The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-17-2018, 02:50 AM   #1
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

I swear I didn't plan this...

After almost exactly a year I finished remodeling the exterior of my house. Went from piss yellow to puke green (see what I did there?).

I bought a 98% rust free 68 firebird back in July because I really want one and I don't have time to build the really rusty one I got from my dad. My dad came down and took back his old 67 firebird a couple weeks ago leaving the spot in front of the garage open.

It finally stopped raining today (its been raining over the weekends for like 2 months now?) So I finally got a chance to get up all the leaves, clean up the yard, and get the firebird out of the back yard and out front onto the concrete.

The car almost blends into the house
Attached Images

1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 07:02 AM   #2
Grumpy old man

Re: I swear I didn't plan this...

You may have fooled your wife ,But your not fooling us ! That color matches just a little too close to be an accident .

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 08:37 AM   #3
special-K
Special Order

One must understand the unconscious powers that dwell deep within

I don't want to steal your thunder, so I won't tell my story reading this thread has sparked that is so related... yet! Let this roll a while and I'll pop back in with it. Let's say for now I did a similar thing.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 08:39 AM   #4
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: I swear I didn't plan this...

I know better Jesse!
Ant that a 2 car garage?

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 09:40 AM   #5
67ChevyRedneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
You may have fooled your wife ,But your not fooling us ! That color matches just a little too close to be an accident .
It was so hard finding a good green for siding too! I went to a real siding place to get it It's actually a lot better quality then what I took off too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
One must understand the unconscious powers that dwell deep within

I don't want to steal your thunder, so I won't tell my story reading this thread has sparked that is so related... yet! Let this roll a while and I'll pop back in with it. Let's say for now I did a similar thing.
You know everyone loves a good story!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
I know better Jesse!
Ant that a 2 car garage?
It's a complete disaster from the home reno. The Mustang is packed in there with enough room to walk around. In the middle of that mess is my cut down longbed for my C10 and the doors/fenders I've been working on for it.

The shop is coming... I have 20K cash to get it started. Probably need double that, but that should get me a foundation and a shell.

That pic looked a lot better on my phone screen... my camera lens must have been dirty. This one is a bit better and you can see the disaster in my garage in front of it
Attached Images

Project "On a Dime"
Old 12-17-2018, 10:40 AM   #6
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

I will behave and just say good choice Jesse.

I'd say your shop will look the same as they garage within 6 months of it being built. Ask me how I know this.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 01:03 PM   #7
67ChevyRedneck

I honestly hope not but it probably will.

The attached garage should hopefully stay clean. I'm taking everything out of it needed to work on cars. The only "stuff" in there should be both Mustangs. and a few things for the house. I painted the walls up nice and put metal signs everywhere, might even throw a TV out there I don't want to do "work" on stuff in there anymore, but being two Mustangs will be in there, it may be where the most work gets done?
Project "On a Dime"
Old 12-17-2018, 01:56 PM   #8
RustyPile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck View Post
[snip]
The shop is coming... I have 20K cash to get it started. Probably need double that, but that should get me a foundation and a shell.
[snip]
Five years ago, I had this 30' X 40' built for less than $14,000.. Wired, remote operated overhead doors, and 20' X 30' concrete apron.. For insurance purposes, it's classified as a pole barn..
Attached Images

RustyPile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 03:05 PM   #9
67ChevyRedneck

Thats nice!

I want a more traditional build. It will match the house and have storage in the rafters. I'm also out of flat space, I have to build 3' in to a hill, or knock the whole hill down, both cost money.

I'm looking at 26'x44' and will have a rear door for a pass through into the back yard. Even a 9-10' door is expensive.

Concrete work has gotten high in my area. If I can get out of the dirt/concrete for 10K I'll be doing good... (I'm expecting it to be a bit higher though) The foundation and electrical to the garage are the only parts I can't do. I plan to build the shell myself. I like shingling, but don't like heights... Probably do a 6/12, will be more of a "Crawl space" with storage. Just need somewhere to put all of our holiday stuff and small car parts so I don't clutter the crap out of the garage. For a modern house (1998) our house has very little closet/storage space. There isn't even a downstairs closet for coats or vacuum, just a pantry.

I built this 10'x20' shed in 2011. I built my own truss too. I never painted it Left side has full concrete floor, right side is pole barn style. Thinking about painting it to match the house now with the trim pieces in tan.

Project "On a Dime"

Last edited by 67ChevyRedneck; 12-17-2018 at 03:30 PM.
Old 12-17-2018, 07:57 PM   #10
special-K
Special Order

So you didn't plan this? I know what's up. Your wife would only give you permission to buy another car if it matched the house. Pretty slick how I figured that out, ey?

Speaking of quality green vinyl siding, I did a house about 10 years ago in green vinyl. It was a shingle house built in 1929. I didn't want to do a cheezy slap a vinyl skin on remodel like the rest of the neighborhood.I found them a shingle style vinyl in a green that matched the existing color. The extra cost postponed the job till they could raise more money, but the end result was a house that looked original with a fresh paint job.
Attached Images

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 12-17-2018, 09:05 PM   #11
davischevy

As soon as I saw your house I remembered you talking a couple years ago about building a shop. I kept reading and found the answer. My current shop is build into a hill. When I build a shop here at the house I have considered building it into the hillside.

Side note. A few years ago the guy at the house next door to our business parked a 68 Firebird in the driveway. One weekend about ten years a go he disassembled it and it just sat there then disappeared. The house is now abandoned and all grown up I walked around back the other day and could see something through the bushes, the Firebird. It still has the block and four speed in it. The front clip is in a shed. I'm trying to buy the property so maybe the Firebird will be the bonus.

special-K, I was taking wife around Saturday looking at houses and she spotted some of that shingle siding. It looked good.

The house looks good Jesse.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 10:25 PM   #12
atog

Quote:
Originally Posted by davischevy View Post
As soon as I saw your house I remembered you talking a couple years ago about building a shop. I kept reading and found the answer. My current shop is build into a hill. When I build a shop here at the house I have considered building it into the hillside.

Side note. A few years ago the guy at the house next door to our business parked a 68 Firebird in the driveway. One weekend about ten years a go he disassembled it and it just sat there then disappeared. The house is now abandoned and all grown up I walked around back the other day and could see something through the bushes, the Firebird. It still has the block and four speed in it. The front clip is in a shed. I'm trying to buy the property so maybe the Firebird will be the bonus.

special-K, I was taking wife around Saturday looking at houses and she spotted some of that shingle siding. It looked good.

Larry I would say this time of year is a perfect time to buy house with contents next to your shop. Timing is everything as I’m sure you are aware of. I still see houses in southern Ohio and Wv that actually have sheets of shingles on sides. I think Tim’s looks a lot better though
atog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 10:29 PM   #13
special-K
Special Order

ooooh... Pontiac block and 4spd (probably a Borg Warner).

I think that house got a Certainteed product, solid color, single row, 10' panels. I put Nailite, variegated/two or more courses/4'?, on another place. Those shingle styles make a nice job.
Name:  Rileyville2.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  49.2 KB
___________________________________________________________-

Ok, about my 'related' story. In the early '80s I decided a '71 Monte Carlo would couple nicely with the '71 K/20 for a comfortable after hours ride to counter the rugged truck. One day I spotted a baby blue '63 Riviera in really good condition. Always liked them so I took a look. That's when I realized this was the car that started the personal luxury segment for GM and it was what the Monte Carlo was, only earlier and a Buick. I bought it for my girlfriend who became my wife who then became a big........ er, my X. Baby Blue/Blue interior, that car was really cool. Big motor, smooth ride, seamless shifting, console shift, 4 place seating. I hang on to things and I still have a box of toy cars from when I was a kid. I think it was when we were moving into this house that I went through looking at my collection. I'm unwrapping the cars (Corgi & Dinky Toys) and what do you know? I had forgotten all about this and there it was, possibly my all time favorite, a Baby Blue '63 Riviera Corgi Toy. It has a really cool feature, which is why it was my favorite. On the dash top and rear shelf were lenses to let light in. The one in the rear shelf brought light in to illuminate the headlights and the one on top of the dash illuminated the tail lights. If you covered it just right you could make a turn signal. Only thing about that toy is it had a yellow interior. Oh well, can't be exact I guess, but doggone close and what a coinky dink
Attached Images

Tim

Old 12-18-2018, 12:29 AM   #14
67ChevyRedneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by atog View Post
Larry I would say this time of year is a perfect time to buy house with contents next to your shop. Timing is everything as I’m sure you are aware of. I still see houses in southern Ohio and Wv that actually have sheets of shingles on sides. I think Tim’s looks a lot better though
My grandparents house had the sheets of shingles on the sides when I was little (mid 80s). That house got torn down and they built a new one next to it. I remember green and red??? I remember thinking it was kind of an ugly house...
Project "On a Dime"

Last edited by 67ChevyRedneck; 12-18-2018 at 12:38 AM.
Old 12-18-2018, 12:37 AM   #15
67ChevyRedneck

Tim, that house came out awesome!!! I'm originally from NY, very familiar with that style of house. That's one of the very few things I miss about NY/PA/OH, were all the old style neighborhood houses. Everything down here in Greenville is 1990's and newer, or 50's/60s, with a lot of small one story and craftsman style houses. Up North early to mid 1900 houses are all over the place.

Love that Riviera! I never had much of a collection of toys. I was heavy into the plastic model kit scene, even at an early age, biking, and of course, I was the Nintendo generation... so I played outside until dark, then after dark and rainy days was Nintendo time! I actually had very few matchbox and die casts. I did have a decent collection of "micro machines" but I haven't seen any in over 25 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davischevy View Post

Thanks! Man, that would be awesome! Does your state have the abandoned title, or bonded title process? That would be a heck of a score to get with the property.
Project "On a Dime"
Old 12-18-2018, 08:12 AM   #16
special-K
Special Order

Are you and Atog talking about the asphalt shingles on the walls? There was also what they called Insulbrick. Anyone remember that stuff, or still see it somewhere? Not real pretty but honestly was a pretty good product. Figure it pre-dates asbestos shingle (or whatever that was supposed to look like), actually was maintenance-free, and did give warmth to a house. Ahead of it's time, but ugly. Although at the time it was probably seen as an upgrade. Gave the look of brick w/o the expense.

Yeah, I'm an old house lover. Dey gots soul... and style, better materials, and deserve rewarding for standing the test of time. People see them as maintenance headaches, always need work. Just like an old car, right? There's also the historic factor, especially combined with the town, neighborhood, or area. I can't believe the repairs 10-20 year old houses need, still on original mortgage which ain't such a small amount. I used to slam vinyl siding up by the truckload. Now I peel it off to fix what's happened underneath. After being in this house, with it's log walls and character, I think it would be hard to live in a newer conventional house. I'm considering going with a mossy green siding like yours and stay with the same trim colors for a fresh change. I plan to paint my new outhouse to match once it 'seasons' a while (and once the house gets done). I've washed it with vinegar a couple times already.
Name:  IMG_3677.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  73.1 KB

I never should have sold that Riviera. My wife never drove it (I did) and I wanted the money for a truck build. I figured I'd get a convertible or one or another bucket list car like '65 GTO (had one before the Rivvy) later on. Turns out that was the last car I've owned.

There is a '68 Firebird coupe not far from here I've had my eye on... just sitting. I drive by it on my way into town. Been meaning to drop by and introduce myself.

I like your match shop to house idea. My next place I want to build a carriage house for parking the old stuff by the house and a shop out back.

Tim

Old 12-18-2018, 09:27 AM   #17
67ChevyRedneck

Is the pic below the brick mimic stuff?

The other pic below is how I remember my grandparents house, except it was a dark green on the bottom and the traingle peak area below the roof was red. I thought it looked terrible as a kid

I've well documented how half assed the sheeting was installed on my house in my renovation thread. I easily spent a couple hundred, maybe even $300 on nails re-securing my sheeting before sealing it up and wrapping it. Windows/doors were never sealed and no exterior cover was ever in place. Our electric bills have been so much lower this year... There were some sheets I could wrap on with the hammer and they just shook
Attached Images

Project "On a Dime"
Old 12-18-2018, 10:06 AM   #18
special-K
Special Order

Oh yeah, that's the stuff. That first one I'd call a cut stone-like look. The sun does take it's toll I guess. That second style looks like a true creation. I've seen it and I guess it's meant to simulate fancy tin roof work, which I've also seen used on walls. My friend's shop has a salvaged tin brick panel for siding. He painted it to look more real.
Name:  IMG_1556.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  55.0 KB
Name:  IMG_1555.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  70.5 KB

When I was doing new work I'd have to nail all the outside corners before installing my corners. I'd tell the builders I'd have to start charging more for doing the framer's work before I could do mine. They'd talk to the contractor and come back with "They said they don't have a ladder". Really? Do they have a truck, saws, levels... nails? Are they charging to completely frame the house? What can I leave undone and still get paid? My reply would always be "Then they need to buy a ladder". Then it was "They don't have a way to haul it". Again... Really?? "Then they need to get ladder racks on their truck so they can build houses". All this wasted talk got tiring. I just kept on nailing their work and slipped a couple hundred buck into the invoice. That was the solution they left me with.

Tim

Last edited by special-K; 12-18-2018 at 10:18 AM.