The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-27-2017, 11:59 AM   #1
whitedog76

Ackerman angle on street suspension

I've been talking with vendors about putting together an IFS system for my 54. I want utilize an MII setup, but reverse the spindles for a rear steer application.

In conversation, it came up that Ackerman angle may be affected.

So, I went and studied Ackerman steering. It's a simple concept, the outside wheel in a turn doesn't need to turn as much as the inside. My conclusion is that on a Rack&Pinion equipped vehicle, Ackerman has little or no relevance.

I want to point out that I understand the concept of Ackerman, Castor, camber, and other elements of steering. I had Trig. and Calc. in college, so the geometry of it is not above my grasp.

Not to get long winded. When you have a rack&pinion installed parallel with an axle beam or parallel to the axle center line, the input on one side reacts equal on the other side.

To further complicate things, we have King Pin Angle (or included angle) in our suspensions, along with castor angle. When a wheel turns in a vehicle with KPA and Castor, the inside wheel rolls in, thus staggering the wheels and transferring weight to the outside of the vehicle. It also creates a scrub or scuff area on the outside edge of the inner wheel. The car has no option but to turn.

With that being said. The only application I see Ackeman working effectively is with a center mount steering, with an offset steering shaft or in a wagon (which Ackerman was originally designed for)

Not to say that Ackerman cannot be used in a street car. Running with toe-out will create some Ackerman affect. Or, offsetting the spindle from axle center-line will have some affect. I've never seen an offset spindle, I've also never seen toe-out recommended on a RWD vehicle other than race application.

If I'm wrong of off-base. PLEASE CORRECT ME! I'm not an engineer, just somebody that over-thinks things.

Chris
whitedog76 is offline   Reply With Quote