The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-12-2016, 02:18 PM   #1
KSTHANE

Adding power steering to an '84 C10

I have another thread on here asking about a wheel/tire combo which I have made progress on going forward with. However, my truck does not have power steering and I would like to add it. I've been told it's "easy" by a guy that works on trucks but I have my doubts.

Does anyone have thoughts on how big a project that would be, and how would you go about acquiring the parts to do it?
KSTHANE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 03:39 PM   #2
Qwk

Re: Adding power steering to an '84 C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSTHANE View Post
I have another thread on here asking about a wheel/tire combo which I have made progress on going forward with. However, my truck does not have power steering and I would like to add it. I've been told it's "easy" by a guy that works on trucks but I have my doubts.

Does anyone have thoughts on how big a project that would be, and how would you go about acquiring the parts to do it?
I converted my to PS and it really is easy. I bought a new/reman steering box and arm from Rock auto and it bolts right back in place.
Now with the PS reservoir you will also need to get the brackets along with some new lines.
But nothing is hard about the swap.

Old 10-12-2016, 03:42 PM   #3
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwk View Post
I converted my to PS and it really is easy. I bought a new/reman steering box and arm from Rock auto and it bolts right back in place.
Now with the PS reservoir you will also need to get the brackets along with some new lines.
you may have to change the pulley on the damper wheel to accommodate the extra pulley. it is not hard and these parts should be available on ebay, craigslist and or the local junkyard

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 11:18 AM   #4
barry1982

I have added power steering to a few trucks over the years. In my opinion, the easiest/cheapest way to go is to strip all of the components off of a junk yard truck. Make sure your "donor" truck has the same engine as yours , and you should be good to go. All of the parts will bolt up.
barry1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 12:06 PM   #5
KSTHANE

I have looked at the vehicle inventory of all of the local junkyards around me and don't find my model in any of their yards. I'm not experienced enough to know which other years of my truck, or other models of my truck share my exact engine. I have the 6 cylinder RWD from 1984.

Edit: I think I'll just order the power steering components off of RockAuto as mentioned above. Thanks for those pics, by the way. I see a power steering pump and power steering pitman arm on there for my year. Am I correct in assuming that I'll basically need to buy every other component that is labeled power steering on their website, except for the repair kits? These are all the components listed outside of the two parts previously mentioned(gear and arm):

Power Steering Cooler
Power Steering Cooler Mount
Power Steering Filter
Power Steering Hydraulic Filter (not sure what the diff is b/w this and the one above)
Power Steering pressure hose
Power Steering Pump
Power Steering Reservoir cap
Power Steering Return Hose
Power Steering Return Line End Fitting

Last edited by KSTHANE; 10-13-2016 at 12:13 PM.
Old 10-13-2016, 06:39 PM   #6
DieselSJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwk View Post
How is the quality of the RockAuto box? I haven't had good luck with the chain auto parts stuff - just as much slop as the box I want to replace.
DieselSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 10:19 AM   #7
Qwk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselSJ View Post
How is the quality of the RockAuto box? I haven't had good luck with the chain auto parts stuff - just as much slop as the box I want to replace.
It was an GM unit. RA had the best price on it.
Old 10-14-2016, 08:47 PM   #8
100%Chevy

For a 250,I-6(non california smog engine),you don't need all that parts list,just the steering gear box and pitman arm.The rest you will need is I/6 specific!
For the six,there is a bracket that mounts the pump and also the alternator as a unit.There are a few variations on this set-up because of the differences in the head from year to year.So,get the parts for your exact year!This is the set that people are always looking for on the parts board!
Once you find the right set-up,it's not very hard to do the job.
I've done it to my 78,as well as factory a/c.
Mike.
100%Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 12:19 PM   #9
barry1982

I agree you do not need most of the parts on the list you got from RA. Even the new pump will probably come without the bracket(s) you need to mount it on your truck. Unfortunately for you, most of the pickups in the mid eighties came with small block V-8's. You will have a lot harder time finding a donor with an inline 6, but they are around. Expand you search. Some of the auto wreckers have a computer system that they can use to search inventory at other wreckers in your area.
Old 10-15-2016, 03:50 PM   #10
KSTHANE

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry1982 View Post
I agree you do not need most of the parts on the list you got from RA. Even the new pump will probably come without the bracket(s) you need to mount it on your truck. Unfortunately for you, most of the pickups in the mid eighties came with small block V-8's. You will have a lot harder time finding a donor with an inline 6, but they are around. Expand you search. Some of the auto wreckers have a computer system that they can use to search inventory at other wreckers in your area.
Nice to know I wont need to buy that whole parts list. So in the pic I attached, I'll remove that manual box and swap with a power box, and then down below I'll swap an arm? Are you saying that I don't need to buy the pump b/c I already have one by my alternator or that I DO still need to buy that along with the proper mounting bracket. I guess i'd be surprised if I only have to buy two parts for this. I thought the pump sent fluid to the gearbox and then back?

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-16-2016, 02:17 AM   #11
DieselSJ

You will need the box, pump, mounting brackets for pump (possibly new pulleys and belt) and pressure and return lines. You don't need the cooler or brackets or filters that you have listed.
DieselSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 09:50 AM   #12
barry1982

If your truck never came with P/S, you will not have a P/S pump on your engine. as DieselSJ said, you will also need the crank shaft pulleys off of a truck with P/S to accommodate the extra v-belt you need to drive your P/S pump. In my area, there seemed to be more trucks with 6 cylinders in the mid 70's than the mid 80's. You could use one of these as a "donor". Like I said earlier, they are no where near a common as a truck with a small block V8, but still a few around. Another factor is a lot of the trucks with 6 cylinders were "plain jane's".....and never came with P/S or P/B. I had a 74 and a 76.
I ended up converting both to V-8's , and installed P/S at that time.
Old 10-16-2016, 09:46 PM   #13
Gmc.guy

I have some of the parts to swap to power steering on a 250 left over I have the bracket that mounts the alternator and pump but not the upper bracket. and the water pump pulley. The balancer has the pulley grooves cast in bad they are further apart for the power steering set up than the manual. I don't have the top bracket for the pump, I used it on another truck and can take pictures for you to show what it looks like. If you can get the whole setup out of a 250 truck or van from 73-8? Lots of vans and trucks had the setup. I have 3 250's I can post pics tomorrow
Old 10-16-2016, 09:47 PM   #14
Gmc.guy

Note- the steering box is different to a van, but the pump and brackets will work
Old 10-19-2016, 11:01 PM   #15
Gmc.guy

This is my 74 without power steering It should be similar to yours
Attached Images

Old 10-19-2016, 11:04 PM   #16
Gmc.guy

This is an 81 non integrated head engine I have for parts You can see the bracket for the pump / alternator and the wider spaced pulleys I put the pump and upper bracket on a 77 integrated head engine I have in another truck I'll snap a pic tomorrow for you
Attached Images

Old 10-22-2016, 03:45 PM   #17
KSTHANE

Got my new tires and rims on today and it is remarkably easier to steer than it was before. I may still add this eventually but I no longer have a burning desire. I'm going to bookmark this thread for the future though. Thanks for all the input guys.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-23-2016, 11:12 PM   #18
barry1982

I found that if you keep your front end(tie rod ends/ball joints/ idler/pitman ) well greased, non power steering vehicles turn easier as well.