The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-19-2014, 10:23 PM   #1
Tree-50

Mechanical pedal to cable

This is my first post, been lurking for a week or so until I decided to make an account. I will use this as my intro thread as well! From Dallas area, picked up a nice running 68 c10 with a 350 in it and 3 on the tree. Truck runs solid, front end needs a little help and so does the stopping power but hey, its going to be my driveable project. I'm new to trucks and displacement, but not to mods, current dd is a vw passat on air, and I just got out of my built gti. The gti had about 400whp to the fronts, forged bottom end with garret gt3076r turbo, safe to say I pulled on quite a few "american muscle" heads! Plans for truck is full restoration and laying control arms for now, drop spindles, disc swap, bag kit and notch. Once that is done, then I will move onto detailing things and dress up kits.

Got the truck for cheap, no body rust so far, just a little bit on the door seals, haven't torn the rubber up but I did lift it a bit and didn't see any cab rot that I could see. So far I've adjusted the shift linkage as it was getting stuck and now it's golden, swapped out the old leaky carb with another qjet and replaced the rear shoes, springs and cylinders. Sounds like it has a mild cam already as well as but hard to really tell with the ram horns leaking a bit.

Now onto my question, it's old, so everything is mechanical, what is the easiest way to switch from rod to cable on the throttle? Is there an aftermarket pedal setup or is pulling one from a 71+ or w/e the year is the only real "easy" way to do it without fabrication...I would like to drive it lol, but there is no way right now without rigging a coat hanger since the throttle plate is for a cable and I really want this truck to be nice, not "making things work" kind of build.

Here is "LUCY!"

Tree-50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 10:37 PM   #2
michael bustamante

Re: Mechanical pedal to cable

Lokar has a nice kit but i dont know if its for a qjet. 71-72 throttle would be easiest but it would be alot easier with an adapter plate from member captfab
Old 07-20-2014, 12:08 AM   #3
Tree-50

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael bustamante View Post
Lokar has a nice kit but i dont know if its for a qjet. 71-72 throttle would be easiest but it would be alot easier with an adapter plate from member captfab
Are you saying it'd be easiest with a plate from captfab AND the 71/72 throttle?

When you say throttle, you're talking about the pedal assembly that has the cable that locks at the top, because my current is just a pedal that connects to the floor, stock 68- like this guys. That No fab link is pretty sweet though.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=334551

Last edited by Tree-50; 07-20-2014 at 12:15 AM.
Old 07-20-2014, 12:50 AM   #4
michael bustamante

Yes youd have to replce the pedal, remove the old linkage and file a square hole in the firewall. Its pretty easy actually.
Old 07-20-2014, 01:10 AM   #5
Tree-50

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael bustamante View Post
Yes youd have to replce the pedal, remove the old linkage and file a square hole in the firewall. Its pretty easy actually.
Yeah, I'll see what I can mock up, if not i'll just buy the adapter from the member here. Last question, I only see people using 72, will any year that has a cable work or is 72 special in that aspect?
Old 07-20-2014, 07:30 AM   #6
oldschool18

I used a pedal out of a 71 and got an aftermarket cable from LMC, the cable was a little long and had a corkscrew in it between the firewall and the carb. The throttle was a little tight at first but slowly loosened up.

62 Impala
70 C-10 LWB
71 K-10 SWB
85 C-10 LWB==SOLD
01 2500 HD

Members Met......2003Silverado (Dave)
oldschool18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 05:15 PM   #7
Tree-50

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipescastle2 View Post
I have an extra '71 pedal/bracket setup I had powder coated
Gloss black, it has the mounting bracket,screws and pedal but
No cable.the pedal is a driver quality
But could be replaced to match the shiny
Powder coated finish.
yours for $35 shipped.let
me know.
Ben

Wish you would have found this sooner, I got one from a junkyard on Thursday. Thanks though. It's actually a 77 from what the guy was saying but it works and is in decent shape.