The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-15-2017, 03:22 PM   #1
Android04

Ground Locations

Hello everyone I am new around here so please take it easy on me. Over the past weekend I picked up a 1965 C10 SWB, factory power brakes, power steering, and AC for a great deal. Body is rough but after sitting for about a year according to the previous owner I cleaned out the fuel tank, put on a new fuel pump, fuel filter, and she fired right up. I have been searching for one for about 2 years for the right price and finally found her.

So needless to say I am stoked and now its time to tackle all of the gremlins. First issues is I've noticed the truck only has two grounds, one from the engine to the battery, and one from the battery to the front of truck. Shouldn't it have a few more? I've looked around online and through the faqs with no luck. I'm guessing it should have one under the cab attached to the frame and one under the bed as well.

I have a feeling this is a contributor to my light issue. Any help would be great.
Android04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 08:16 PM   #2
ImpalaJim

Re: Ground Locations

pics!! we need pics!!
ImpalaJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 08:35 PM   #3
Android04

Here are what I have currently! She has a long way to go but I have the patience to get her where I want.
Attached Images

Old 08-16-2017, 11:52 AM   #4
Android04

Anyone?
Old 08-16-2017, 02:07 PM   #5
The Rocknrod

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=4200642
Very good one here also - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=7098376

Last edited by The Rocknrod; 08-16-2017 at 02:12 PM.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 02:10 PM   #6
Android04

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rocknrod View Post
Thanks for the reply and I originally looked at that thread but wasn't sure if the 67-72 ground locations were the same. If so then it's time to start grounding.

Thanks
Old 08-16-2017, 02:29 PM   #7
The Rocknrod

Remember any switch light of fan in the truck needs a ground potential so flow can work. The energy can't flow in a circuit unless there is:
a. an energy source capable of creating an electric potential difference and unless
b. there is a closed conducting loop through which the charge can move (Grounds once the circuit is closed)
Since I'm a hydraulics type guy I think of the grounds as the return line to the gravity tank.
No grounds - I have a stopped up energy source. Everyone has their own way of dealing with things.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 03:14 PM   #8
Android04

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rocknrod View Post
Remember any switch light of fan in the truck needs a ground potential so flow can work. The energy can't flow in a circuit unless there is:
a. an energy source capable of creating an electric potential difference and unless
b. there is a closed conducting loop through which the charge can move (Grounds once the circuit is closed)
Since I'm a hydraulics type guy I think of the grounds as the return line to the gravity tank.
No grounds - I have a stopped up energy source. Everyone has their own way of dealing with things.
Makes complete sense to me. Going to try and tackle the wiring this weekend.

Thanks again.
Old 08-18-2017, 07:31 PM   #9
rvrfoot

I have been doing a lot of things to my truck. Cant find a ground anywhere only the battery. Everything thing works i will be adding the proper ground straps.
rvrfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 07:48 PM   #10
my56chevytruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Android04 View Post
Hello everyone I am new around here so please take it easy on me. Over the past weekend I picked up a 1965 C10 SWB, factory power brakes, power steering, and AC for a great deal. Body is rough but after sitting for about a year according to the previous owner I cleaned out the fuel tank, put on a new fuel pump, fuel filter, and she fired right up. I have been searching for one for about 2 years for the right price and finally found her.

So needless to say I am stoked and now its time to tackle all of the gremlins. First issues is I've noticed the truck only has two grounds, one from the engine to the battery, and one from the battery to the front of truck. Shouldn't it have a few more? I've looked around online and through the faqs with no luck. I'm guessing it should have one under the cab attached to the frame and one under the bed as well.

I have a feeling this is a contributor to my light issue. Any help would be great.
I'm by no means an electrical guru, but, with the direction years ago, I was told to ground all you can, so on my rides, I've grounded the battery to the frame, along with the transmission, and engine to the frame. Yes, the gauges have various grounds as well, so maybe this will give you a headstart.
my56chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote