The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-19-2017, 04:05 PM   #1
87Skier

Parts list for 4L60E rebuild

I am gathering parts to rebuild my 4L60E. Transmission is from a 1996 Suburban, but it was a rebuilt unit and is tagged as a 1997. The sun shell failed. I believe that the splines have been stripped out on it, but I have not been inside the transmission to check.

The vehicle will stay stock, so I'm trying to figure out what I actually need. I want a reliable transmission, but also don't want to spend $1000 on the rebuild.

How does this parts list look:

ACDelco sun shell and sun gear kit
Torque converter - reman. (stock stall)
Overhaul kit (with band, frictions, bonded pistons, steels, filters, etc...). Should I go with ALTO HEG stuff or Borg Warner stuff?

Thrust washer kit
Corvette servo
New accumulators and springs
3rd accumulator checkball and seat
13 vane pump kit

Pressure regulator spring
overrun clutch return spring
Borg Warner forward sprag and low/reverse sprag
Unbreakable pump ring kit
Transgo boost valve .500

Transgo separator plate
Sonnax wide sun gear bushing
Sonnax wide stator bushing
Torrington bearing kit

This seems overkill for a stock engine with 250 hp/330 tq. Is there anything I should skip? Anything I should add?
87Skier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 06:59 PM   #2
YoungPup1977
Account Suspended

Re: Parts list for 4L60E rebuild

take pic of your bushing driver's....let us see what tools you have...replace your bushings...thats a good start.
YoungPup1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 02:25 AM   #3
clinebarger

Test the 3rd Accumulator checkball, If it has minor leakage....Re-seat the checkball with a flat nosed punch with a couple raps with a small hammer from the valve body side of the case.

Use Plate GM# 24244053. https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-24244...words=24244053

If your going to buy a Pump Kit....Get a 10 Vane.
Pump Slide Pins are usually worn on these. The Trans Go hi rev rings are pretty good as is the slide spring it comes with.

I don't like using steel boost valve sleeves in a 4L60E, I don't feel like going on a rant about some of Trans Go's mediocre consumer grade products.
Sonnax 4L60E-LB1 is a Aluminum Sleeve .490 Boost Valve, Comes with a 10% over PR Spring.....https://www.amazon.com/4L60E-Boost-V...ords=4L60E-LB1
Never mind the .500" advertisement....It's .490".

Use this spring along with the White servo cushion spring when using a 093/Vette servo......https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-86811...o+servo+spring

Large (DX) truck Accumulator Valves generally cause a harsh 2nd gear when paired with a vette servo, Install a CX accumulator valve & sleeve from a Camaro/Corvette or put a lighter spring in it. Sonnax has 700 coded accumulator valve/sleeve/spring kits.

I use Borg Warner friction modules.
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 01:04 PM   #4
Daaaanz67

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinebarger View Post
Test the 3rd Accumulator checkball, If it has minor leakage....Re-seat the checkball with a flat nosed punch with a couple raps with a small hammer from the valve body side of the case.

Use Plate GM# 24244053. https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-24244...words=24244053

If your going to buy a Pump Kit....Get a 10 Vane.
Pump Slide Pins are usually worn on these. The Trans Go hi rev rings are pretty good as is the slide spring it comes with.

I don't like using steel boost valve sleeves in a 4L60E, I don't feel like going on a rant about some of Trans Go's mediocre consumer grade products.
Sonnax 4L60E-LB1 is a Aluminum Sleeve .490 Boost Valve, Comes with a 10% over PR Spring.....https://www.amazon.com/4L60E-Boost-V...ords=4L60E-LB1
Never mind the .500" advertisement....It's .490".

Use this spring along with the White servo cushion spring when using a 093/Vette servo......https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-86811...o+servo+spring

Large (DX) truck Accumulator Valves generally cause a harsh 2nd gear when paired with a vette servo, Install a CX accumulator valve & sleeve from a Camaro/Corvette or put a lighter spring in it. Sonnax has 700 coded accumulator valve/sleeve/spring kits.

I use Borg Warner friction modules.
Cline thanks for always stepping up and helping out this truck community. Getting ready to retire and plan on making a trip to Texas liberty hills to visit a retired friend I should just bring a trans with me for a quick rebuild.
Daaaanz67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 11:20 AM   #5
Gothurisi

Sorry guys to up old thread, but I have some questions. Hope you will help.

I am not rebuilding...yet...but I have a question regarding the tail/output shaft of the tranny that goes through the extension housing and connects to the driveshaft. The tail shaft squeaks when I turn it in one direction when the van (2001 Safari cargovan RWD) is in neutral. Also, there is close to a 1/4" movement at the end of the shaft with the extension housing removed.

I don't see any way of removing the output shaft for inspection without removing the tranny and tearing it down. Thought maybe since you've torn one apart that you might be able to shed some light on the innards.

I am curious as to whether you'd know what might be squeaking and whether the movement is excessive. The squeak comes from deeper in the tranny and when I move the driveshaft end of the output shaft the bearing/bushing/seal where the shaft enters the tranny housing moves noticeably.

I'm concerned because I get a repetitive turning noise that I first associated with the rear end. The gear teeth in the rear end look good, the clearances are OK, the teeth mesh fine, and I replaced the pinion and carrier bearing a couple of years ago.

Is there anything in the tranny that could cause such a low, almost growling noise that repeats every rev? I replaced the bushing and seal on the driveshaft end of the extension housing.

And can you advise some transmisssion to rebuild? I want World Wide Parts 4L60E like this https://mechanicguides.com/best-4l60e-rebuild-kit/.

Thanks.
Gothurisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 03:28 PM   #6
87Skier

If it's moving 1/4" then you have some problems.

i had a similar experience to yours where I thought something was wrong with my transmission because I couldn't figure out where the noise was coming from and found that when I turned the driveshaft by hand that the transmission squeaked. The squeak turned out to be nothing, and the issue was actually a u-joint. I guess when I checked them that the brake didn't hold it and it rolled against the park pawl so it appeared tight.

The 1/4" movement is probably because the output shaft snap ring has broken. This is allowing the shaft to slide forward or backward and probably ride against something. The output shaft snap ring is about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way into a teardown. You will need to remove the valve body, pump, and input drum at the very least to get to the parts.

Not sure if you are planning on rebuilding yourself or taking somewhere, but at the point you can get to the output shaft there isn't much reason to not just rebuild the entire thing.
87Skier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 11:34 PM   #7
YoungPup1977
Account Suspended

If the snap ring at the front planet was broke, you would be able to pull the output shaft out of the rear of the transmission. (4L60E)

The movement sounds like an up and down movement not a in and out movement of the output shaft which maybe the case bushing is worn.

The squeak that you are hearing maybe the center support sprag, just a guess.. can not hear it from my shop floor.

Good luck !!
YoungPup1977 is offline   Reply With Quote