The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-07-2018, 03:20 PM   #1
Nomadicflyer

Chill out ~ Aftermarket Air

I've read a number of threads concerning after market AC. My truck is a 72 C20 that was factory air, at one point. PO removed most of the parts.

After reading over the Vintage, Classic and Nostalgic Air websites, I'm just as lost as I was when I started... they all seem pretty similar. They all seem to take away your glove box. Only Vintage will take your heater/AC control panel and mod it for use. Most require the addition of AC vents? Not sure if any of those make full use of the original AC ducts I have. Love to get away with NOT carving out new holes or hanging new ducts under the dash, if I can keep from it.

What say you, those who have been there and done these things?? Do any of the above stand out as a better option? I've read a dozen threads, that go back to early 2000's. Looking for a fresh perspective!

When I decide on a brand, I'll likely install a kit on the 91 K5, as well. Probably start with that one, to get the hang of things, before tearing up the new paint on the 72.

Thank you all! This place ROCKS!
Old 05-07-2018, 04:32 PM   #2
Problems

Re: Chill out ~ Aftermarket Air

I have a vintage air, I don’t have a motor in the truck yet, but I do have the A/C in the cab. Vintage sells a unit for non-A/C cabs and a separate unit for A/C cabs. I have an A/C cab and the unit reuses the factory A/C and defrost vents. It does take up globe box space but it comes with a new glove box insert that has some space. At least paperwork and a coozy still fit. I have seen Some people move the unit more to the center of the truck to preserve more space. I am going to try to mock that up myself.
Problems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:13 AM   #3
brown7373

Is your factory A/C too far stripped from the truck to source the parts you need to make it functional? If you are prepared to spend the money for an after market system, you could probably spend about the same or less to restore the factory system, which works well when properly restored and installed. Plus, it ties in with the heat part of the ventilation system.

Factory A/C systems DID take some of the glove box space away. If you order a new glove box liner, there is one for A/C and another (larger) for non A/C .
brown7373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 04:41 PM   #4
darrellyates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicflyer View Post
I've read a number of threads concerning after market AC. My truck is a 72 C20 that was factory air, at one point. PO removed most of the parts.

After reading over the Vintage, Classic and Nostalgic Air websites, I'm just as lost as I was when I started... they all seem pretty similar. They all seem to take away your glove box. Only Vintage will take your heater/AC control panel and mod it for use. Most require the addition of AC vents? Not sure if any of those make full use of the original AC ducts I have. Love to get away with NOT carving out new holes or hanging new ducts under the dash, if I can keep from it.

What say you, those who have been there and done these things?? Do any of the above stand out as a better option? I've read a dozen threads, that go back to early 2000's. Looking for a fresh perspective!

When I decide on a brand, I'll likely install a kit on the 91 K5, as well. Probably start with that one, to get the hang of things, before tearing up the new paint on the 72.

Thank you all! This place ROCKS!
I used the vintage air unit. My truck was NOT a factory A/C truck, but I added the factory outlets in the dash rather than anything aftermarket. Looks good, works good, no problems. You do lose the glovebox, but think that is the case with most of them...

I would use the Vintage Air sure-fit again. Very complete kit.
darrellyates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 05:37 PM   #5
Duck 37

Smile Re: Chill out ~ Aftermarket Air

Just did Vintage in another vehicle, nice unit. Used factory vents.
Duck 37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 06:14 PM   #6
Smitty

Used Old Air from LMC. Used factory vents. I went with the electronic controls. But you can opt for the original control panel. Works great.
Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote