearance of the driver's side cover to the rear a/c bracket, turns out that has plenty of room. I also replaced the passenger side sending unit and installed the Delco pump. After a couple hours of sleep I am going to do the same to the driver's side. This Thursday we are going to roll out again and camp in North Central Indiana. Definitely need the time off and can't wait to get there!
Old 08-16-2012, 02:02 PM   #159
wyattglock

Got the mirrors finished up today! I have been working on the dent in the passenger door as I go, it is much improved but by no means done. The mirrors went on great. I fabricated some backing plates from 2" angle and 3/16" plate, then I drilled and tapped them for 1/4"-20 bolts. Some locking washers and all was well. The angle provides enough stiffness that I did not need to come up with the stock style of mounting. That is a plate on the top two bolts, and a bar that is threaded on both ends that goes from the bottom bolt to the inner door shell. The mirrors do not flex or shake as I drive, so I am fine with how they turned out.
I ended up getting a good deal on a lightly used Miller 140 welder on Craigslist. so I have been using it quite a bit to weld up the holes in the doors from the old mirrors. It has been very handy fabbing up brackets and plates for the truck. Never knew how much I needed a welder until I borrowed one!
Attached Images

Old 03-07-2013, 05:39 PM   #160
scanner7

I have an original 1989 chevy crew cab dually 454cu in. I am starting the restoration process. I have two questions on your restoration. When you replaced the fuel tank did you have to remove the bed? I have a fifth wheel hitch in mine and would like to avoid having to remove it. Also did you consider installing the advertised Dorman 34 gal. tank?
Tremendous job you have done on your dually
scanner7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:25 PM   #161
wyattglock

Thanks! She is still a work in progress, but she is much better than when I boughther! I did think about switching the tank to a rear mounted one. But I had already bought new sending units and all the switch gear to get the dual tanks working, so I stayed with that for now. When I replaced the tanks, I had to go under the truck and drop them. It wasn't bad with the running boards off. But make surE your cab mounts are good before you do it. Otherwise, like mine, the body can interfere with the tank going back in correctly.
I am ordering a new distributor, wires, and coil from performance ignition tomorrow as my truck has killed another dizzy off. I am also going to work on the wiring this spring and straighten that out.
Good luck with your truck! Feel free to ask me anything, I will do my best to answer you with what I know.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-12-2013, 07:30 AM   #162
odee

How do you like the small mirrors? Can you see around the fenders good with them? Will the wing windows still work good? Thanks.
odee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:19 PM   #163
wyattglock

I like the mirrors a lot. For normal driving I don't have any issues with the visibility. The vents don't open anymore because I moved the mirrors forward to the center of the vent windows. I am considering doing the one piece glass conversion, so it isn't a big deal to me. My only issue is when I am towing my camper the slip on mirrors don't like the shape of the aftermarket mirrors. So I am going to have to adapt those a little. In all, I really like how clean the lines on the truck are with the small mirrors.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-20-2013, 09:36 AM   #164
wyattglock

I got new toys yesterday! Bought a new distributor from Performance Distributors, along with a matching coil and plug wires. If I don't freeze today, I am going to try and get them installed and timed.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:44 AM   #165
wyattglock

The weather warmed up enough last Friday for me to get my distributor installed. Made a big difference! I am now convinced that under the header wires are the only way to fly with a big block. Maybe this time the boots won't burn through next to the primary tubes.
I started reworking some of the exhaust issues Saturday. Correct size collectors, rewelding some joints, basically applying what I have learned to what I didn't know.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:59 PM   #166
wyattglock

I got the timing tweaked in after running it a little, had it to advanced. Runs great now. I fabbed up a bracket for the back of the alternator since I had removed the smog pump bracket. Basically used a piece of 3/8" all thread and welded some tabs to the brackets I had already. Then I used the all thread to pull the back of the alternator toward the center of the engine so the pulley wasn't in a bind. Haven't had a chance to drive it yet, need to replace the coolant return line from the intake to the water pump before I do. Hopefully it makes a difference on the life of the bearings.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:24 AM   #167
squaredaway

Read through the entire thread today. Great job with the truck. Glad everyone in the family is well now! There is a lot of good information here. You know your stuff!
squaredaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:18 AM   #168
wyattglock

Thanks for the way to flattering compliment, squaredaway! I have learned a lot from this site, and a lot of other good friends along the way. Working in the engine shop I am at has also greatly helped my knowledge base out.
The family is doing much better now. We are at a new normal with my daughter, so that is good. Hopefully she is developing past some of the issues she has had, only time will tell.
If the rain holds off today, I will post a pic of the bracket I made yesterday.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-31-2013, 03:23 PM   #169
wyattglock

Posted via Mobile DeviceHere are the pics of the bracket I made for the back of the alternator. I don't have the all thread cut to the length I want yet, but will get that tomorrow. I reused the back brace for the alternator that was stock by welding a tab to it. Then welded a tab onto the back of the main bracket for the alternator. Nothing fancy, but very functional to put the alternator pulley in the same plane as the rest of the pulleys.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 06-20-2013, 08:08 PM   #170
Neitzertjohn

Nice looking photos , Thanks for the info Neal !!
Neitzertjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 11:49 AM   #171
Gordonr1973
Home Built '87

That's a good idea for the alternator bracket!

1998 White Chev ext cab 2WD (Summer Project) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=408424
1987 Chev Silverado SWB (Winter Project Rebuild) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=424833
Truck Club http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=466969
Gordonr1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:30 PM   #172
wyattglock

Here is the post I never wanted to make. My wife and I started a reclaimed wood business out of our house last year. As a result, I no longer have the garage to work on my truck. I, like many others, had a rough year with the job last year also. Due to the lack of funds, the truck started to get away from me a little. My wife and I talked many times about possible scenarios to keep my truck, but we just couldn't come to grips with the cost and time involved when we have so many other things going on. So last week, I bought another truck. It is a 2002 Chevy 1500hd crew cab 4wd. The few things that need done to it can be done on the driveway in a couple of hours. I still have the black truck, and for the next month or two, a friend said I could park it at his place. I am really wanting to keep it, but at this point I am not sure it can happen. If I had a place to pull it in and tear it apart to fix the body and bring it up to the level I want it at, I would keep it for sure. The way things are working out right now are just not in favor of that. We will decide over the next few weeks if it will be a paring out or selling whole situation. I really enjoy this site, lots of good people and great info. I will be visiting this side of the page, as well as going to the newer trucks page. Thanks to everyone who has helped along the way!