The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-23-2018, 10:48 PM   #1
Boog
laying low

Motor Trend TV

MT has taken over the Velocity channel as of today.
What do you think of that?
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 12:58 AM   #2
davischevy

Re: Motor Trend TV

I really wasn't paying attention, but I noticed the MT ads. I really don't know what to think. Time will tell.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 03:17 AM   #3
NONHOG

I have subscribed to MT TV and I like it but watching it on TV is always a step (or two) behind my phone app. They drop shows and many have no new episodes only 2-3 minute shorts. Wish they would explain why?
Old 11-24-2018, 07:18 AM   #4
Boog
laying low

Maybe they will replace some of the same old, same old shows they've been running on Velocity with something different. I could care less about roadkill but am interested to see what other programs they have.

Old 11-24-2018, 07:36 AM   #5
special-K
Special Order

I lost respect for Motor Trend magazine when they made the AMC Matador car of the year when it came out. It was a styling disaster, most ugly car I ever saw and so many great cars were being put out that year. In time I figured out they are all about promoting products (yes they all do) and their info was very lightweight and of an opinion I didn't agree with. I see Motor Trend as entry level car stuff and never had any use for anything they did. Motorweek was too lame for me to watch. Now, somehow, they have all the money and are taking over what was once good. They obviously got there by being more about the money than the cars or offering the best info. Like their heart's not in it, just a business, and it shows. I'm about sick of this whole buy-out go big or stay home BS world we are being shoe horned into.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 08:26 AM   #6
Boog
laying low

I've never bought a MT mag so I'm no automatic fan of their shows. I am skeptical at best.

Old 11-24-2018, 09:28 AM   #7
CG
BlahBlahBlah

I have no idea what the differences are going to be. Just watch and see. As an overall view of car TV, I record a few and watch a few. They are like anything else to me, some episodes are good, some not so much. On a not so much, I turn it off or delete. Kind of hard to make a show for car/truck people that every episode is a winner.

Motor Trend has a pretty interesting history. If you go way back the magazine looked a lot like a cross between Hot Rod and Rod and Custom. I have a ton of the early Motor Trend issues. But over the years it "evolved" like so many things in to a generic shoot for the masses kind of magazines. My dad subscribed to Motor Trend, Road and Track, Sports Car Graphic, and Hot Rod from as far back as I can remember.

Ill just sit back and watch to see what happens with the new Motor Trend TV.

Couple of pictures of old issues I snagged offline. I have all of these in my collection. The Sports Car Graphic magazine with the crowd picture is kind of cool for me because my Uncle is in the picture ... See the guy with the dark hair? haha!
Attached Images

CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 10:07 AM   #8
special-K
Special Order

Motor Trend became the magazine for the Consumer Reports crowd, not car guys. That's how I see them. It was a good reference for specs and performance stats on muscle cars when they came out with something new, back in the day. I guess I'm side tracking with the magazine. I don't watch TV these days and the last years I did I wasn't willing to pay extra to get that stuff. I started out with the best of DirecTv in '04. As the prices kept going up and the smoke & mirror games with packages kept changing I ended up only willing to pay for basic. Only watched it in the winter anyway, so decided to dump it. So why did I post?

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 10:24 AM   #9
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I lost respect for Motor Trend magazine when they made the AMC Matador car of the year when it came out.
I have never paid much attention to the magazine, but any credibility they may have had evaporated when they named Chevy Citation as car of the year.

As to the TV show, I'll have to wait & see. So far it looks quite a lot like Velocity which means some good programming, some ho-hum, and some turn-off-the-TV.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 10:38 AM   #10
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

I only watched MT because they had The HotRod Mag guys shows, along with Dirt Every Day and some others. When they basically paywalled their content and stopped putting it all to their audience on YouTube, I stopped following it.

Its a shame too, cuz Roadkill and some of those shows were huuugely community driven, and even when the offered MTOD free, the community didn't follow quite the same as it did openly on YT.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 09:53 AM   #11
dirtyjim

i'm wondering how that's going to work with my mtod subscription? I was already paying directv for velocity and paying $5 a month for mtod so i shouldn't have to pay both
Old 11-27-2018, 10:40 AM   #12
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

I am doing same thing, cable and MTOD. MTOD is still supposed to have a bunch that won't make it to TV. MT has been behind Velocity for over a year now, think it more of a name change that a company change. Wonder how much of Discovery will still be intertwined with the MT channel?

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote