The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-15-2019, 12:38 AM   #26
Chris_oz

Re: 1970 350 quadrajet questions.

Hello again,

It has been a little while since I began the carb rebuild, but work and holidays get in the way.

I got it all back together, fitted stock jetting and rods in, and it all seems to run ok.

I had an issue with the float hitting the plastic block that locks it in place before closing, but a little careful bending saw it sorted out with the correct float level.

I have done a few short trips to work and back, it was back to its old self of around 12-13mpg in town, so it was not too bad.

It was however still rich on cruise and light throttle.

Having the tuning kit sitting there made me start playing, so I have fitted 0.073 jets and .045 rods, it is much better but still a little rich on cruise

I can remove a large vacuum hose from the manifold at idle and the rpm increase by 80-100 rpm which tell me I have a rich condition, idle neddles are set at 1.25 turn out, it has 20inHG vacuum at idle and runs well, its just rich.

I removed the accel pump arm and snap the throttle, it is cleaner than with it hooked up, it will even drive with it disconnected, not great, but it will drive.

I have checked the Power piston is bottoming out, it stays put until
11-12inHg vacuum, I have not driven yet with the vacuum gauge in the cab, that is this weekend.

I tried a lighter Power Piston spring, but it was too light and caused a bog at low speed, I am very close to getting it right, once I am happy, I will hook up the wide band O2 gauge and see how I went.

I dont have any bigger rods, only smaller jets, but am mindfull of making it too lean when the power piston is up, so I may need to buy some bigger rods.

Some playing on the weekend will tell.
Chris_oz is offline   Reply With Quote