The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-27-2020, 11:34 AM   #1
SCOTI

Ridetech C10 Delrin Bushings

Curious if anybody on here has used the RideTech 'Delrin' a-arm bushings?
Any comments you might care to share?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 07:05 PM   #2
Ziegelsteinfaust

Re: Ridetech C10 Delrin Bushings

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Curious if anybody on here has used the RideTech 'Delrin' a-arm bushings?
Any comments you might care to share?
I have used them in a Camaros/Novas along with poly urethane bushings on similar cars.

If handling, and that firm ride is what your after they do fit the bill. Not any more noticeable then polyurethane to me.

Personally I prefer PST's polygraphite. The price is better, and I didn't notice any handling benefits. Believe me I drove them like they were stolen.

If your going to track the truck then there maybe a benefit I never noticed them on the street.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 12:00 AM   #3
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust View Post
I have used them in a Camaros/Novas along with poly urethane bushings on similar cars.

If handling, and that firm ride is what your after they do fit the bill. Not any more noticeable then polyurethane to me.

Personally I prefer PST's polygraphite. The price is better, and I didn't notice any handling benefits. Believe me I drove them like they were stolen.

If your going to track the truck then there maybe a benefit I never noticed them on the street.
No track time. Just amazed @ the binding associated when the rubber bushed a-arms are tightened to spec. How the heck can the spring & shock do their job when the arm doesn't rotate w/o bind....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 03-28-2020, 12:53 AM   #4
Ziegelsteinfaust

I am not a bushing expert, but your only supposed to tighten any bushing when it is loaded on the ground.

Bushing material is up to you in the concept of your truck, and what you want.

Standard rubber is a good bushing material, and should not be discounted. As the best comes down to end goals.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 02:19 PM   #5
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust View Post
I am not a bushing expert, but your only supposed to tighten any bushing when it is loaded on the ground.

Bushing material is up to you in the concept of your truck, and what you want.

Standard rubber is a good bushing material, and should not be discounted. As the best comes down to end goals.
Correct. Tighten things up w/weight & compression on the vehicle.

Do that. Then, lift/put the vehicle on jack stands, disassemble it enough to allow movement through the arc of travel allowed, & see how much you can move the arms.

My logic is if the suspension arms have to fight the bushings just to move, how much is the spring & shock functionality negated and or impacted vs. a set-up that allows things to actually pivot w/o bind?

Wrap duct tape tightly around a hinge that can easily pivot 90° & then try to move/pivot the hinge ends. You have not changed anything w/the hinge but it no longer pivots as it should.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 03-29-2020, 10:32 PM   #6
KMC3420

Do the ride tech Delrin bushings work with stock upper/lower control arms for 67-72 as the steel bushings thread in. Are these designed to work with 73 and up control arms? Looking at the pictures the Delrin bushing sleeves look smooth versus being threaded. I made the mistake of torquing my upper/lower control arms to spec with the frame lifted versus loaded and experienced binding when attempting to put my upper bump stops in. I now have to loosen the control arm shaft bushing caps, lower and then torque. I also don’t have any weight on it, it’s just a roller at this point. When I use my body weight 200 lbs. the front end doesn’t compress much, it’s pretty stiff. I think this is due to torquing my control arm shafts with the front end off the ground.
Old 03-30-2020, 10:15 AM   #7
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC3420 View Post
Do the ride tech Delrin bushings work with stock upper/lower control arms for 67-72 as the steel bushings thread in. Are these designed to work with 73 and up control arms? Looking at the pictures the Delrin bushing sleeves look smooth versus being threaded. I made the mistake of torquing my upper/lower control arms to spec with the frame lifted versus loaded and experienced binding when attempting to put my upper bump stops in. I now have to loosen the control arm shaft bushing caps, lower and then torque. I also don’t have any weight on it, it’s just a roller at this point. When I use my body weight 200 lbs. the front end doesn’t compress much, it’s pretty stiff. I think this is due to torquing my control arm shafts with the front end off the ground.
Here is some reading on the use of the bushings for 67-72's. I questioned about the different style (threaded shell vs. press-fit)….

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...light=ridetech

I have very early versions of Ridetech tubular a-arms (1st batch). They utilized the press-fit 73-87 style bushings. The Delrin pieces look like replacements for them. I've never really looked @ the earlier threaded bushing/63-72 arms to confirm what it would take to install the RT/Delrin set-up.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Last edited by SCOTI; 03-30-2020 at 10:21 AM.
Old 03-30-2020, 10:59 AM   #8
KMC3420

Quote:
Here is some reading on the use of the bushings for 67-72's. I questioned about the different style (threaded shell vs. press-fit)….

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...light=ridetech

I have very early versions of Ridetech tubular a-arms (1st batch). They utilized the press-fit 73-87 style bushings. The Delrin pieces look like replacements for them. I've never really looked @ the earlier threaded bushing/63-72 arms to confirm what it would take to install the RT/Delrin set-up.
Interesting, it appears John is stating the press fit Delrin shells can be pressed into the threaded control arms(63-72). I might take a closer look at these. The price seems quite high, but since they are supposed to work with stock upper/lower control arms that is a plus.
Old 03-30-2020, 11:20 AM   #9
SCOTI

Quote:
Interesting, it appears John is stating the press fit Delrin shells can be pressed into the threaded control arms(63-72). I might take a closer look at these. The price seems quite high, but since they are supposed to work with stock upper/lower control arms that is a plus.
I ordered some but might be returning them. After doing some additional mock-up (in preparation for disassembly to get the new parts installed), I think I'll need narrowed a-arms. I'm waiting on some feedback now from a buddy that has a similar set-up to see what his specifics required. If I need narrowed arms, they come w/Delrin bushings already installed.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 03-30-2020, 11:43 AM   #10
KMC3420

Quote:
I ordered some but might be returning them. After doing some additional mock-up (in preparation for disassembly to get the new parts installed), I think I'll need narrowed a-arms. I'm waiting on some feedback now from a buddy that has a similar set-up to see what his specifics required. If I need narrowed arms, they come w/Delrin bushings already installed.
Gotcha, I see quite a few tubular upper/lowers that come with them installed as standard equipment, but those are typically 1K plus cost wise. Let me know if they don't work out for you, I might be interested if you are going to return them. I am going to loosen my upper/lower caps on my stock shafts hopefully tonight and see if I can get more range of motion. Right now I have my frame on all 4 wheels and cant get it to hardly budge on the front end, so installing the upper bump stops is impossible, with no weight on the front.
Old 03-30-2020, 01:21 PM   #11
SCOTI

Quote:
Gotcha, I see quite a few tubular upper/lowers that come with them installed as standard equipment, but those are typically 1K plus cost wise. Let me know if they don't work out for you, I might be interested if you are going to return them. I am going to loosen my upper/lower caps on my stock shafts hopefully tonight and see if I can get more range of motion. Right now I have my frame on all 4 wheels and cant get it to hardly budge on the front end, so installing the upper bump stops is impossible, with no weight on the front.
Truth.... The narrowed set-up that works w/my front suspension is $1g. But, it is what it is. Not about add $300 in parts to arms I can't use on this project. The rubber bushings in the current arms have no road miles & have been stored inside. I was only going to swap as an upgrade & don't need upgraded parts sitting on a shelf.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 03-30-2020, 05:11 PM   #12
KMC3420

Quote:
Truth.... The narrowed set-up that works w/my front suspension is $1g. But, it is what it is. Not about add $300 in parts to arms I can't use on this project. The rubber bushings in the current arms have no road miles & have been stored inside. I was only going to swap as an upgrade & don't need upgraded parts sitting on a shelf.
Smart move Scoti, I have bought a few duplicate parts in that I purchased the OE, then the upgrade version. It can nickle and dime you to death.