The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-06-2018, 06:10 PM   #26
dmjlambert

Re: 70 C20 w/HEI Starter Stays Engaged, Ignition Switch Smoked

firedemon mentioned fusible link earlier, but I didn't see any further discussion of that in your thread. Do you have 6 to 9 inches of 16 gauge fusible link wire from the battery positive terminal to the passenger fender terminal where the 12 gauge main wire runs to the rest of the truck? It is important. You want that fusible link to burn up instead of any of your truck wiring burning up, in case some short happens in the future.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 06:49 PM   #27
CW4B

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjlambert View Post
firedemon mentioned fusible link earlier, but I didn't see any further discussion of that in your thread. Do you have 6 to 9 inches of 16 gauge fusible link wire from the battery positive terminal to the passenger fender terminal where the 12 gauge main wire runs to the rest of the truck? It is important. You want that fusible link to burn up instead of any of your truck wiring burning up, in case some short happens in the future.
Does this look right?
Attached Images

CW4B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 07:51 PM   #28
dmjlambert

That yellow wire does not look about 16 gauge and may not be fusible link. Fusible link is specially insulated flame proof wire. The fusible link is available in a short length at O'Reilly and other parts stores. I have only seen grey fusible links, so I am suspicious of that yellow wire. It is important to be 16 gauge so it is smaller and will burn up before burning some of the 12 gauge wires elsewhere in the truck. It is supposed to be 2 wire sizes smaller gauge than the wire you are protecting, and electric wire just comes in even sizes, like 12, 14, 16, 18, etc.

Your battery lifter strap is in the way, if you have one of the those emergency repair terminals that clamps onto your main starter wire with 2 bolts and a plate, I really recommend getting a new starter cable too, and I recommend not getting one that is in stock at auto parts stores because they have the wrong one. I recommend ACDelco ACD# 4BC53X GM# 88860050 cable. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=734496
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 10:20 PM   #29
CW4B

Quote:
That yellow wire does not look about 16 gauge and may not be fusible link. Fusible link is specially insulated flame proof wire. The fusible link is available in a short length at O'Reilly and other parts stores. I have only seen grey fusible links, so I am suspicious of that yellow wire. It is important to be 16 gauge so it is smaller and will burn up before burning some of the 12 gauge wires elsewhere in the truck. It is supposed to be 2 wire sizes smaller gauge than the wire you are protecting, and electric wire just comes in even sizes, like 12, 14, 16, 18, etc.

Your battery lifter strap is in the way, if you have one of the those emergency repair terminals that clamps onto your main starter wire with 2 bolts and a plate, I really recommend getting a new starter cable too, and I recommend not getting one that is in stock at auto parts stores because they have the wrong one. I recommend ACDelco ACD# 4BC53X GM# 88860050 cable. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=734496
Thanks, I ordered the part you recommended. Awesome. A
Old 05-06-2018, 10:27 PM   #30
CW4B

I really appreciate the guidance everyone, I’m awestruck. Looking forward to contributing too as I learn more.
Old 05-09-2018, 09:02 AM   #31
CW4B

Quote:
Received the battery cable you recommended. Will drop it in today. Thanks for the recommendation!