The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-22-2003, 08:55 AM   #1
Lippyp
English Chevy Owner

Urgent Help needed about P/S Hose

My 67 has the later type power steering (not the ram type) and I blew a hole in the pressure hose last week. I have a correct replacement pump and brackets to swap out for the bodged on later shape pump and home-made brackets (350 SBC)

My problem is that the new hose I have has a male fitting on one end and a female fitting on the other. My pump and steering box both appear to take a male fitting. Is this possible and I've just got the wrong hose or in the bodging process has the previous owner done something odd and missed a piece out somewhere. Is it possible that this is an even later setup with the metric type hoses? Is there any way to tell without taking the pump/hoses off and completely immobilising the truck.

I don't know if the box is original to the truck as I don't have the option sheet. The frame does have the indent so I guess it is possible. The truck originally had a 6 in it not a V8.

Help!!!

'67 C10 long fleet.
350/TH350, 4 bbl Carter, K&N, Dual exhaust, loads of stuff coming soon

2001 S10 Blazer Daily Driver, bone stock 4 door 4x4 with manual transmission
Lippyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 09:11 AM   #2
JimKshortstep4x4

Talking

From what you are describing, my thought would be to just change out the fitting in the power steering pump to a female fitting.

Jim
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 09:16 AM   #3
Long Knight
Spank 'em if you got 'em!

I'll go first. Don't know about the pump. What I would do is get a coupler (preferably poly) that is male on both sides and connect the sucker anyway. Should be sae.

'71 C-20, 350ci, TH350, Edl. 1406 Carb w/elec.choke, Ignitor ignition, Viper Tires, Orange Dipstick
Long Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 04:00 PM   #4
68racer
Yeah baby!

Lippy, I do hydraulic hoses to keep a crust on the table, e-mail me pics or take both hoses to your local Pirtek (plug) and they will resolve problem.
Old 04-23-2003, 01:11 PM   #5
Lippyp
English Chevy Owner

I have attached a picture showing both old and new hoses. The new hose doesn't fit either the old or new pumps or the box. The old hose fits both the pumps and the box. The two male ends are two different sizes (I think looking at some images a supplier sent me that they are 7/16" male and a 3/8" male) The new hose has one male and one female and the male seems to be too big to fit the pump and the wrong thread for the box. Does anybody recognise the old hose and can tell me what the original application would have been so I can try and source one.
Attached Images

'67 C10 long fleet.

Old 04-23-2003, 01:22 PM   #6
Lippyp
English Chevy Owner

Also does anyone have any tips for stopping the engine turning over whilst trying to undo the bolt on the front of the balancer as I need to change the pulleys out. It seems to be on real tight (I think the torque setting is about 60ft/lbs)

I also have the remains of an old bracket coming from the drivers side engine mount that I need to remove to fit the new pump. I can see how you get to the front top bolt but it is also atttached to the bottom bolt, how do I get to this to undo it? it seems totally inaccessable. Do I need to jack the engine up whilst I do this to take the weght off? The Haynes manual I have seems pretty vague.

'67 C10 long fleet.

Last edited by Lippyp; 04-23-2003 at 01:26 PM.