The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-03-2018, 11:11 PM   #76
YBNORML

Re: Things people say when windows are rolled down

I'm used to getting comments when out cruising in the Blazer. Most of the times they are positive. but this past friday I wanted to get out and have a not so friendly conversation.

My son and I were on our way to a local cruise night, this guy pulls up beside us in a very beat up Buick Century. Tells me "your truck sounds good, too bad you ruined it" I was a little surprised. I'm used to the odd comment about the fact that I lowered the truck but nothing usually so bold. But, since my boy was with me, all I did was tell him " At least its not a Buick" and drove away.

Kaleb later told me he was surprised that I was so polite. I just told him that the guy was jealous and wasn't worth the effort of getting pissed at him.
Attached Images

68’ GMC shortbox
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=794201

72' 2WD Blazer
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=425385

67' LongBox C-10
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=691845

InstaGram ybnorml67
YBNORML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 11:35 PM   #77
dmjlambert

Saying "At least its not a Buick" and driving away deprived the guy of any satisfaction he would have had from trying whatever the heck he was trying to do. Belittle you somehow, I don't know. Whatever it was, it didn't work. He is just an insecure bully. I'll bet he felt like a dummy after you drove off. If that guy has a plan for his vehicle that he thinks would be better for him, then he should get a hobby and do it, and get some good friends along they way. It would make him (and the world) better. Let's hope one day he matures.

And by the way, your truck looks really clean and nice. That color is awesome.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 11:40 PM   #78
CUDA8U

i had a guy pull up beside my 1970 challenger IN AN 80 CAMARO ,its a 512 stroker with 550-600 hp and 600plus tq. He says your car is too loud and sounds like its going to stall out,maybe get a tune up on that SLOPAR!!! He ate rubber and choked on smoke as i laid down a 120' of stripes for him,he finally came out the cloud of smoke and i was a 1/2 mile up the road,after a few lights he reappeared beside and wouldn't even look over.My wife said she was waiting for him to roll down his window to ask how he liked the SLOPAR now,she laughed
CUDA8U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 09:47 AM   #79
72supr

Made the trip into town last week to pick up a tractor radiator and asked the neighbor if he wanted to ride along.Picked him up in the 72.He said you sure like driving this old thing don't you.I said it's kind of fun just wait and see.Got to town did a few things and took another road home.The other way home had road construction that we didn't know about.Anybody that has worked construction knows it's kind of a nasty job.The weather,the smell of hot tar and the idiot drivers don't leave a lot to smile about.Except for the occasional good looking woman.First off the flag lady yells "nice truck".Got some smiles and waves from the boys running the machinery too.Don't have AC so we heard all the comments,not a bad one in the bunch.Looked over at my neighbor and he was just smiling.Good neighbors and a old Chevy pickup.It don't get much better.
72supr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 10:16 AM   #80
slowcpe

I don't think I've driven the '72 yet without getting a compliment. Saturday while sitting at a light I heard a horn honk the second the light turned green. It was early in the morning and I was a little aggravated thinking it was someone telling me to hurry up. Looked to my left and 3 lanes over was a guy and his boy staring and smiling. He then yells across the road "We love your truck". I smiled and said thank you.

When I had my Mustang I used to always get comments from the older guys that used to have the "fastest car in town" back in the day. They always had "3/4 race cams, N50s out back and could pull the wheels at every stoplight."

The most negative comment I recall ever getting was in my Mustang and it was by a Ford guy. He said he loved the color and asked what paint was it. Told him it was a Toyota color and he said I ruined it, basically calling me unamerican.
1967/71 Blue SWB C10..SOLD
1977 SWB K10..my grandpa's.....never should have sold
slowcpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 01:01 PM   #81
slomotion
Old Duffer

Being a holiday and my wife off of work yesterday, we decided to take a ride in the dually. It was hot (for this region) at 91 degrees, but the 2-55 AC was working and as long as we cruised along it wasn't too bad. A couple of thumbs up, and some waves to and from other classics along the way.
We took several photos, but here's just a couple.
The first is the truck playing peek-a-boo at the ice cream stop, and the second and third being some AWESOME yard art!!
Attached Images

'81 G10 Shorty Van

"Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." Will Rogers

"Under promise, then over achieve."
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 04:29 PM   #82
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUDA8U View Post
i had a guy pull up beside my 1970 challenger IN AN 80 CAMARO ,its a 512 stroker with 550-600 hp and 600plus tq. He says your car is too loud and sounds like its going to stall out,maybe get a tune up on that SLOPAR!!! He ate rubber and choked on smoke as i laid down a 120' of stripes for him,he finally came out the cloud of smoke and i was a 1/2 mile up the road,after a few lights he reappeared beside and wouldn't even look over.My wife said she was waiting for him to roll down his window to ask how he liked the SLOPAR now,she laughed
I'm not a MOPAR guy, but I can appreciate a kill story when I see one!

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 07:24 PM   #83
Red71gmc

I got another "nice truck" today in a small parking lot when I was getting out. With other things when strangers are being nice I usually respond kindly with maybe a sentence or two.
When its about the truck, I have learned to stop and have a dialog. They want to ask questions and talk about one they had back in the day. It's a nice break from daily duties and demands. Two strangers get to have a little better day and there is nothing wrong with that.
Red71gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 11:06 AM   #84
CUDA8U

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
I'm not a MOPAR guy, but I can appreciate a kill story when I see one!

this guy has a story for his buddies now!!! The challenger has a custom grind hughes cam and 3" x-pipe exhaust with 10" race bullets,its crazy loud and has a nasty idle.With 512 cubes there isn't many who can stay beside it.It's topped off with dual quads (whichI hate) soon will be a sniper efi because I know I'm leaving a min of 50hp on the table with that set up.It's running a 10.5-1 ratio,aluminum eddy heads,its been race balanced/rollered so it screams to 6000rpm easily .My buddies say they can hear me all the way home and I live 4 miles out on an acreage
CUDA8U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 05:45 PM   #85
projectking

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUDA8U View Post
this guy has a story for his buddies now!!! The challenger has a custom grind hughes cam and 3" x-pipe exhaust with 10" race bullets,its crazy loud and has a nasty idle.With 512 cubes there isn't many who can stay beside it.It's topped off with dual quads (whichI hate) soon will be a sniper efi because I know I'm leaving a min of 50hp on the table with that set up.It's running a 10.5-1 ratio,aluminum eddy heads,its been race balanced/rollered so it screams to 6000rpm easily .My buddies say they can hear me all the way home and I live 4 miles out on an acreage
I’d love to try it with my little pump gas 347/C4 ‘90 coupe! 8 or so years ago I was on a popular cruise route on a Friday night, a strong sounding ‘70 Charger running race fuel pulls out and gets next to me with his wife and kid inside and they sort of smirked at my little Mustang. Light turned green and I left off idle and it looked like he was in reverse, didn’t even use the nitrous lol. I can appreciate all types of cars/trucks and don’t understand the negative people out there.
90 Mustang Notchback
projectking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 09:28 PM   #86
CE20934

Location: Help! I'm in an office park with its own network of freeways!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slomotion View Post
Being a holiday and my wife off of work yesterday, we decided to take a ride in the dually. It was hot (for this region) at 91 degrees, but the 2-55 AC was working and as long as we cruised along it wasn't too bad. A couple of thumbs up, and some waves to and from other classics along the way.
We took several photos, but here's just a couple.
The first is the truck playing peek-a-boo at the ice cream stop, and the second and third being some AWESOME yard art!!
That is a gorgeous C20! My '67 could use a lesson in playing peek-a-boo. The city's subcontracted code enforcement officer keeps leaving me nasty-grams under the wipers.

The last time I took my truck out I made it almost two miles before my truck died in the middle of the road in moderate traffic. I'm somewhat thankful everyone else had their windows UP.
CE20934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 08:39 AM   #87
bill3rail

Quote:
Originally Posted by YBNORML View Post

Kaleb later told me he was surprised that I was so polite.
Isn't that a requirement to be our super polite northern neighbors?

Bill
Old 09-06-2018, 09:29 AM   #88
slomotion
Old Duffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CE20934 View Post
That is a gorgeous C20! My '67 could use a lesson in playing peek-a-boo. The city's subcontracted code enforcement officer keeps leaving me nasty-grams under the wipers.

The last time I took my truck out I made it almost two miles before my truck died in the middle of the road in moderate traffic. I'm somewhat thankful everyone else had their windows UP.
Thank you!

It's been a source of "therapy" for me. I tell people "I'm not very fast, but I sure am slow."

'81 G10 Shorty Van

"Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." Will Rogers

"Under promise, then over achieve."
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 06:43 PM   #89
Orange67

I was at Smith's (Kroger here in Utah) and as i was walking out, I wave and say hi to this elderly couple getting their cart and heading in. The guy was in his 90's, so I was a bit surprised when getting in my 67 (I always park in the north forty, just easier). He stopped me, asked me the year of the truck, and stated he had one (a 70) just like it brand new. Said it was the best truck he'd owned. We continued chatting for 20 minutes or so like old friends, and then he says "boy, i got to go. I left my wife in doing the shopping!" I guess none of us have a hope of changing!!
Attached Images

'67 C20 CST Custom Camper
'04.5 LLY Duramax CCSB...sold
Orange67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 09:30 PM   #90
projectking

^ I love that truck!
90 Mustang Notchback
projectking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 10:12 PM   #91
Orange67

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectking View Post
^ I love that truck!
Thanks man. Me too. She's been a part of the family so long I don't know what I do without seeing her in the driveway.

'67 C20 CST Custom Camper
'04.5 LLY Duramax CCSB...sold
Orange67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 02:05 PM   #92
Jack_71C10
Shortbed club member

I get the normal waves, "nice truck" and thumbs up even though my 71 is only black primer. So one day I was driving slowly through a residential neighborhood. When a woman walking by the curb gave me the thumbs up. As I drove by I waved and said "Thank You". But as I passed her I heard "D***".
It toke me a few seconds to realize that she didn't care about my truck, she just wanted a ride.
2023 Hyundai Tuscon
1986 GMC 3500 Bucket Truck

Sent from my Rotary Phone via 14.4kb/s modem.
Jack_71C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 09:56 PM   #93
garyd1961

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT1 View Post
My windows are never rolled down this time of year but I get a compliment or two almost every time I take it out, which is daily. Most all compliments start out with "Nice looking truck". The only appropriate reply I can give back is "Thank you very much" It's gotten so bad with me that if I go to a gas station and I don't get my daily compliment by the time I leave, I feel like turning around and topping off again.
Nice looking truck.
garyd1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 11:00 PM   #94
garyd1961

My truck has about 3/4 original paint with 1/4 primer spots. It looks like a restoration job that someone gave up on. I guess it looks like something that you could buy cheap and restore because I can't drive it to town without someone asking "do you want to sell that truck".
I'm running around 300 HP and 375 ft-lb of torque, not a monster but enough to embarrass a few younger guys at the stoplights. It has just the right combo of HP and gears so I can be at idle and stomp it to around half throttle and it will jump off the line. They usually pull about a half car link in front of me at the light and when the light changes I jump them by a couple cars. I just love seeing the look on their face.

Last edited by garyd1961; 09-11-2018 at 08:11 PM.
garyd1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 11:49 PM   #95
deadshort52

I know that this thread is a year old but I had fun reading it again. Besides I had two things happen to me recently that fit well here. The first one happened while I was driving down the highway. A young girl was passing me then abruptly slowed to my speed then she pointed at her eye, then made a heart symbol (using both hands), then pointed at my truck....Meaning she loved my truck. I was flattered!

The second one was pretty comical. My wife and I were getting gas in our very remote cabin town, population of 124, and two guys came walking up. It was easy to tell they weren't from around here. I was expecting one of the usual offers to buy it, is it for sale type conversations. After some small talk the one guy asks "what year is this old thing?". I replied "it's a '71", he then asks "a 1971?". How the he!! was I supposed to reply to that with a straight face? I said nope its an 1871. They only built a few of these prototypes that year and I was fortunate enough to find an unrestored one. Good grief! Sometimes people are better off to let everyone think they are ignorant dipsticks then to open their mouth and prove it.
deadshort52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 09:07 AM   #96
67C10Step

I’ve only had my truck five months and it had not ran in over 10 years so I am still months from road worthy. The comments here make me look forward to getting her back on the road. My plan is to get the brakes all all done and suspension rebuilt. Get the bed all in primer and throw it back on. Drive it with the cab it’s Mother Nature textured vermillion for a while. Be rolling stock 283 with three on the tree.

Reminds me of a story from about 1989 in my old 1971 stepside. Buddy convinced me to go meet some girls he knew a few towns away and we took my old truck. It was dark green with black primer hood and black primer spots here and there. We meet these girls and one of them has a brand new white camaro. That wanted to cruise town and the girl with the camaro says, “Let’s take your truck. It’s cool.” Too funny.
67C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 10:08 PM   #97
HO455
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_71C10 View Post
I get the normal waves, "nice truck" and thumbs up even though my 71 is only black primer. So one day I was driving slowly through a residential neighborhood. When a woman walking by the curb gave me the thumbs up. As I drove by I waved and said "Thank You". But as I passed her I heard "D***".
It toke me a few seconds to realize that she didn't care about my truck, she just wanted a ride.
I had the same thing happen to me a little while back! With the exception of being on a busy street, it was the same. She even called me the same name. After I realized what was going on I was like " Who hitchhikes these days????"
I wonder if she hitched all the way to Oregon?
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 05:20 PM   #98
rcazwillis

Favorite comment of all time happened at a stop light. We hear a short blast from a police siren and hear over the loud speaker "Nice truck." The cop behind us used his car speaker to comment.
Old 09-05-2019, 05:44 PM   #99
jabborabbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcazwillis View Post
Favorite comment of all time happened at a stop light. We hear a short blast from a police siren and hear over the loud speaker "Nice truck." The cop behind us used his car speaker to comment.
A city cop pulled me over a while back - lights flashing - just to talk about my 67 GMC.
Old 09-08-2019, 06:37 PM   #100
Sparky dave

Took a friend out for a ride in the 69. Was on a red light when the guy in the car in front of me got out walked up to he front of my truck stared through my windscreen at us then got his phone out and took a picture then gave me a thumbs up and got back in his car. Just the timing of it , if it had been over your side you would have thought he was pulling his gun. It freaked me out