The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-06-2015, 10:59 AM   #26
Malamute

Re: '69 Build....name pending

Any tips for pulling the rear drums? I'd like to get off as complete as possible. Also, should I remove the current springs, shocks first or do the drums first? I'm hoping to get more done this weekend.
Malamute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 11:51 AM   #27
Malamute

SCOTI(or anyone else that's lurking), the spindle broke free from the upper BJ no problem but I cannot get the bottom free for the life of me. Any other suggestions? Thanks.
Old 03-07-2015, 04:29 PM   #28
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
SCOTI(or anyone else that's lurking), the spindle broke free from the upper BJ no problem but I cannot get the bottom free for the life of me. Any other suggestions? Thanks.
Quote:
Thanks for the advice. I've got the upper BJ removed from the spindle and the lower CA is hanging now. Problem is, I need to get another socket for the lower castle nut before I can try to get that one out.

I will try to use your method for the lower. Thanks again!
What is the state of assembly? Are the coils still under tension or not? If I'm reading correctly, there's no longer tension on them (which helps alot). If there's no tension, you can use a 'Pickle fork' to help pop it loose. It's wedge shape straddles the BJ shank & it gets pounded in between the spindles surface & the BJ's.

As far as the rear drum removal, if the e-brake cables are removed from the shoe hardware (it enters through the backing plate & clips onto the brake shoe hardware inside the drum), the 4 backing plate bolts can be removed from the housing to allow the entire assembly to come off as a unit after the hardline is detatched from the wheel cylinder @ the backing plate.

The shocks & springs don't have to be removed first. To make their removal easier, spray their hardware now w/penetrating oil to help things come apart easier.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 03-07-2015 at 04:55 PM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 04:41 PM   #29
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by nds1968 View Post
....I'd ask Nate about what drop to utilize on his rear T/A's for 15" wheels. If your running stock T/A's with 15" wheels a 1 1/2" block is only recommended so that you don't have scrub line issues if you get a flat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus350
As far as the trailing arms I went with the 3 inch drop with Nates trailing arms there should be any scrub issues because of the way he has it designed. Now if you where just using blocks that's a different story.
PB's truck arms don't have the same scrub line issues w/15" wheels like OE T/A's do because the u-bolt doesn't run all the way through the T/A. The u-bolt & nut are what hang below the scubline on OE T/A set-ups w/blocks.

I have a pair from the first batch of his T/A's. I'm not sure if he made a manufacturing change, but on mine the 3" drop PB T/A shock bracket did hang below the scrub line w/the 15" wheel I mocked up. It was easily corrected by trimming the brackets length & drilling a new hole (from what I remember.... it's been a while).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 03-07-2015, 07:11 PM   #30
Malamute

Thanks SCOTI. Yes, the springs are still under load. I re-attached the upper bj to the spindle which I originally broke free with a pickle fork. It's not even touching the lowers however. I've used the jack method and the pickle fork and they haven't budged.

Thanks for the tips on the rear. I'll get this eventually.
Old 03-07-2015, 07:44 PM   #31
SCOTI

Quote:
Thanks SCOTI. Yes, the springs are still under load. I re-attached the upper bj to the spindle which I originally broke free with a pickle fork. It's not even touching the lowers however. I've used the jack method and the pickle fork and they haven't budged.

Thanks for the tips on the rear. I'll get this eventually.
If still under tension of the spring, get a bigger hammer when hitting the spindle. Sometimes it takes one heck of a blow to pop it loose. Don't worry about damaging the spindle cuase you're not going to re-use it
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 03-07-2015, 07:51 PM   #32
Malamute

Will do. Thanks.
Old 03-08-2015, 05:09 PM   #33
Malamute

Ha! Right tool for the right job, right? My pickle fork was large enough for the upper bj's but not the lowers. I went to the parts store, borrowed their loaner and had the lowers off in less than 2 minutes.

Thanks for the input SCOTI.
Old 03-08-2015, 06:12 PM   #34
SCOTI

Quote:
Ha! Right tool for the right job, right? My pickle fork was large enough for the upper bj's but not the lowers. I went to the parts store, borrowed their loaner and had the lowers off in less than 2 minutes.

Thanks for the input SCOTI.
True.... They make different dimensions/widths for the forks. In a pinch (or for others following) you can still use the smaller unit if that's all you have. You just wedge one side of the fork on one side or the other of the BJ shaft vs straddling the shaft. I've have to that more then once when the parts were being stubborn & I only had access to the smaller fork.

Glad you made progress.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 03-08-2015, 07:06 PM   #35
Malamute

Yeah, I tried the one side method and it kept popping out the side so I trekked into town for the loaners. Glad to have that behind me, going to start cleaning everything up and get ready for paint on the front.

I'm curious, are my spindles, brakes, rotors and springs worth trying to sell or should I just scrap them?
Old 03-09-2015, 01:46 PM   #36
SCOTI

Quote:
Yeah, I tried the one side method and it kept popping out the side so I trekked into town for the loaners. Glad to have that behind me, going to start cleaning everything up and get ready for paint on the front.

I'm curious, are my spindles, brakes, rotors and springs worth trying to sell or should I just scrap them?
Not really worth alot in general. Worth something to the right guy though.

Spindles & drum brakes might be needed by someone that had a failure & needs to get things back together 'for now'. The springs could be used by someone that has had their springs heated or cut excessively for lowering & they just want to swap something OE back in.

They are good items for paying it forward & making a Karma deposit.....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 03-10-2015, 10:22 PM   #37
Malamute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Not really worth alot in general. Worth something to the right guy though.

Spindles & drum brakes might be needed by someone that had a failure & needs to get things back together 'for now'. The springs could be used by someone that has had their springs heated or cut excessively for lowering & they just want to swap something OE back in.

They are good items for paying it forward & making a Karma deposit.....
Thanks. I'll keep them around in case anyone has a need and I can help them out. If I get tired of tripping over them I'll toss 'em out. Thanks again for the help!
Old 08-10-2015, 08:13 PM   #38
Malamute

Everything else has been a priority but I finally got it off of jack stands. Need a few things to finish the front and then on to the rear.

Old 08-29-2015, 10:10 AM   #39
Malamute

I'll try to get some pics up when I'm done, not good at taking pics as I go. Getting closer. The Rally's are going to be a close fit for clearance with the steering. Tossing the idea of 18" Detroit steel wheels with a cap, thoughts?