The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-18-2020, 07:57 AM   #1
mygmctruck1

Nerf Bars

Who has installed nerf bars on your truck using the cab mounting points as instructions call for ?

I have but there seems to be a lot of flex from the rubber mounts , what am I missing here ?
mygmctruck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 10:36 AM   #2
Jcfcamaro

Re: Nerf Bars

Following... was looking at installing bars or a single step,but slot of them bolt to the back side of rocker which to me isn't strong enough.
Jcfcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 10:32 PM   #3
Sheepdip

I've got a pair of SS ones I ordered along with new cab mounts that I have not gotten to installing yet. I could see right away that there is going to be way to much flex from leverage.

My plan is to get them mounted and positioned where I want them, then look at supporting them with a u-strap or such down from the floorboard of the cab to take away the leverage factor.

I'll tackle it when I get them in position to see what the options are.
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 09:04 AM   #4
mygmctruck1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdip View Post
I've got a pair of SS ones I ordered along with new cab mounts that I have not gotten to installing yet. I could see right away that there is going to be way to much flex from leverage.

My plan is to get them mounted and positioned where I want them, then look at supporting them with a u-strap or such down from the floorboard of the cab to take away the leverage factor.

I'll tackle it when I get them in position to see what the options are.
I am not to fond of that idea but it maybe the only way.
Old 03-19-2020, 09:22 AM   #5
Sheepdip

Quote:
Originally Posted by mygmctruck1 View Post
I am not to fond of that idea but it maybe the only way.
I'm not excited about it either but I think if you tackle it with a good plan to limit the options for rust to get introduced it can be accomplished.

One option I'm leaning towards is rivet nuts installed with a good sealer and sealed again after all the components are in place, I believe it can be made very water/rust proof with a little pre engineering.

Only has to outlast me!
Old 03-19-2020, 09:59 AM   #6
mygmctruck1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdip View Post
I'm not excited about it either but I think if you tackle it with a good plan to limit the options for rust to get introduced it can be accomplished.

One option I'm leaning towards is rivet nuts installed with a good sealer and sealed again after all the components are in place, I believe it can be made very water/rust proof with a little pre engineering.

Only has to outlast me!
I’m not so sure about a rivnut , I was leaning toward a small 4x4 piece of metal at both ends and. Flush head bolt welded to it . Bolt thru floor and rod coupler and hang it that way. There is some on this site that have installed nerf bars , I have PMed them but no replay as of yet .
Old 03-19-2020, 10:29 AM   #7
Sheepdip

Quote:
Originally Posted by mygmctruck1 View Post
I’m not so sure about a rivnut , I was leaning toward a small 4x4 piece of metal at both ends and. Flush head bolt welded to it . Bolt thru floor and rod coupler and hang it that way. There is some on this site that have installed nerf bars , I have PMed them but no replay as of yet .
Usually more than one option...I'll tackle it when I get there.