The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-26-2011, 04:59 AM   #26
Altec
Getcha Pull

Re: Dumb question about 4 wheel drive on my 72 C20

Good info here. Maybe I can help get it all into one post.

Unlocked Hubs/2-Wheel Drive:
-Only the hubs spin. Drive shaft, and axle shafts do not turn. Least wear, and least drag on the system.

Unlocked Hubs/4-Wheel Drive:
-Drive shaft, and axle shafts spin. No power transfered to the wheels. Results in unnecessary wear on transfer case, ring and pinion, and axle shaft seals. also results in increased drag on your drivetrain. Lowering efficiency, and slightly higher percentage of power lose.

Locked Hubs/2-Wheel Drive:
-Same results as unlocked/4WD. More, or less. At full lock, or close to it some popping, and jerking can be felt in some cases. Result of the joints on the axle shafts binding.

Locked Hubs/4-Wheel Drive:
-Transfer case, drive shaft, axle shafts, and hubs all spinning. Increased wear, and lower efficiency caused by drag in the system.
-Dry surface use in Locked/4WD results in problems. Even with a open differential. The front tires are allowed to spin at different speeds, but since the front axle is now tied to the rear axle binding simply can not be avoided. Because the back of the vehicle will always take a different path then the front. The resulting effect is the "bucking" and other problems felt when trying this. The only way around this is with a transfer case with a built in differential. Options for this are slim. The popular choices are the NP203, and the NV245/247, and maybe a couple more.
'96 Integra
Altec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 08:26 AM   #27
special-K
Special Order

I get binding in the '89 K1500 (IFS) I'm driving when I put it in 4wd just to back up my driveway. The road is clear and my driveway is snow & ice covered on an incline. I pull the lever just as I'm pulling in front of my house because it takes a moment to engage,pull past the drive enough,turn wheels,and back in. The steering wheel rocks back and forth and the truck is in an obvious bind. I have experienced this in every 4wd of every design that I have owned for the past 35 years. Before that,it was the Land rovers my dad owned since the '60s. I can't imagine someone not experiencing the same thing on dry pavement.

It just comes down to one very simple fact. It's best to use the system the way it was designed to be used...2hi/hubs free under normal circumstances and 4hi or 4lo/hubs locked when 4wd is needed or 2hi/hubs locked to 4hi for brief periods as needed. Heck,even when having a blast...4hi/hubs locked off road and throw it into 2hi to slide rear or just make a sharper turn...YEEHAW!!

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:52 AM   #28
RustyParts

Another reason to keep the hubs unlocked when not needed. The front axle is a steering axle and caster and camber is always adding and subtracting to the stresses on the axle.

The math teacher said my son "Bubba" could be a mathmatical genius. cause he's got 13 fingers!
RustyParts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 03:00 PM   #29
Brettd85

Thanks for the comments guys.

Last edited by Brettd85; 02-27-2011 at 03:02 PM.
Brettd85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 12:10 AM   #30
rayfinseats

Dumb question? Maybe you should have said, "Hey I don't understand something."

In 4x4 it eats more gas. IN 4x4 with the hibs unlocked you are still in 4x4 but the front wheels are free-wheeling, which still uses SOME more gas.

You're welcome. It confused me too when I got my first one.

If the factories were trying to make good vehicles instead of pleasing the greedy stockholders they would all have positraction....2 cents.

Last edited by rayfinseats; 03-05-2011 at 12:12 AM.
rayfinseats is offline   Reply With Quote