The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-02-2019, 03:47 PM   #1
Z11WEAVER

MUSTANG ll IFS upgrade on a 70 blazer

To start, Im not a fan of this company however I'm looking for some feedback. What do you know about these? This is a Jonny Law item. I can get this with power rack and adjustable coil overs for 1300 delivered or 1100 delivered without their coil overs. They manufacture their own ball joints, but moog is the replacement. Everything is black powder coated except for the crossmember. It's in primer.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/60-87-Chevy...IAAOSwsPNcFloK
Z11WEAVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 04:26 PM   #2
HO455
Post Whore

Re: MUSTANG ll IFS upgrade on a 70 blazer

You might repost this in the suspension section to get a more focused audience. I have no experience with this particular set up but I did not use a Mustang II set up on a street rod truck years ago as I was warned they are too light for a heavy vehicle. I personally would want to see some proof of caster, camber and bump steer numbers prior to purchase.
If these are Johnny Law items, they are based in Portland. If you are in Kelso WA you might be able to save you some shipping by picking them up.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 10:25 PM   #3
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
I will move it.....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 09:54 AM   #4
68Stepbed

I don't see anything there that would be a benefit even over factory stuff. First off, the geometry will be way off. The MII suspension geometry was great for small cars and street rods since the beginning, but suspension technology has come a long way, especially in the past 10 years.

Second, the spindles will be very weak in comparison to dedicated truck spindles. Remember, the MII was a small car with a low center of gravity. Trucks have a very high center of gravity and put alot of stress on spindles.

Thirdly, it has "car" brakes. 11" rotors and small calipers were standard on Camaros, Chevelles, etc., but the 71-87 trucks came stock with 12" rotors and large bore calipers with gobs of clamping force. Those brakes may be an upgrade over 63-70 drums, but will never be adequate compared to factory truck brakes.

Lastly, not all coilover shocks are created equal. Just because there's a coilover "upgrade" doesn't mean it's a quality shock. Shocks have valving that can be built specifically for the application, and if the valving doesn't match the geometry, it'll create for an ill handling ride.

So basically, you'll be getting what you pay for. You may save $1000 over another brand, but it won't be near as good as it's higher priced counterparts.

I'm running the suspension from Total Cost Involved. It's engineered for great handling with great ride quality due to being able to use a combo of specific valving and lighter spring rates. It also comes standard with 12" truck brake rotors and the bigger piston 1 ton truck calipers, or the Wilwood upgrade is available if you so choose. Yes, this may cost more than the one above, but it comes with a lifetime warranty and made with all U.S. steel.

68 C10 stepside, LS1/700R4, TCI Engineering suspension system
68Stepbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 11:13 AM   #5
SASROD

I have no experience with the company you mentioned, but you might want to go visit http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/ and search for threads discussing this company, before you buy from there. Its a traditional hot rod forum with a lot of knowledgeable people.
SASROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 01:23 PM   #6
Z11WEAVER

I was kinda thinking the same thoughts. I've been trying to talk myself into the Heidts Superride bolt in kit at 4k. It just appears to be of a much better quality and for the most part, eliminates potential centering errors and looks really clean. Like you said, you get what you pay for.
Old 01-03-2019, 02:14 PM   #7
68Stepbed

I'd steer clear of Heidt's as well. For many of the same reasons as above. Outdated MII geometry, 11" rotors, basic coilovers.

The TCI base kit has better options than the upgrades available from Heidt's.

Old 01-03-2019, 02:17 PM   #8
68Stepbed

I'm going to push the TCI products because that's what I'm running. However, here's another good option from NoLimit.

http://nolimit.net/products#!/Wide-R...tegory=6157532

Old 01-03-2019, 04:00 PM   #9
Z11WEAVER

Looking at the No limits kit, and it requires you to purshase a different oil pan if running a LS, and quite honestly, I think its bulky and hideous looking. TCI looks much more appealing to the eye. I like clean and simple, not bulky and added weight. Going to check into the TCI kit. I believe CPP sells them. Who offers the best deal on them? Thanks for the advise.
Old 01-03-2019, 06:16 PM   #10
68Stepbed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z11WEAVER View Post
Looking at the No limits kit, and it requires you to purshase a different oil pan if running a LS, and quite honestly, I think its bulky and hideous looking. TCI looks much more appealing to the eye. I like clean and simple, not bulky and added weight. Going to check into the TCI kit. I believe CPP sells them. Who offers the best deal on them? Thanks for the advise.
Call TCI direct at 800-984-6259. Ask for Evan Dalley and tell him Matt Kenner told you to call him.

Here's a few shots of the TCI kit in my 68. I'm using an Fbody pan on my LS.

Old 01-03-2019, 06:48 PM   #11
Z11WEAVER

That dusk blue is gorgeous! I have been contemplating that color as well or marina blue with the white sides and wood trim down the sides and tailgate. How much of a difference in ride and handling have you noticed gained? I picked up a 74 square body front suspension set-up and considered the CPP controll arms, drop spindles/springs ect, but since all modern builds and new cars primarily use this design, Im leaning this way. I want to do this right the first time. Looking for a 5 or 6" drop in front and 8 in the rear. Gonna run a 20x12 rear and 20x9.5 front. 5.3/4L60e, factory buckets, console, tilt and AC.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:30 AM   #12
68Stepbed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z11WEAVER View Post
That dusk blue is gorgeous! I have been contemplating that color as well or marina blue with the white sides and wood trim down the sides and tailgate. How much of a difference in ride and handling have you noticed gained? I picked up a 74 square body front suspension set-up and considered the CPP controll arms, drop spindles/springs ect, but since all modern builds and new cars primarily use this design, Im leaning this way. I want to do this right the first time. Looking for a 5 or 6" drop in front and 8 in the rear. Gonna run a 20x12 rear and 20x9.5 front. 5.3/4L60e, factory buckets, console, tilt and AC.
My truck is actually Atlantic Blue. thank you for the compliment!

The best part of the suspension is it retains the feel of driving an old truck( I was actually worried about it losing it's old truck feel.) The biggest differences are the fact it handles bumps, potholes, etc. without the drama the factory style suspension had. The rack and pinion steering is very responsive and agile with no play like the old boxes tend to have. The Ridetech coilovers are single rebound adjustable, so the ride can be tuned for how you drive it. I usually crank the fronts up pretty high for autocross use and turn them back down for normal driving.

My truck was lowered 4.5/6.75 before and I always thought it handled pretty well, but the new suspension certainly made a huge improvement. I also have the rear torque arm system from TCI. The torque arm is amazing! With stock suspension, I actually got sick of spinning tires because it was so easy. Now, even with 530+hp/475tq, I have to work hard to make it spin tires. The difference in rear grip was night and day.

The front system yields about a 5" drop. The rear only about 7", but a 1" block could get you 8" without messing up any geometry. Just make sure you have floor clearance for the center section.

Old 01-05-2019, 12:01 AM   #13
Z11WEAVER

Also been looking at the Porterbuilt dropmember. Looks like they have great bottom side clearance and a bit narrower control arms for that perfect 6" and 8" static drop. Review's on their kit are few and far between other than slow and shipping out the wrong product.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:56 AM   #14
68Stepbed

I don't have any experience with Porterbuilt, so I can't really comment on their products.